Autopsy Demolition against West Coast - Rd 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawson was playing wing yesterday yeah?

I think so! I really like him off a forward flank. I know we love his foot skills in the back half, but let's be honest... how often does he actually put them to use pulling off difficult kicks to find targets? Once a game? Twice if lucky? The rest he's either just involved in standard handball chains or short chip kicks that a number of other, less-talented guys could do.

I think it's far more effective if we have guys like McInerney & Blakey who can run it out with speed as opposed to guys like Dawson who can get it out via kicking. Because that's gonna break down as soon as we encounter a defence that's well set up across the ground and Dawson's forced to kick to contests every time, whereas runners can at least take the opposition on and break lines at ground level.

So my knock on Dawson as a HBF is less about him specifically and more about rebounding via running vs kicking.

If Blakey can consistently disposal of the ball well, sure. I want Dawson's boot in the back half, but this is mitigated if Blakey, Cunningham, Fox, Lloyd are all using it well and Campbell comes back in / performs. Dawson a very handy weapon in or just outside F50 as we've seen.
Blakey has a beautiful kick. Low, darting bullets.

His only issue is having the composure to use it.

Great win, across the board.

One thing that continues to annoy me senseless though is why it took so flipping long to play Mills where he was born to be! A midfielder! He'd be as good as Selwood if he was played there 3 years ago. Thankfully we won't waste him going forward.

I find it funny how some assume that Mills becomes the same midfielder if he doesn’t have his stint in defence. There is every chance that his stint makes him a more well rounded player and certainly a more capable leader (didn’t Hodge start in defence before moving to the midfield?). You’re making it out and assuming that his time in defence is a mistake and I don’t agree.

Mills has been very good this year in the midfield, certainly better than I expected to be fair but I never doubted he’d be capable there just whether he’d make us markedly better.

My thing with players like Bell (and Wicks) is that they’re absolutely disciplined about their role. And that role is often about closing off outlets rather than getting the ball.

Having that commitment to your role is what makes a successful side.

Most AFL players come from a background of dominance where the discipline has to be taught. See Ling, Stephens and Dawson. Oh and Mitchell.

Players like Bell and Wicks have graduated through the Academy system and rookie list not through junior dominance but through commitment to following instructions to the letter and sheer hard work.

Their improvement is gradual. They slowly get more of the ball offensively. Then suddenly you realise they’ve been fixtures for a few years and you recognise their value. Cunningham is an example of that.

Wise and astute insight like this is sure to get you banned...

Fantastic post.

Swans couldn't split between Amartey and Dawson for Mark of the Week...so they gave it to both

I find it funny how some assume that Mills becomes the same midfielder if he doesn’t have his stint in defence. There is every chance that his stint makes him a more well rounded player and certainly a more capable leader (didn’t Hodge start in defence before moving to the midfield?). You’re making it out and assuming that his time in defence is a mistake and I don’t agree.

Mills has been very good this year in the midfield, certainly better than I expected to be fair but I never doubted he’d be capable there just whether he’d make us markedly better.

And lets not ignore what's happened to the defence since he moved. We were always going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul and Horse said as much many times.

I doubt they wanted him in the middle straight away but they obviously wanted it sooner than they were able to make it happen.

Lance has goal of the week

I do love a good Titus O'Reilly quote

The Eagles play so badly at GMHBA Stadium they should do everything in their power to not play there. Perhaps they should change their name to the Essendon Football Club?

Because yeah, 28 years between drinks playing in Geelong by the Bombers is a fracking disgrace. Let's talk about that No Vic advantage again shall we.

He’d be as good as Selwood as a mid had he been played there 2 years ago. We wasted at least a few years. I get the first year or two, but it’s why I’m big on, draft a mid play them there and that goes for other positions too.

He’d be as good as Selwood as a mid had he been played there 2 years ago. We wasted at least a few years. I get the first year or two, but it’s why I’m big on, draft a mid play them there and that goes for other positions too.

I don’t even reckon Mills and Selwood are similar players, so don’t understand the comparison. Selwood is much closer to 50/50 contested possessions. Mills also isn’t really a designated first possession player, he is fed the ball by others and redistributes to the outside. He is more Hannebery than he is Selwood.

Selwood is far more like a Parker or Kennedy who goes and wins the hard ball.

In any case you’re guessing. He is in the middle now so we will just move on.

I don’t even reckon Mills and Selwood are similar players, so don’t understand the comparison. Selwood is much closer to 50/50 contested possessions. Mills also isn’t really a designated first possession player, he is fed the ball by others and redistributes to the outside. He is more Hannebery than he is Selwood.

