Certified Legendary Thread Delusional Pearlers IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not footy related, but I just heard the peanuts doing the world cup commentary (I think one was Nasser Hussain) say that as far as ODI bowlers go, Jasprit Bumrah is absolutely right up there with Glenn McGrath and Curtly Ambrose.

...wot???

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
The most delusional of Hawkes fans said:
It's funny - there's so many average teams, that the one that's slightly above average stands out and looks almost unbeatable. So much now comes down to luck, timing/composure and umpiring.

But for in-game injuries, it's likely that Hawthorn would have held on for at least one of the three games they had 4-5 goal leads in before losing a 2nd player to injury. Even if nothing else changes that puts them in the 8, and pushing towards finals (with a tough run still to come). If Mitchell hadn't had the freak accident pre-season who knows, we could have won another game or two and be top-4.

The decisions to acquire O'Meara and Wingard were - of themselves - good ones. Both are capable of AA-level football, both have had various reason for producing reduced form - with both seemingly able to overcome them in the right environment. The issue is how the club was 'played' by their opponent at the trade table.

Both GC and Port abused Hawthorn's belief in putting players first
- having made the commitment to O'Meara, they jumped through the hoops, dancing to the GC tune until the AFL eventually said enough was enough and forced GC to agree to a deal, with St Kilda a significant beneficiary.

Then Port (apparently) lied to Burton, lied to the Media and used Hawthorn's anti-media stance (and the media's Anti-Hawthorn stance!) to their advantage, convincing Burton he wasn't wanted. He was - like Mitchell/Lewis/Hill/Suckling/Young/Duryea/etc before him - essentially allowed to choose his destination, and the club took virtually nothing to allow him to get there. Even the two draft picks may have been overs for Wingard (but close to value, so expected of Hawthorn).

The real test of this method to give their players the greatest confidence is if other clubs/players will start to reciprocate - already GWS and Carlton have been helpful in negotiations, it's probably expected of future dealings with Saints, Demons, Eagles, even Geelong and GC (under new management) - whilst the likes of EFC/PAP are still playing the trade game to "win".

Lol...

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Purely on stats it’s not that outlandish

McGrath averaged 22.0 (3.88 e/r)
Ambrose 24.1 (3.48 e/r)
Bumrah 22.34 (4.5 e/r)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His form indicates he's one of the best in the world at present, but I'll wait to see how he is in another 100+ matches before a legit comparison can be made against Ambrose (170 odd matches) and McGrath (250 odd matches).

Purely on stats it’s not that outlandish

McGrath averaged 22.0 (3.88 e/r)
Ambrose 24.1 (3.48 e/r)
Bumrah 22.34 (4.5 e/r)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, but how many elephants have Ambrose and Bumrah killed?

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
yeah, but how many elephants have Ambrose and Bumrah killed?

Bumrah might be the most wholesome sporting professional in the world. I mean look at him just look at this photo of him sitting in Bourke Street.

Bumrah might be the most wholesome sporting professional in the world. I mean look at him just look at this photo of him sitting in Bourke Street.

awwww! the only elephant shooting he’d do is with a camera.

Jan 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
His form indicates he's one of the best in the world at present, but I'll wait to see how he is in another 100+ matches before a legit comparison can be made against Ambrose (170 odd matches) and McGrath (250 odd matches).
This. Sure if his numbers still stack up in another 80/150 matches I'll happily put his name up alongside the other two legends of the game. But until then.. how about these professional commentators don't get too ahead of themselves.

As for the rest of you and McGrath.. tbh my only problem with him is that he didn't shoot more elephants. Shame!

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I legit saw this post without knowing the context and was wondering who could possibly require such high standards in order to be compared with Paddy Ambrose and Andy McGrath...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they get just how ****ed their list is, unless they all assume he's off to GWS.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
I don't think they get just how f’ed their list is, unless they all assume he's off to GWS.
View attachment 702486

I remember when I had that sort of blind confidence in Essendon, ya know, because we're entitled to a flag every 7 years.

Ah thems were the days.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I remember when I had that sort of blind confidence in Essendon, ya know, because we're entitled to a flag every 7 years.

Ah thems were the days.
there is an eerie familiarity about the hawks and clarko and our tenure with Sheeds.

Long may it reign.
It would seem GWS is off to join Hawthorn, not the other way around.
they will be due a merger discussion soon enough.

I am basing it on the fact that, based on Dunkleys midfield performances, he is the better midfielder. You can look back to his midfield games of last year too if you wanted.

I said further up that my reason is because I believe Dunkley has passed Oliver as a player. Rewind 12 months and there's zero chance I would say that. Based on the kind of player they are now, I'd take Dunkley.

If all we base these things on is previous performance, then I guess Ablett is still the best player in the competition, and Fyfe/Kelly/Bont/Dangerfield/Martin/Cripps aren't better players now
Dunkley is better than Oliver. Oliver is only averaging more disposals, tackles, inside 50's, CP and clearances as an inside mid

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Dunkley is better than Oliver. Oliver is only averaging more disposals, tackles, inside 50's, CP and clearances as an inside mid
Hardly delusional. Dunkley has had a ripping year and is better forward.

I still think that Oliver is better, but based on 2019 only, the gap between the two doesnt constitute that comment to be delusional.

Back