Demetriou vs Gil

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that we're a few years into his tenure and there's a decent body of work to compare, how do people see the difference in the leadership of Demetriou and Gil?

For mine, Demetriou was a much stronger leader - you may not have agreed with all of his decisions, but at least you were left with no doubt that he was the one making them. The implementation of teams in GWS and Gold Coast showed real vision in the face of widespread scepticism.

The main feather in Gil's cap is the latest TV rights deal which has injected huge amounts of dollars into the game, BUT the recent example of Clarkson asking for a favour on Monday and receiving an AFL directive in his favour on Tuesday makes Gil come across as very weak, and able to be dictated to by powerful factions within the Victorian footy scene. This seems to be backed up by a real lack of leadership re: the Goodes booing saga and the the Essendon drugs saga.

So, how do you see the differences in leadership of the two most recent head honchos?

i'm rapidly losing faith in Gil and would rather Andy D.

atleast under Andy D clubs had a fighting chance, on-field equalization measures were working. you would bottom out then rebuild through the draft.

under Gil its gone backwards at a rate of knots. the killer stats is there are 7 sides that have properly bottomed out, of those only 2 have played finals (WB and GWS), 1 went onto win it. GWS had considerable concessions. the rest have all remained in the bottom half of the ladder and don't look like getting out of there anytime soon.

in that case Andy D would implement change and read the riot act to the clubs whinging to maintain their position that change had to come

under Gil you get all these media leaks about proposed change but really no change ever comes, you're still left to languish down the bottom of the ladder

hence QLD football looks near death attendance and tv ratings wide. st kilda and carlton fans are just about fed up and ready to riot. GWS look like they could be in serious strife when they fall away.

Gil has the very real possibility of being the face of a wheeling and dealing AFL that see's serious issues swept under the carpet. his hush money comments could come back to bite him in the ass. personally it's getting near the point where he either shits or gets off the pot in terms of driving the league forward.

oh and his clarkson meeting where they discussed the umpiring of the side clarkson coached. just after kennet hosted a small part of presidents to maintain the position of the big powerful victorian clubs. man, thats a super bad look.

Gil is a negotiator not a leader.

Big difference.

Demetriou was much stronger.

Gil has big shoes and small feet.

all talk and no action IMO

if you are a big successful club, things would be great with a CEO like Gill. if you need change because things arent going well, he's the last one you want in there

Gil is identifying the weaker teams that have a low fan base or poor administration that need to combine, relocate or fold. Evolution...don’t fight it.

Imo had he stayed the GWS and GC experiments would've been successful. The current administration has given them no chance in a hostile victorian-centric league.
Gold Coast has a history of poor franchise records and GWS was a swinging dong move by the afl. I’m all for expansion but it was poorly implemented and should of been done years apart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The introduction of the expansion clubs was a mistake, particularly the Suns, there is simply not the support (fan base or corporate) up here for 2 clubs.

If the Suns are not competitive within the next 5 years or so my prediction is they will be added to the long list of failed national Gold Coast sporting teams, even the NRL in the stronghold of Rugby League have struggled to establish a permanent presence. Without an expectation of consistent finals footy ah la the Swans players will continue to look elsewhere, if Tom Lynch leaves this year it will be a huge setback. Gil the Dill needs to get a grip eg"generally pleased":rolleyes: with the state of QLD football.

The introduction of the expansion clubs was a mistake, particularly the Suns, there is simply not the support (fan base or corporate) up here for 2 clubs.

If the Suns are not competitive within the next 5 years or so my prediction is they will be added to the long list of failed national Gold Coast sporting teams, even the NRL in the stronghold of Rugby League have struggled to establish a permanent presence. Without an expectation of consistent finals footy ah la the Swans players will continue to look elsewhere, if Tom Lynch leaves this year it will be a huge setback. Gil the Dill needs to get a grip eg"generally pleased":rolleyes: with the state of QLD football.

I just don't understand people who predict clubs will disappear.

in the 122 years of the AFL it has happened exactly once. 104 years ago.

There has been a total of one merger in 122 years.

There has been a total of one relocation in 122 years.

all three of them were from Melbourne based clubs, as a form of rationalisation which does not apply to anyone in the current climate.

The AFL never gives up. what the other leagues do or have done is their own buisiness, and irrelevant.

The Suns are here to stay.

Last edited:
I just don't understand people who predict clubs will disappear.

in the 122 years of the AFL it has happened exactly once. 104 years ago.

There has been a total of one merger in 122 years.

