Certified Legendary Thread Delusional Pearlers IV

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the same as the old Heppell can't kick the ball 40m rubbish I see trotted out by various mouthbreathers around the joint.
i remember Goddard used to think that too- until Heppel told him to GTFO and dobbed the goal from 60.

Not to mention how they got McGrath. So, after being severely penalised, they finished last ( as was highly expected) then REWARDED a first draft pick. Where is the ****** sense in that??? I will never respect this club nor the AFL for that matter

Money. Same reason why 99% of AFL decisions are made that way. Essendon* has one of the largest supporterbases, fawning over them is a proven money spinner. I imagine most of those in the media doing the fawning privately loathe the club as much as we do, but are paid to be semi-convincing hypocrites.

Same reason nobody in the media will ever have a bad word to say about Sydney whereas Hawthorn is fair game. The financial consequences of every word and statement is calculated in advance. Welcome to a world run by narrow-minded bean counters, little wonder its become a morally bankrupt shithole.

Let's play guess the board

Heppell is elite at not being elite at anything.

Given Essendon is crying out for an elite contested ball winner, it's amazing the amount of flack he avoids in this regard.

He is one of the least damaging 25+ disposal winners in the game, pretty much every stat backs it up.

He may be above Atley (who you are calling terrible anyway), but he's still a bog average midfielder.

All it takes is a few people to start circulating it and then the ol' confirmation bias kicks in - they'll miss the 25 touches where he has an impact and only notice the one where he might kick backwards or turn it over. You can't win...
It's the same as the old Heppell can't kick the ball 40m rubbish I see trotted out by various mouthbreathers around the joint.

An example from the Hawthrone board last night...

McGrath played like a guy with no self belief last night. Was busy, but was so safe with his disposal (sideways handballs) that didn’t really hurt or open up play.

I know not every disposal can be a match changing switch of play, but there was nothing last night that said “woah sit back, McGrath is in town and the game is about to change”
Interesting. I didn't see all the match and at one point was listening to the radio, ABC commentators were waxing lyrical about something he did, saying he'll be a star blah blah. Think I'll go with your assessment.

Could be in his own head. A side effect of winning the Rising Star last year could be now he's feeling like he has to live up to it and that's making him play it safe with his disposal rather than playing his natural game, which is honestly very good. I didn't watch the game last night so just going off your assessment here.

He delivered a great piece of play in the last that led to a goal, but had some horrendous turnovers early in the game (like most players to be honest. Skills were at round 1 level overall).

But he was playing a “link in the chain” role rather than any real playmaking.

I'm sure he'll be quite good eventually. He finds it a fair bit for a young guy and plays within his limits. But I just haven't seen 'it' yet.

Last night was one of the best games he's played but still, it was that sort of story you're describing. 17 of his 26 disposals were handballs, with only his last play looking like it had an effect in busting something open. It was mostly just being a second or third link in a handball chain coming out of defense where Essendon were outnumbering Adelaide. Four turnovers, one rebound 50, one inside 50, only 226m gained (about 8m per disposal) with 50m+ coming from that single kick at the end. To put that in perspective, Ricky Henderson had more metres gained in 17 of the 18 games he played last year, ostensibly playing a similar outside utility/link up role.

He's only started his second year, so he'll probably improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An example from the Hawthrone board last night...
McGrath played like a guy with no self belief last night. Was busy, but was so safe with his disposal (sideways handballs) that didn’t really hurt or open up play.

I know not every disposal can be a match changing switch of play, but there was nothing last night that said “woah sit back, McGrath is in town and the game is about to change”
giphy.gif
Thanks BomberFan355, was waiting for this gif. Be great if McGrath can find some self belief down the track. Coaches are just going to have to keep telling him "Its okay mate, you're doing okay"

Allow me to venture into the twilight zone for a moment.

Bevo is a 'spiritual nimben type kook' we know this. so we must think along surfie-stoner lines to make sense of this s**t sandwich...

Could it be possible, that Bevo knew, or held the belief that we would lose today given players available, which would have gone totally against his "I believe in you" motto, thus used this experimental setup as an excuse as to why we lost, pulling all blame onto himself/ We know he can be pretty selfless.

In essence tanking the game to not kill confidence with us giving our best line up and effort and losing. It is quite clear we are a team that runs on emotion? The Libba injury was clearly an unforeseen edition of s**t to eat.

IF... I repeat IF, the line up next week is back to normal, with minimal experimentation, then i will call shenanigans on this GWS game.

If the line up and lah-lah land positioning is once again used... then i will curl up into a corner and wait the year out, coz it's gonna get ugly, real ugly.

That's the best I got, other than the Alfred Hitchcock version, but that is best not posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back