Certified Legendary Thread Delusional Pearlers IV

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have no idea about Billiards so I stay away from it

Nah, Tendulkar isn't even the best player of his era IMO (I'd have Lara, Kallis and Sangakkara ahead). Bradman had to deal with uncovered pitches that most of the time suited bowlers. Bradman would average 150 in the current era, given how much easier it is to bat on.

If there's one GOAT that is universal, it's Bradman. Statistically there is no such disparity in world sport than him to everyone else.
  • Won’t go on too much about cricket beyond this post but just wanted to add Ponting and Richards to those you’ve mentioned. Nobody has scored as many runs as Ponting to average 60 during their career (over 9000 before tailing off in his latter years). And Richards, likewise (before tailing off) is the only ‘modern’ player to be regularly averaging above 60 for a substantial part of his career. Both were true match-winners and entertainers who I rate above Tendulkar (marginally).
The below link is one of the best articles at explaining the great batsmen.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1009335.html

• Won’t go on too much about cricket beyond this post but just wanted to add Ponting and Richards to those you’ve mentioned. Nobody has scored as many runs as Ponting to average 60 during their career (over 9000 before tailing off in his latter years). And Richards, likewise (before tailing off) is the only ‘modern’ player to be regularly averaging above 60 for a substantial part of his career. Both were true match-winners and entertainers who I rate above Tendulkar (marginally).
The below link is one of the best articles at explaining the great batsmen.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1009335.html
I don't count Viv as the same era. Ponting is around the same level for me.

i’d be interested in ranking who’s the greatest knob in cricket history?
Ponting
McGrath
Warner

would be my top three- all Aussies!
Warne and Ian Chappell miles ahead of all three.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
And what about Jack Nicklaus and rod laver from that list? The same thing applies, incredibly difficult to compare eras.

You can’t really, all you can do is look at how they compare to the other players of their era.

Would many of the past AFL greats be as good in the modern game; probably not.

Most of the KPPs would be too short for a start.

I have no idea about Billiards so I stay away from it

Nah, Tendulkar isn't even the best player of his era IMO (I'd have Lara, Kallis and Sangakkara ahead). Bradman had to deal with uncovered pitches that most of the time suited bowlers. Bradman would average 150 in the current era, given how much easier it is to bat on.

If there's one GOAT that is universal, it's Bradman. Statistically there is no such disparity in world sport than him to everyone else.

Very debatable.

Wayne Gretsky - ice hockey
Jahangir Khan - squash
Michael Phelps - swimming
Kelly Slater - surfing

Could easily find more names who's records stack up just as well against their opposition as Bradman, if not more so.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Very debatable.

Wayne Gretsky - ice hockey
Jahangir Khan - squash
Michael Phelps - swimming
Kelly Slater - surfing

Could easily find more names who's records stack up just as well against their opposition as Bradman, if not more so.

I have a mate who defines sport as being judged objectively, so any activity such as surfing or diving would not meet the criteria.
I'm not sure I agree with him completely, but I find it a valid opinion.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have a mate who defines sport as being judged objectively, so any activity such as surfing or diving would not meet the criteria.
I'm not sure I agree with him completely, but I find it a valid opinion.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The judging of surfing and diving is far less subjective than a statement like Bradman being universally the greatest sportsman of all time.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
The judging of surfing and diving is far less subjective than a statement like Bradman being universally the greatest sportsman of all time.
I disagree
I do agree that Bradman was probably the greatest sportsman in his particular sport, but I can't state that unequivocally as I am unaware of the histories of every sport
That's my 2 cents worth

Oh great, so someone just switched the BF colour schema to * colours EDIT so thats what the light bulb icon does , meanwhile port owning wc over in the west, and we meet them next week. The hits just keep on coming.

Norf fan finds the dark theme.
Blames it on BF rubbing it into his team's performance.
Port beating West Coast.
God conspiring against them.

Amazing

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Couldnt think of a more apt place to put this

Am a one eyed Essendon supporter. People rub in the fact we haven't won a final in 15 years. I calmly remind people we won a flag in 2000. Most supporter bases shut up after reminding them this is the end goal and not making September football. Shuts a few people up

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
A Hawkes fan giving us a bit of delusion, a bit of melt and a whole lot of salt.
Essendon "the rules are for everyone else" are at it again. They played Daniher today which is against AFL rules. AFL told them they couldn't play him, but Essendon did anyway. Fined $20,000 which is a pee in the ocean. I think if a club plays a player who is not sanctioned by the AFL, they should forfeit the game. Either that or increase fines to something more substantial like $250,000. I'm sick of this despicable club blatantly flaunting the rules to suit themselves.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
A Hawkes fan giving us a bit of delusion, a bit of melt and a whole lot of salt.

Fair call by the Hawkes supporter, Joe playing was the clear reason for Norf folding like a deck chair - his 10 disposals, 2 goals were the difference.

Norf BF poster said:
There was also another play where Cunners was on the wing, the ball came towards him, he let his opponent get front position and mark with little contest. I let him know about it, and the next thing you know he works hard to get one his way in the middle. Why do our players do lazy s**t in crucial areas? If I had not yelled at Cunners' weak effort, had he have redeemed himself to go into the middle to help out?

Norf poster thinks that his screaming from the crowd reaches players and affects outcomes 😊

Last edited:
Back