Selwood is far more like a Parker or Kennedy who goes and wins the hard ball.

In any case you’re guessing. He is in the middle now so we will just move on.

About time.Hope we learnt from it for the future. I just hope we don’t waste other players going forward.

Disagree on the Selwood thing though. It’s who I thought he was “like” coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi
I just got back from northern NSW to see my mum.

I watched that game. I know I did. It wasnt a dream.

You dream about how you want your team to dismantle and embarrass another tem. Take them to the cleaners. Well it happened. And I lived watching it.

A few points.

Callum Mills. He is an enforcer. He is the real deal.

Amartey. Thought he was soft. Not anymore. Love his intelligence, hard at the ball, finishing, his I belong at this level. I like we have someone who can compete in the ruck who is not Hickey.

Gulden. I just love this man. What I hate though is Papley wearing long sleeves. I get excited with long sleeves doing something great and then I realise its just Papley. Disappointment. Hehe. Gulden's seeming relaxed and patient approach and lovely delivery by foot is a joy to watch.

Buddy. He is looking sooo good. Reckon he will extend. Sorry Ted!!

Wicks. Knows how to kick goals. Knows how to annoy people. Classic small.

Ramps. A shadow but still a force.

Blakey looked nice off half back.

Dawson on SEN said he is here to stay. My day went well after that. Cool smooth operator.

Hickey makes our side enjoy their footy. You cannot not like him. He is infectious like that!!

LLoyd is everywhere. consistent.

Cunningham is having his best year.

Sorry if I missed you and you played well!! Catch you on the replay tomorrow. Thanks for the enjoyment.

Tom McCartin, Sydney Swans has been charged with Engaging in a Melee, during the second quarter of the Round 16 match between the Sydney Swans and West Coast Eagles, played at GMHBA Stadium on Sunday, July 4, 2021.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

A first offence for Engaging in a Melee is a $1500 sanction. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction

I think so! I really like him off a forward flank. I know we love his foot skills in the back half, but let's be honest... how often does he actually put them to use pulling off difficult kicks to find targets? Once a game? Twice if lucky? The rest he's either just involved in standard handball chains or short chip kicks that a number of other, less-talented guys could do.

I think it's far more effective if we have guys like McInerney & Blakey who can run it out with speed as opposed to guys like Dawson who can get it out via kicking. Because that's gonna break down as soon as we encounter a defence that's well set up across the ground and Dawson's forced to kick to contests every time, whereas runners can at least take the opposition on and break lines at ground level.

So my knock on Dawson as a HBF is less about him specifically and more about rebounding via running vs kicking.
Pretty sure Hawks setting up at Dawson's range with tall timber had a big part to play in our difficulties exiting in that game. We kept kicking it to McEvoy. 🤦‍♂️

Good as it is I liked Wicks's even more.

Wicks is a seriously smart player and has some moments of absolute class where if his name was "Errol Gulden" we would be frothing at some of his plays.

He is a lot more than just a pressure forward.

Wicks is a seriously smart player and has some moments of absolute class where if his name was "Errol Gulden" we would be frothing at some of his plays.

He is a lot more than just a pressure forward.
Burns off the one grabbing at him, swerved around the one to his left going left, swerved around the one in front of him doing a 270 right. How can you not scream!

I wasn't well yesterday, by the time I woke up the game was nearly over.

I couldn't believe my eyes, that must have been some performance. Well done Swans.

Or, to put it in meme form (I hope this is ok):

View attachment 1171343
Hey. That bloke on the right was sitting two rows in front of me yesterday. Spent the first quarter sooking that the Weagles weren't getting their shrugging the tackle high free kicks. May have mentioned it's not as easy to get rewarded for cheating rubbish like that away from Perth. Strangely he went silent early in the second quarter. Went "to get another chardonnay" 10 minutes into the last quarter and 2 minutes later the missus and his mum got up and disappeared too. Gutless wonder.

The two eagles girls behind me had fun saying Franklin was soft as custard, so in the 3rd quarter, when my 6 year old nephew lost all focus, I let him talk their ears off about his Rubik's cubes for the best part of 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure they wanted to end it all there and then. To my nephew's credit, when I showed them mercy and challenged him to solve the cube in the last quarter, the cheeky prick solved the thing in 15 minutes, then proceeded to try and tell everyone in the bays nearby that he solved a 3x3 for the first time. 🤦

Remove this Banner Ad

Back