There has been a total of one relocation in 122 years.

all three of them were from Melbourne based clubs, as a form of rationalisation which does not apply to anyone in the current climate.

The AFL never gives up. what the other leagues do or have done is their own buisiness, and irrelevant.

The sun's are here to stay.
Hopefully you are right although we don't want the Suns and Lions to just
exist as an adjunct and not as thriving competitive entities in their own right.

i'm rapidly losing faith in Gil and would rather Andy D.

atleast under Andy D clubs had a fighting chance, on-field equalization measures were working. you would bottom out then rebuild through the draft.

under Gil its gone backwards at a rate of knots. the killer stats is there are 7 sides that have properly bottomed out, of those only 2 have played finals (WB and GWS), 1 went onto win it. GWS had considerable concessions. the rest have all remained in the bottom half of the ladder and don't look like getting out of there anytime soon.

in that case Andy D would implement change and read the riot act to the clubs whinging to maintain their position that change had to come

under Gil you get all these media leaks about proposed change but really no change ever comes, you're still left to languish down the bottom of the ladder

hence QLD football looks near death attendance and tv ratings wide. st kilda and carlton fans are just about fed up and ready to riot. GWS look like they could be in serious strife when they fall away.

Gil has the very real possibility of being the face of a wheeling and dealing AFL that see's serious issues swept under the carpet. his hush money comments could come back to bite him in the ass. personally it's getting near the point where he either shits or gets off the pot in terms of driving the league forward.

oh and his clarkson meeting where they discussed the umpiring of the side clarkson coached. just after kennet hosted a small part of presidents to maintain the position of the big powerful victorian clubs. man, thats a super bad look.
lol at blaming St Kilda's staggering incompetence as a club on the league's ceo.

Now that we're a few years into his tenure and there's a decent body of work to compare, how do people see the difference in the leadership of Demetriou and Gil?

For mine, Demetriou was a much stronger leader - you may not have agreed with all of his decisions, but at least you were left with no doubt that he was the one making them. The implementation of teams in GWS and Gold Coast showed real vision in the face of widespread scepticism.

The main feather in Gil's cap is the latest TV rights deal which has injected huge amounts of dollars into the game

So, how do you see the differences in leadership of the two most recent head honchos?
Demetriou for all his faults actually was a CEO of the league. He'd tell the clubs to gagf when he needed to whereas Gillon is a puppet and a spineless prick.

Pretty much this. For mine, I remember Demetriou had the vision to see two clubs in NSW and Queensland a must so a game in those states every week. Not popular but for game itself, I was impressed he made sure it happened and knew it would take decades to work. Where I am a bit miffed is not having a Tassie team in before them but understand it not easy.
The only impressive point of Gil was getting a women's league off the ground so quick. Whilst I do not watch much of it, I can see it gives an opportunity for woman that love the game, they never had before. However on same watch he neglects Tassie football and thinks it is all ok. Totally out of touch on that one.

But I see far more faults in Gil.
Gold Coast is a club that needs to build a fan base. That is super important. But on his watch he has reduced that chance and let Gold Coast people that maybe would have followed Suns to not feel valued by allowing a game that should have been for their fans to be played in China. That is just dumb and actually undone some of good work by Vlad getting Gold Coast existing at all.

But the big daddy for me is this year that shows Gil should go is to allow Fremantle to get a 12th home game in Perth and further more show he does not value Suns present fans or even possible future fans by playing a game of theirs as far away as possible but then also screw over 16 others clubs with Fremantle an unfair advantage. It is a bloody disgrace. Gold Coast have issue in early months playing at home. We all understand that, but still give their fans some realistic hope of not just giving up chance to see in person but also basically giving them another away game to lose to another club. Play the game in Coffs Harbour, Newcastle, Alice Springs or at minimum at neutral venue. Anywhere north east corner of nation to give them some hope of going to or not giving someone else an unfair extra home game. But to program it in Perth to have another club unfair advantage over all the other clubs not directly involved. Those clubs compete for spots on ladder. Beyond a joke for me that not even regarded in that happening. I cannot take him seriously to have that happen on his watch. Can only imagine he values dollars more that sense for integrity here.

He also allowed and even endorsed Essendon getting a number 1 pick reward for their players banned by WADA two years ago. Any decent league leader would have made sure Essendon on his watch that first round pick that year was at end of first round. He is spineless on these matters and does not value football competition integrity.

I look forward to when he is gone and a proper leader takes over again. Vlad was hard but for most part he was trying to do right thing for game as a whole even when lots of things we might not agree with.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back