Delistings - predictions 2020

Wicks and Amartley are 3yr rookies what is their future?
IIRC we have to upgrade them or delist them. I think Wicks should stay on, Amartey might depend on whether we can get another ruck in the interim, but I think he's probably up against it.

FTR there's usually more delistings later in the year (these are just the primary ones), I guess we'll wait for further list cuts confirmation.

I don't agree with the negative views on Bell. His contested possession numbers can be huge. Tackle numbers huge. In terms of endurance, speed, efforts and sprints he is always up the top. If there is one thing that became clear as the season wore on, it was that a good side does not simply consist of papleys. There must be the grunt workers, the tacklers, and the extractors. Bell is one of these and I know he is very highly regarded by the swans for these traits.
I am all for grunt and hard work but Bell I often saw avoid contests, be late to contests and get in the way of others such as Reid and Papley. Whenever he had the ball I thought he was poor with disposal as well. Now, I might only be remembering few moments but that is the impression I have of him

Our biggest achievement with Knoll was pissing off Dodo & the Essendon recruitment team
HOF right there imo

Sep 4, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I am all for grunt and hard work but Bell I often saw avoid contests, be late to contests and get in the way of others such as Reid and Papley. Whenever he had the ball I thought he was poor with disposal as well. Now, I might only be remembering few moments but that is the impression I have of him

HOF right there imo
My last memory of Bell was him knocking himself out in a contest trying to get a ball that wasn't his. Plenty of attack on the footy but needs more game sense

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
IIRC we have to upgrade them or delist them. I think Wicks should stay on, Amartey might depend on whether we can get another ruck in the interim, but I think he's probably up against it.

FTR there's usually more delistings later in the year (these are just the primary ones), I guess we'll wait for further list cuts confirmation.
Wicks can be a 3rd year cat b

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't agree with the negative views on Bell. His contested possession numbers can be huge. Tackle numbers huge. In terms of endurance, speed, efforts and sprints he is always up the top. If there is one thing that became clear as the season wore on, it was that a good side does not simply consist of papleys. There must be the grunt workers, the tacklers, and the extractors. Bell is one of these and I know he is very highly regarded by the swans for these traits.

I think he is one of the best tacklers in our team. A lot of players hesitate and corral. But Bell quickly drives in with his shoulder and holds the ball in when he has made the tackle.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Can he? I have a vague memory of him and Amartey being upgraded so they could play this year? Not sure of the rules surrounding Cat B rookies

I think Cat B rookies needed to be temporarily moved to the senior list to play AFL. (When a senior player had been placed on the long term injury list)

But Cat A rookies are now allowed to play AFL without being moved to the senior list.

I think Wicks was a 2nd year Cat B rookie this year. O'Connor was a 1st year Cat B rookie but international players usually get 2 year contracts. Not sure about Bell, he was either a 3rd year Cat B rookie this year or there was speculation he signed a senior list contract at the end of last year.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
ET is a contracted senior player. He would have to be traded. Therefore his contract needs to be broken for cause before delisting. Sentencing is probably the circuit breaker.
Not sure that's correct. He's been convicted - sentencing won't alter that.

I honestly fail to see how a conviction for domestic violence isn't enough to be deemed a breach warranting dismissal.

Anyway, time will tell. The Swan's legal people will be all over it.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Michael Knoll, Jack Maibaum, Harry Reynolds, Brady Rowles, and Ryley Stoddart have been delisted.
I know it has to happen but I never like hearing about young players being cut. Their hopes and dreams are in tatters. I only hope they show the same resilience that got them on a list in the first place and find another calling. Good luck guys.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Stoddart was one good confidence boosting game away from having a future in AFL IMO. Thought he and McInerney combined well in NEAFL.
I think if he managed to latch onto somewhere like Geelong who probably need a bunch of cheapies to go with their new big money signings he might do ok as a running halfback.
Probably in the minority on him though.🤷‍♂️

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Stoddart was one good confidence boosting game away from having a future in AFL IMO. Thought he and McInerney combined well in NEAFL.
I think if he managed to latch onto somewhere like Geelong who probably need a bunch of cheapies to go with their new big money signings he might do ok as a running halfback.
Probably in the minority on him though.🤷‍♂️
Watched Stoddart pretty closely since his drafting. Good in NEAFL. A good player in space but at AFL level couldn't either find or create that space that was needed to perform his role. As a result he seemed to get a bit panicky.
Sad.

Back