Universal Love Demonbracket 2014 - Official Thread (POST TOURNAMENT WRAP UP EDITION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Preview post

Friends and opposition fans who have come on here to troll us, it's that time of the year again. The time where we give you two (or more) Melbourne players and ask you to name which you prefer for whatever reason is most important to you.

For the third straight year our sponsor BigFooty is the official forum of the tournament, and the two main ways you can vote are via Twitter (@demonblog) or by posting on here.

Official voting begins at 7am Monday (clearly I didn't realise it was a public holiday at the time, but it's too late to go back now) but as usual BigFooty will be given from 7pm the night before to until 7pm on the day to cast their ballot. A new post will be added every day with the latest match ups, and this original post will be updated with the latest result.

History

2012 - James Frawley d. Nathan Jones
2013 - Tom McDonald d. Mitch Clark
2014 - Nathan Jones d. Jack Watts

News

22 January - Last year's champion Tom McDonald has already fired the first shot of the publicity war as he looks for a second title (fast forward to 1m20s).

24 January - James Harmes has issued a public plea for MFC fans to back his upstart rookie list campaign

26 January - Sam Blease waited until Australia Day to state his case, showing confidence in a first round win.

27 January - Max Gawn has declared himself to be "The Wawrinka of Dees" in reaction to his spanking first round victory over James Strauss.

31 January - Jimmy Toumpas declares that he's ready to "take his campaign to a new level"

Rules
  • Vote on whatever criteria you see fit. We won't ask questions, and nor should anyone else
  • You must cast a valid vote for every match that day or none of your votes for that day will count
  • You must pick a winner in every match up. No half votes, no "I can't split them". Yes you can, and you will
  • Non-MFC fans are more than welcome to vote on as many days as you like as long as you follow all other rules
  • In the event of a tie both players will advance to the next round
  • If a match features three or more players and two or more tie for the most votes they will advance with all other players eliminated
  • In the event of a Grand Final tie there will be a replay the next day
The draw

The following preliminary round matches have been drawn. The main draw on Friday will decide who the winners in each match will play later next week:

The Bracket

Preliminary Round

Bernie Vince d. Daniel Cross 66-27
Max Gawn d. James Strauss 84-9
Aiden Riley d. Alex Georgiou 50-43
Jimmy Toumpas d. Michael Evans 70-20
Dom Tyson d. Jayden Hunt 79-11
Jay Kennedy-Harris d. Christian Salem 54-36

Jack Fitzpatrick d. James Harmes 77-24
Viv Michie d. Maia Westrupp 88-13
Dean Kent d. Neville Jetta 85-16
Jesse Hogan d. Mitch Clisby 95-10
Jake Spencer d. Dominic Barry 58-47
Jack Viney d. Cameron Pedersen and Max King 95-6-4

Round One

1. Tom McDonald d. Mark Jamar 94-15
Chris Dawes d. Dom Tyson 57-52
Jesse Hogan d. Bernie Vince 80-29
Jeremy Howe d. 8. Jack Trengove 62-47

Jack Watts d. 5. Matt Jones 91-19
Sam Blease d. Daniel Nicholson 96-14
Mitch Clark d. Viv Michie 91-19
4. Dean Terlich d. Dean Kent 70-40

3. Colin Garland d. Jay Kennedy-Harris 95-18
Max Gawn d. Jake Spencer 99-14
Jimmy Toumpas d. Jordie McKenzie 84-29
6. Lynden Dunn d. Shannon Byrnes 84-29

7. James Frawley d. Jack Fitzpatrick 71-33
Jack Viney d. Luke Tapscott 98-6
Rohan Bail d. Aidan Riley 56-48
2. Nathan Jones d. Jack Grimes 53-51

Round Two

1. Tom McDonald vs Chris Dawes 86-29
Jeremy Howe d. Jesse Hogan 58-57
Jack Watts d. Sam Blease 99-16
Mitch Clark d. 4. Dean Terlich 82-33

3. Colin Garland d. Max Gawn 87-25
Jimmy Toumpas d. Lynden Dunn 88-24,
Jack Viney d. James Frawley 63-49
2. Nathan Jones d. Rohan Bail 104-8

Quarter Finals

Jeremy Howe d. 1. Tom McDonald 66-49
Jack Watts d. Mitch Clark 70-45

Friday 7 February
3. Colin Garland d. Jimmy Toumpas 85-34
2. Nathan Jones d. Jack Viney 77-42

Semi Final

Monday 10 February
Jack Watts d. Jeremy Howe 64-59

Tuesday 11 February
2. Nathan Jones d. 3. Colin Garland 78-62

Final

Wednesday 12 February
2. Nathan Jones d. Jack Watts 80-71

Matches will be played each weekday until the final on Wednesday 12 February.

Predictions, questions and conspiracy theories go below...

Last edited:
I can't see the #sizzle being the only campaign this year. Feel like there will be a few boys looking for bragging rights. Predicting Bernie Vince to be a bolter.

I can't see the #sizzle being the only campaign this year. Feel like there will be a few boys looking for bragging rights. Predicting Bernie Vince to be a bolter.

James Harmes was keen -

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see #sizzle knocked out in the first round.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, it would just be hilarious after so much attention on the club website.

Are you running a book on this Super? If so what are the odds on Cam Peterson?:drunk:

As the organiser I could not involve myself in such things, but some shonky betting agency (Does DeesBet still exist?) is more than welcome to frame a market.

Gentleman, start your voting. Due to the public holiday and assorted disasters (i.e fat chance of me being around a computer to post at 7pm tomorrow) I'm throwing voting on BF open now.

Please reply with your choices in the following matches. A reminder, you must pick a winner in each match - no skipping or half votes. Good luck.

Daniel Cross vs Bernie Vince
Max Gawn vs James Strauss
Aiden Riley vs Alex Georgiou
Michael Evans vs Jimmy Toumpas
Jayden Hunt vs Dom Tyson
Jay Kennedy-Harris vs Christian Salem

Daniel Cross vs Bernie Vince
Max Gawn vs James Strauss
Aiden Riley vs Alex Georgiou
Michael Evans vs Jimmy Toumpas
Jayden Hunt vs Dom Tyson
Jay Kennedy-Harris vs Christian Salem