Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
NYC
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Demons
Hey folks,

Being a Dee fan has been a gas this year (with some s**t of course), but i've been living in NYC for nearly 2 years and have found it interesting trying to follow the dees. Posting on this board has been good for me during the day but then again most are asleep.

Curious to see how other Dee fans live the dream internationally. I watch the Dees play at the Australian Bar in 38th and usually the only dee fan there game enough to do it for the day games. Even get some free piss across the bar. The night games are enjoyed from the tablet lying in bed waiting to get up. Thanks to technology, I get to s**t talk my friends and cop s**t when we spud it up in real time.

How do you other guys do it? Where do you guys live? Will you go home if we get in the finals consistently?

Last edited:
Day games tend to start at 4/5am here in the UK. Not many options at that hour other than setting up the iPad and watching from bed whilst trying not to wake the girlfriend.

Have always said to myself if we make a Granny I'll fly back for it. The dream is there.

I'm in NZ so time difference is only small. I pay for the afl live app and our whole family watch it (including extended, we have a family member in the Dee's) - we have roped a few friends in too who now come to watch games (the wins this year heave helped). NZ has a new TV channel this year which plays 6 AFL games a week too and has reruns so more kiwis can get a taste of AFL. I did manage to get to Melb for a game this year vs ST Kilda at Etihad - it was a bummer to lose, But I had the best time anyway. Would have referred a game at the G but I am a teacher so can only really go in the school holidays.

I'm in LA cause I'm shallow

So I normally watch it with the global pass - I think it's 150 a year

That's Friday night for me for the day games

For the grand final the Australian American association puts on really cool events with Tim tams and sausage rolls and there is always a huge turnout - as does the local Aussie rules team but the Australian American event is way more fun - and if it's not another depressing hawthorn win you can party up afterwards

All that said I have been banned from watching the games live by the missis as I get too depressed in the first quarter and drink too much

I'm in LA cause I'm shallow

So I normally watch it with the global pass - I think it's 150 a year

That's Friday night for me for the day games

For the grand final the Australian American association puts on really cool events with Tim tams and sausage rolls and there is always a huge turnout - as does the local Aussie rules team but the Australian American event is way more fun - and if it's not another depressing hawthorn win you can party up afterwards

All that said I have been banned from watching the games live by the missis as I get too depressed in the first quarter and drink too much

Yeah that's pretty cool - the NY Magpies put on some decent pissers in Midtown for the grannie. Meat pies and beer with a band playing. Last year Robbie Gray was the guest and people didn't give a s**t. I got seriously ******* though.

Day games start at 11:30pm - once smashed a tinder date before the first bounce, she was s**t and i had footy to watch. Score.
Night games start at 5:30am

Can I head up the Australian branch of this thread? I'll buy a copy of the record on game day and post fun facts like "Jeffy's favourite food is Red Rooster" and "Nathan Jones believes in UFOs"

Can I head up the Australian branch of this thread? I'll buy a copy of the record on game day and post fun facts like "Jeffy's favourite food is Red Rooster" and "Nathan Jones believes in UFOs"
Get it done. Even a few sneaky pics of pissed off carlton supporters in the stand will give us hope. Meanwhile i'll be getting shitfaced on freepours - yay USA.

Question for the internationals: did moving overseas make you less interested in the game, or more so? Like is it a connection to 'home' and therefore you take even more interest in it?

When Jesse kicks his 5th and points, I still go full chub. However what's different for me is that I care even less about other teams, couldn't give a rats arse unless we're playing them. I try and get my US mates to watch, makes for a good night out.

In the USA, there are s**t tonne of other sports that really bombard you with NFL, NHL, NBA and more (except MLS, that is putrid), so that can steal your time. I'm following cricket less.

Question for the internationals: did moving overseas make you less interested in the game, or more so? Like is it a connection to 'home' and therefore you take even more interest in it?

I found it to enhance my interest. I used it as a social outlet (invite workmates over to watch madmen play footy without helmets). I missed home alot so it helped me get through week to week. (That and watching youtube videos of people catching big flattys)

I still gamble on the games so I try and catch as much of them as possible with my AFL live app but I certainly dont really give a s**t about the neutral games anymore. Though I think I enjoy the sport itself less because of the rules but thats another story

Because the AFL live pass uploads the replay immediately I can still go out, get on the piss and block out the result then sit back and watch it hungover the next day. I watch a little bit of the hockey here but I find american sports so ******* boring. Not sure why we want to emulate their entertainment so bad, the reason they have it is because the product itself is ******* boring and slow

Basketball and NHL players play like 72 or something regular season games.... then they have to pump music because there are stops in play so often that if you dont engage the crowd they lose interest

Went to see an NHL game and the croud werent paying attention half the time because the games are slow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey folks,

Being a Dee fan has been a gas this year (with some s**t of course), but i've been living in NYC for nearly 2 years and have found it interesting trying to follow the dees. Posting on this board has been good for me during the day but then again most are asleep.

