Certified Legendary Thread Delusional Pearlers IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see someone call it, feel Richmond fans are getting a little carried away with expectations for his next season. (I may end up eating this if he carves it up)

He did really well as a first gamer in a big game, but was playing behind a fairly elite group of players in what was a demolition. It's a good story and I hope he can make good of it, but the way people talk about him is as though he should win the Brownlow in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gosh the Hawthorne board is such a sad place; threads abusing Essendon, Franklin and now the General 'other teams' thread is just filled with sad little people obsessing about how s**t they hope ex-players go or how they hate people they've never met.

And I thought our board was bad.

New thread on the Hawkes board, I've little doubt this will provide many contributions for this thread.

bf8078e48c.png

I'd like to hear your theories on how & why our amazing club has enjoyed such unprecedented and sustained success over the decades, when other clubs have struggled so badly.

Hawthorn's won 13 flags since 1961 at an average of one every 4.5 years. Compare that with the other extreme, St.Kilda, who've won nothing despite fielding teams containing the likes of Lockett, Barker, Loewe, Winmar, Harvey, Riewoldt, Milne and Hayes during this period. Even a club like Richmond (every Bigfooty thread MUST contain reference to Richmond right?) only scraped 6 flags in that time and were a basketcase for thirty years, and then you have minnow strugglers like Melbourne, Norf and the Doggies who fail consistently.

The draft & salary cap exist to make Hawthorn's exceptionalism impossible yet since being implemented five of our flags have been won in the AFL era, admittedly four in a single run of success and the other at the tail end of another, yet still we've managed to win a flag every decade. That suggests despite its worst fears the AFL has a "Hawthorn problem" it is unable to solve, as we snatch precious Premierships away from its' preferred interstate & "big 4" recipients on a consistent basis.

This leads to an obvious followup question, how likely are the identified reasons behind our success likely to continue into the future?

Hawks won 4 in 6 years and 3 in 3.

Their fans seem to forget they cash in when they have a good side better than anyone, but they also have their fair share of lean years.

Hawks won 4 in 6 years and 3 in 3.

Their fans seem to forget they cash in when they have a good side better than anyone, but they also have their fair share of lean years.
They entered the competition in 1925 and didn't win a thing until 1961. That's a fairly lean period also. They used to be called 'the easy beats' my old man tells me. I'll give them the 80's, as they were insanely talented, but I don't remember them winning a thing from 1992 to 2007, unless you call a reprieve from oblivion a win. :shrug:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back