Sep 9, 2003
Traralgon
AFL Club
Richmond
Demons put pick five on the market
1:23:21 PM Fri 10 October, 2003
Barry Levinson
afl.com.au

Melbourne is prepared to trade its valuable fifth pick in the National AFL Draft during next week’s trading frenzy, if the right player wants to join the Demons.

Coach Neale Daniher said the Demons are looking for someone who can offer the club at least five years of senior football.

“We’re looking to improve really quickly and we’ve got a great opportunity over the next seven days to make some really good decisions to improve our team,” Daniher said.

“We’re looking for any quality key position player, but it has to be at a certain age. We won’t be going after anyone over the age of 26. We’re actually looking for younger players.”

Football operations manager Danny Corcoran will handle most of the negotiations for the Demons next week.

He confirmed that Melbourne was one of a number of clubs to meet with Port Adelaide’s Nick Stevens on Thursday and said he had spoken with the manager of Essendon’s Dean Solomon ‘at length’.

The Demons have also had ‘ongoing discussions’ with Richmond over key defender Ben Holland.

But Corcoran said enticing a player across is only one part of the negotiations; appeasing their current club with a suitable swap is often the difficult element of the equation.

“What we’ve seen happen this year is players nominate clubs (they wish to move to),” Corcoran said.

“But if we use Stevens as an example, someone’s got to satisfy Port Adelaide because if they can’t, the player won’t be going to that club.

“Usually it’s about early draft picks and that’s why the opportunity is there for Melbourne footy club this year.”

After winning only five games in 2003, Melbourne has a strong position in this year’s draft, with their first three picks coming at three, five and 20.

Asked if the Demons were prepared to trade their first two picks, rather than keep them to recruit an under-age talent, Corcoran replied: “For a quality player we’ll look at trading one of those picks.

“I would think pick three would be off limits, but pick five is a possibility, depending on the player and the deal that can be struck.”

Melbourne is keen to secure Solomon, who quit the Bombers on Thursday, but faces stiff opposition from the Tigers who are believed to have offered Solomon a four-year contract worth $400,000 a season.

Despite the hefty price tag, Corcoran said a player is worth whatever one club is prepared to pay.

“The market will pay what the market can afford,” he said.

“If that’s the market price, someone will pay that. Someone has put that on the table already.”

Daniher stated that the Demons were looking for players that would help push the club back into finals contention in 2004.

“We won’t be looking for blokes that just want to come and play for money,” he said.

“We want them to be excited about the challenge to come and play for the Melbourne Football Club and take a leadership role at our club and looking for the challenge of getting us back in the finals.”

After suffering a salary cap squeeze last year, that led the club into trading vice-captain Shane Woewodin to Collingwood, Corcoran said the Demons have significantly more room in their cap this year.

“We’re talking to every club and… we’ve got an opportunity to pick up a quality player, perhaps two quality players depending how the trading goes."

“No-one knows when the frenzy starts next week where it’s going to end up, but we’ll certainly have enough room to acquire a quality player."

“We think we can now attract players because of Neale’s successful track record over the past six years in finals. We can now attract players to come here because they believe we’re going to play in finals.”

Corcoran added that the extra room in the salary cap means that there is unlikely to be a repeat of the Woewodin-type trade this year, with the Demons reluctant to lose any of their bigger name players.

“We’re not looking this year to trade a lot of our players,” he said. “We’ve made some decisions, we’ve signed our key players. You can never say never in this business, but we’re looking to acquire players rather than trade out.

“I’m not saying that won’t happen, but we’re not trying to preserve our cap in the position we were last year.”

Very interesting article that. Always knew Pick #5 was up for grabs though.

Sounds like we are more interested in Solomon than Stevens, which doesn't sound too bad. We have also been interested in Jacobs from what I know.

Maybe Pick #5 to the Bombers for Solomon and Jacobs?

Hurry up Monday!

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell
Very interesting article that. Always knew Pick #5 was up for grabs though.

Sounds like we are more interested in Solomon than Stevens, which doesn't sound too bad. We have also been interested in Jacobs from what I know.

Maybe Pick #5 to the Bombers for Solomon and Jacobs?

