Review Demons 119 def Dogs 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Our vfl side followed the seniors letting the opposition get a run on and not having a plan to stop it.

It's a real concern.

We don't even have half a dozen AFL listed players running around today. Our team is just hideously depleted; someone like Jong or Honeychurch would be running around for Footscray instead of one being out for the season and the other playing seniors because we have no small forwards left.

It isn't "player loyalists" it is just not possible and also leaves bugger all senior players .. if you are replacing rhem with delisted free agents or picks close to 100 then we eill be in a much worse position ..

I have just 9 words for you: Honeychurch, Webb, Roberts, Biggs, Roughead, Dickson, Redpath, Collins, Jong.

I have just 9 words for you: Honeychurch, Webb, Roberts, Biggs, Roughead, Dickson, Redpath, Collins, Jong.

According to some it’s better to keep absolute spud list cloggers than take a chance and get someone new AND better because the spuds are “senior” players and losing them will make us bottom 6.

Oh no wait we already are

Smith is gone officially so you can include him if you like.
So assuming West is a certainty and pick 5 will be a senior player fairly quickly , and they promote a couple of rookies, who and what would you like to see with the other 6 replacements?

sure, if you want to pick up picks after 100 and DFA
We have an early pick, plus 1 FS and 3 academy kids to start with.
That's before we consider trades and we've been linked to a couple of mature agers and at least two players from opposition clubs that should come cheap.

That's before we consider trades and we've been linked to a couple of mature agers and at least two players from opposition clubs that should come cheap.

Players we've been linked with - do tell...

Who? I have only read about rumours linking MWallis Dal Boyd Collins Webb Rough to other clubs.
Who is a chance to come to us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget those pesky rookie upgrades Mofra, although I would leave Roarke Smith on the rookie list.
Brad Lynch is a 3rd year rookie and Billy Gowers could win the Sutton Medal and the Glen Coleman.
I'm one of the few on here that would upgrade Roarke as well as Lynch and Gowers.
NMM moves so well for a tall kid I'd re-rookie him and focus on smaller players at the draft.

Who? I have only read about rumours linking MWallis Dal Boyd Collins Webb Rough to other clubs.
Who is a chance to come to us?
Sam Lloyd from a couple of different sources - 28 year old smart forward, seems a natural Dickson replacement. That's the strongest one.

We're young so adding a couple of senior guys is no issue, especially forward of the ball.

I'm one of the few on here that would upgrade Roarke as well as Lynch and Gowers.
NMM moves so well for a tall kid I'd re-rookie him and focus on smaller players at the draft.

Sam Lloyd from a couple of different sources - 28 year old smart forward, seems a natural Dickson replacement. That's the strongest one.

We're young so adding a couple of senior guys is no issue, especially forward of the ball.

Mofra - what is the rookie list rules in regards to Smith now. He spent 3 years as a rookie and we had to delist and re-rookie him. I assume he doesn't get another 3 years. So is it either upgrade or delist?

I'm fine with the performance Sat night.
If you don't win the flag you might as well get the best draft pick possible and we are showing great signs without winning.
Pick 4 in the draft is looking likely now with Brisbane starting to play well.
Us v the saints could decide who finishes with pick 4.

Mofra - what is the rookie list rules in regards to Smith now. He spent 3 years as a rookie and we had to delist and re-rookie him. I assume he doesn't get another 3 years. So is it either upgrade or delist?
No idea, but if Chatfield and Dawson slip through to the rookie draft (likely) and we re-rookie NMM that's only one spot remaining and given Roarke has held his spot in the 22 the past few weeks I assume he'll be upgraded. The club wouldn't persist this long if he didn't have significant improvement left and although he's still young we do need types on our list that can play straight away. I'd keep him and would be comfortable upgrading him.

Smith is gone officially so you can include him if you like.
So assuming West is a certainty and pick 5 will be a senior player fairly quickly , and they promote a couple of rookies, who and what would you like to see with the other 6 replacements?

Firstly, it is looking like pick 3 at the moment ;)

So, 10 off the list including Smith and as was named, Dahlhaus and Wallis not on the table.

Draft: pick 3, West Jnr, Khamis, + smokey x 2 = 5. Points deficit approx 700ish 2019.
Rookie promote: Gowers, Lynch, R Smith (has to be given a go, only played a handful of senior games to date) = 3.
Go to the DFA/RFA well for the final 2.

Select 3 in the rookie draft.

I can see you are going to say something along the lines of DFA=sh*t, smokeys=sh*t, therefore, too much too quickly, retain 4 of the players for at least another year.

But me, I don't think I can bear watching those players going around again.

Stop talking sense. If those 3 academy kids can be acquired with pick 40ish (Khamis) and the fact that any pick will do for the remaining two due to the effect of the academy discount and the range they would be likely to attract interest in, then they aren't worth getting because we may have to use pick 100 or 150 to get them.

I'd challenge you to find a single poster who wants to keep more than 3 of these 9.

Most of the objections to your suggestions have been in regards to Wallis and Dahlhaus.

Let us pray that West Jnr doesn't continue have a rise in stocks and let us pray that Khamis, now AA State Championship player, doesn't become a bolter.

The reward for our prayers will be another year of watching the precision passing of Wallis and Dahlhaus.

Last edited:
Firstly, it is looking like pick 3 at the moment ;)

So, 10 off the list including Smith and as was named, Dahlhaus and Wallis not on the table.

Draft: pick 3, West Jnr, Khamis, + smokey x 2 = 5. Points deficit approx 700ish 2019.
Rookie promote: Gowers, Lynch, R Smith (has to be given a go, only played a handful of senior games to date) = 3.
Go to the DFA/RFA well for the final 2.

Select 3 in the rookie draft.

I can see you are going to say something along the lines of DFA=sh*t, smokeys=sh*t, therefore, too much too quickly, retain 4 of the players for at least another year.

But me, I don't think I can bear watching those players going around again.
Depends on their contractual status. For example there is no point delisting a contracted player then picking up a like for like player as replacement .However if a club wants to hand over a 3rd or 4th rounder with points attached then you would obviously look at it.
It is all about improving the list not change for change sake.
Have a look at Carlton, they are a rabble and they have had a couple of years where they turned over 10 players.
Personally I think there will be 8 list changes.

Depends on their contractual status. For example there is no point delisting a contracted player then picking up a like for like player as replacement .However if a club wants to hand over a 3rd or 4th rounder with points attached then you would obviously look at it.
It is all about improving the list not change for change sake.
Have a look at Carlton, they are a rabble and they have had a couple of years where they turned over 10 players.
Personally I think there will be 8 list changes.

That could keep me happy.

Point noted about Carlton. But we did a succession of clear outs in the Macca era and we all know the benefit reaped. Since 2014 we have gone the incremental path and unfortunately in 2017 and 2018 a lot of players have gone bad. I think we need to play a bit of catch up, therefore. 5 new faces + 3 new rookies could keep me happy. I suppose.

I'm hoping that there will be a Hamling out there or a Crozier or a Bailey Williams or a Tory Dickson to take the place of a totally cooked senior player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back