Curious to see how other Dee fans live the dream internationally. I watch the Dees play at the Australian Bar in 38th and usually the only dee fan there game enough to do it for the day games. Even get some free piss across the bar. The night games are enjoyed from the tablet lying in bed waiting to get up. Thanks to technology, I get to s**t talk my friends and cop s**t when we spud it up in real time.

How do you other guys do it? Where do you guys live? Will you go home if we get in the finals consistently?
The Australian bar is pretty good for sports

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

On a side note, im in singapore at the moment, does anyone knpw where i could watch the footy here?

On the interwebz

Went to see an NHL game and the croud werent paying attention half the time because the games are slow

Yep, I watched a game in Denver and was suprised how slow the game was. When they are actually playing the puck moves quick but it's almost like soccer as far as actual attacking play. Added to that the time outs etc..... I think it's one of the few games that is better on TV rather than live (and thats because the broadcaster adds content during the slow bits).

I lived in Melb for ten years and wasn't interested in AFL - so many rules I just didn't get it. Once I had a reason to watch I grew to love it. I really don't care about other teams but am crazy about the Dees's

I moved to NZ as a 14 year old and stayed til I was 22, and I reckon I got more heavily into the Dees during that time than I ever did growing up in a Melbourne-mad family living in country Queensland.

Then when I moved to Melbourne I took it for granted a bit, didn't go to every game, and got really into the Melbourne Rebels (and then ended up working there for a couple years).

Now, I've moved to Sydney (where I still work in Rugby) and I'm as fanatic about the Dees as ever, though perhaps that's becasue we're about to genuinely contend.

I take less notice of the competition itself, like a couple of the posters above, now that I don't live in melbourne and read the HUN every day, though my missus works at the Swans so I go to a few of their games

Yeah that's pretty cool - the NY Magpies put on some decent pissers in Midtown for the grannie. Meat pies and beer with a band playing. Last year Robbie Gray was the guest and people didn't give a s**t. I got seriously ******* though.

Day games start at 11:30pm - once smashed a tinder date before the first bounce, she was s**t and i had footy to watch. Score.
Night games start at 5:30am

I actually attended the NY magpies event when I was travelling for the Sydney and Hawfs GF when Hawfs won. There was an auction for a Dees jersey signed by every player on the list and I won it for $40 USD because most people were too pissed to even know the auction had started :)

I still gamble on the games so I try and catch as much of them as possible with my AFL live app but I certainly dont really give a s**t about the neutral games anymore. Though I think I enjoy the sport itself less because of the rules but thats another story

Because the AFL live pass uploads the replay immediately I can still go out, get on the piss and block out the result then sit back and watch it hungover the next day. I watch a little bit of the hockey here but I find american sports so ******* boring. Not sure why we want to emulate their entertainment so bad, the reason they have it is because the product itself is ******* boring and slow

Basketball and NHL players play like 72 or something regular season games.... then they have to pump music because there are stops in play so often that if you dont engage the crowd they lose interest

Agree with the 'slowness' of US sports, or maybe I guess the stop start nature of them. I've no doubt I'd love gridiron if I was born and raised in the US but from over here it just seems stilted to me.

Interestingly my favourite US sport is baseball, simply because it is so slow and doesn't really pretend to speed itself up (like a Test match I guess). But what I really love about baseball is the history/stories/jargon - it's very rich (I'm sure basketball and gridiron are too, but certainly not in the same way baseball is).

Incidentally I'm a Cubs fan and they're doing alright this year. If people don't follow baseball the Cubs can be likened to Melbourne, in that they usually win f*** all.

Agree with the 'slowness' of US sports, or maybe I guess the stop start nature of them. I've no doubt I'd love gridiron if I was born and raised in the US but from over here it just seems stilted to me.

Interestingly my favourite US sport is baseball, simply because it is so slow and doesn't really pretend to speed itself up (like a Test match I guess). But what I really love about baseball is the history/stories/jargon - it's very rich (I'm sure basketball and gridiron are too, but certainly not in the same way baseball is).

Incidentally I'm a Cubs fan and they're doing alright this year. If people don't follow baseball the Cubs can be likened to Melbourne, in that they usually win f*** all.

I love Gridiron, have ever since my cousin gave me his Madden game in 1998 on the Sega Mega Drive I've been obsessed! The strategic side of it is actually really interesting and once you get into it each play (between the long gaps in play) is a massive adrenaline rush. Also, watching it live is an awesome experience just for the crowd atmosphere alone.

On a side note, im in singapore at the moment, does anyone knpw where i could watch the footy here?

I used to play Aussie rules on Sentosa Island against an expat team in singa's. They took us to a hotel bar across from the old Four Floors of Whores. Sorry I can't give you a name.

Does rural victoria count? living 2 and half hours out of melbourne Benalla is really isolated. Everybody here is either Collingwood or Richmond. I'm counting it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back