Hurry up Monday!

What the hell have you been smoking ?
One early draft pick for two quality players ?
Melbourne will get nothing in the trade period if they think like that.
BTW I reckon you will find a lot of deals take place over the weekend, and we will have a much clearer picture on Monday.

Originally posted by bogan_blue
What the hell have you been smoking ?
One early draft pick for two quality players ?
Melbourne will get nothing in the trade period if they think like that.
BTW I reckon you will find a lot of deals take place over the weekend, and we will have a much clearer picture on Monday.

You are asking me what I've been smoking? I don't think you have posted anything credible - Ever!

Pick #5 for those two would be fair in the end, as it gives Essendon the high pick they need to get Nick Stevens. That's what I'm thinking.

Arsene - that deal has no chance.

Lets be honest here, do the dees really want stevens, and if so do u think they wil give up pik 5 for him ? Or do u think port will want more?? Or is it not enough (just stevens) for pik 5?

Originally posted by Arsene Wenger
Lets be honest here, do the dees really want stevens, and if so do u think they wil give up pik 5 for him ? Or do u think port will want more?? Or is it not enough (just stevens) for pik 5?

If we somehow want Guerra, we will need to put up more than that. Just ask Porthos! ;)

If we want just Stevens, Pick #5 and Chris Lamb/Paul Wheatley would probably end up doing the trick. Gives them a high pick and, if they want Lamb, a young backman to take the place of Paxman.

From that Article it sounds like they are almost prepared to give us pick 5 for Solomon (Which would be crazy but i am not complaining)

As for Jacobs AND Solomon for pick 5... *Gives finger*

No way......

Solomon and 2nd round pick for #5 (That article suggests that they really want Solomon) and #5 and #13 for Stevens or #5 and Jacobs for Stevens..

In my opinion. (which does not count for much)

I have a feeling that Melbourne is more likely to talk to Essendon with regard to a deal for pick 5.

We already know that the bombers have enquired about Jeff (soft as a wet paper bag) White, I bet they were talking about the possibility of a pick 5 trade also.

I beleive Melbourne will be active early in the trade week with a big trade happening either next Monday or Tuesday we will then go quiet til the last day when anything could happen.

I have jumper # 5 reserved for Colin Sylvia
jumper # 7 reserved for Dean Soloman
jumper # 4 reserved for Danny Jacobs

If the Demons can add those guys and top up with other lesser players or recruit good kids we could have an impact in 2004.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

question melbourne supporters: Although Daniher almost said 'we are looking for Rawlings', i.e. quality KPP 26yo or less, lets say you shed pick 5 for Stevens instead...

Would you go for a midfiedler (Sylvia) with pick 3 or aquire Bradley on the grounds that your midfield needs were satisfied by stevens?

Originally posted by Darealrath
Solly + Henneman for pick #5 ?

Henneman is a decent chb actually and would give you depth there.

Swap Henneman for Jacobs or Bolton, and you have a deal.

If we're going to deal with pick 5 it has to be for Solomon.

What do you think of these -

Solomon + Jacobs for pick 5 + Walsh

Solomon + Harvey for pick 5

Solomon + Jacobs + Pick 13 for pick 5 + White

Originally posted by Broadbridge_20
If we're going to deal with pick 5 it has to be for Solomon.

What do you think of these -

Solomon + Jacobs for pick 5 + Walsh

Solomon + Harvey for pick 5

Solomon + Jacobs + Pick 13 for pick 5 + White

all those deals are not helping essendon AT all

we want pick 5 and 13 to give for stevens possibly...so why would we get rid of pick13 in a stupid deal

harvey isnt going to dees

Solomon + Jacobs + Henneman + 2nd Rnder for pick 5 + White

Originally posted by Lloydy!

we want pick 5 and 13 to give for stevens possibly...so why would we get rid of pick13 in a stupid deal

Stevens isn't worth 2 first rounders. I would want to keep the pick #5. Could get a really, really good kid on minimum salary instead of a soft bloke on 400k.

yer i rkn, im just stating the metallity atm ;)

picks 5 and 13 in a v strong draft are good ;)

DYSONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back