Certified Legendary Thread Delusional Pearlers IV

Remove this Banner Ad

We got played guys. This Hawks poster reads body language as a profession and Dodoro's fist pump was fake. We didn't want Mozzie.

Beerfish

We didn’t want Shiel either.

Hawthorn called our bluff and pulled out, and now we’re stuck with him.

I might be missing the obvious, but what's the joke here?

That's because he's tucked his tail between his legs and run off in sheer embarrassment.

But don't worry, I saved it...

TRAV20.png

What our little genius did, is bump the thread by quoting that post, not realizing that the highlighted text was there.

So he thought he'd stumbled across a sick burn, went bump, only for Lance to spot that he'd just made an ass of himself.

The funny thing is, even when Lance was trying to point out what he had done - he still didn't get it.

TRAV202.png

Of course by this point, I've seen the notification, and realised what this absolute clown had done. Meanwhile, Lance is AGAIN trying to help him out:

TRAV203.png

It gets better though.

A quick scan of the thread reveals that the exact same dullard made the exact same mistake with the exact same post a year ago...

TRAV204.png

But even then, at the third attempt, he STILL. DOESN'T. GET IT.

Finally, at the fourth try, he realises why he's being laughed at, and scurries to try delete all his posts calling me 'idiot' and 'fool' etc, now realising he's just made an absolute ass of himself.

TRAV205.png

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn are just victims said:
Good to see a slightly more considered response.

The issue is (as has been recently) the difference in how Hawthorn have weighted trade value (be it draft pick number or player) vs the reputation and credibility gained with players (their own and other teams) that they will put the player first.

GC (and AFL) used and abused that with JOM. Hawthorn met GC initial trade demands, then GC moved the goalposts. HFC went to AFL, and AFL backed the GC - Hawthorn, having made a commitment to JOM went above and beyond to honour the deal. Eventually the AFL forced the GC to take the trade as it was weighted so far in their favour. (Saints just the lucky club to win the bonus picks so GC could save face despite the final offer being substantially less 'value' than the first offer made.

If JOM comes back "as good as he was" pre-knees then it's a fair price, but that would be extremely doubtful IMO. A "Burgoyne/Cyril-esque" player (MVP quality, but only available in bursts due to injury/fitness) a small loss, with a large over-payment the most likely outcome.

Similarly, HFC accepted substantial "unders" in return for Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis - all of whom allowed (encouraged) to negotiate their own best deal as a thank you for years of underpayment. The club then took what it was offered, no fuss.

Since that time, HFC has been far more guarded in it's stated intentions and media release.

This then contributed to losing Burton when Port cynically played the media and Ryan's family with "mis-truths" which HFC did nothing to deny publically, and by the time they contacted Ryan (early morning in US), he'd already seen Australian media, spoken with family and the storyline was set. HFC then followed their "player welfare first" mantra, essentially giving him to Port as per his wishes in the Wingard trade.

There have been quite a few 'unlucky' misses in the last 12 months, which no doubt colours the general public's view.

Lynch - HFC was the only club that could meet all of his stated demands (public and in negotiation) - salary, no senior players cut/traded, easy move without GC matching. HFC was very confident, especially as GC could not match (nor could any other club) the negotiated deal. He then signed for RFC, compromising on his demands to get a longer contract term (but less money in yr.1+2 - allowing GC to match and trade). The AFL had to 'encourage' GC to not match the offer and RFC helped grease the wheels a little. HFC had spent close to 2 years on that bid - according to a few sources Clarko having committed to Lynch ala JOM "at the expense of everything else".

Gaff - HFC was an option before the incident, NM was always the $$ offer, HFC offered the community/support/success but after the incident Gaff's mental state was such that Clarkson (no doubt amongst other confidants) encouraged him to stay at the Eagles.

Shiel - HFC was a frontrunner, along with EFC and Carlton. Shiel and GWS were happy to go whoever offered up most, Shiel not wanting to be the 'main man', wanting a good midfield around him. EFC offered 2x1st, GWS informed other clubs of offer, HFC told GWS they wouldn't offer that. GWS told Shiel's management of HFC withdrawal (Carlton/EFC left), Shiel (classy move) rang each coach individually to advise he was going to EFC and his manager started finalising contract with EFC. EFC then backed out of 2x1st deal, GWS re-opened negotiations with HFC. Scully deal enabled GWS to keep Shiel (who again showing his professionalism was happy to stay), with EFC eventually forced to hand over the 2x1st picks.

It's doubtful Hawthorn could have landed all of Lynch, Gaff, Shiel - and even if they did it would certainly have ruled out Wingard and Scully (probably keeping Burton). It is, however indicative of the value that a sizeable 'warchest', and being an attractive destination (recent success, historical success, financial stability, large membership and of course Clarkson and his coaching legacy) has in catching the eye of prospective players.

Hawthorn rate their recruitment and development - seeing little difference in value of picks 6-20, 21-50, etc. Due to success they haven't had regular access to top-10 picks the regular cellar-dwellars like Carlton, EFC and Melbourne have. They believe they have the best medical/rehab/fitness team, and have used this to their advantage when dealing with less professional teams - getting players for unders. They regularly 'make it simple' by paying overs/accepting unders in trades, working on a community culture amongst the players (which they no doubt utilise when negotiating salaries, hence the continual growth of the warchest in cap space). Finally, they have Clarkson - who has half the league as former proteges, and whose counsel is sought by many players (young and established) for his reputation as being able to provide compassion and understanding, guidance and direction without "wearing a HFC cap".

It remains to be seen if it can be continued into the future and generate anything more than finals and top-4, but when dealt with the cards/picks that Hawthorn have been given over the last decade - IMO they have done remarkably well.

Wow. He/she even says

Due to success they haven't had regular access to top-10 picks the regular cellar-dwellars like Carlton, EFC and Melbourne have

I guess linchpins like Franklin, Roughead, Lewis and let's not forget old mate Hodge, not to mention guys like Rioli at pick 12, did nothing towards their successful period.

Wow. He/she even says

I guess linchpins like Franklin, Roughead, Lewis and let's not forget old mate Hodge, not to mention guys like Rioli at pick 12, did nothing towards their successful period.
We have been bottom four 3 times in the last 10 years with one of those years having all our players out but yeah cellar dwellers we be

Thats the biggest load of bollocks i've read for a long time. Had everything.

Edit: Actually it is on par with the guy who reads body language as part of his job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Balwyn North are closer to an AFL flag than West Coast or Fremantle.

Found this pearler from back in January. So I had to wonder whether Jade picked out the eventual premier each year and dissed them. Which led me to this pearler from March 2017:

****in LOL.

Richmond aren't winning a flag.

And then from June 2017, in the middle of Richmond's premiership-winning year:

I'd be careful if I were you - Richmond does not have a flag capable list, you'll be anchored to the bottom of the ladder sooner rather than later.

Oh, but can Jade possibly do it three years in a row? Here's the answer:

So I repeat my assertion, I've seen the best the Dogs have, and it is not good enough to win the flag.

Found this pearler from back in January. So I had to wonder whether Jade picked out the eventual premier each year and dissed them. Which led me to this pearler from March 2017:

And then from June 2017, in the middle of Richmond's premiership-winning year:

Oh, but can Jade possibly do it three years in a row? Here's the answer:

Keep looking, you’ll find plenty more.

I reckon you’d have to go back to 2009 to find a year I haven’t had a crack at the eventual premier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back