Solved Dennis Allen

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie Assault

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
"Mr Death" was an underworld figure with links to up to 13 murders in Melbourne. He was a part of the infamous Pettingill family where he never really had any hope in life.

This was how he dealt with a Hell's Angel bikie who was around celebrating his birthday at his property:

Dennis Allen’s response was to stop his drinking and fire five .32 calibre bullets into Kenny’s stomach which proved fatal. Allen then seemed to take pleasure in retrieving a chainsaw and cutting off Anton Kenny’s legs below the hip so that the corpse would fit more easily into a 44-gallon drum for disposal. The drum was pulled from the Yarra four months later.

http://www.citv.com.au/tough-nuts/profiles/bio.aspx?p=5

The drugs that he was heavily involved in probably didnt help but how a switch in his head could flick so quickly made him one scary bloke.

The other part of his story that always intrigues me is that he basically owned a block of houses in Richmond through criminal proceeds where he could evade police through connecting backyards to these houses etc. I also often think about the activities (incl. the quoted part above) that happened in these run down houses, and how much these places would be worth these days and whether the owners/residents known of said events. 37 Stephenson St, Richmond for those playing at home..

Given the central location of his residence, I dont reckon you'd have to go too far, maybe (hopefully) even on these forums, to find people who would have recollections of him in the Richmond area - pubs etc.

He died of heart failure a couple of decades ago when "pieces of his heart actually broke off after decades of heavy drug abuse"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Allen

Ive read a book or two by Lauchlan (forget his surname) he was the cop who infiltrated the family, and they make a great read.
I also worked for year in Richmond and one day drove around to look at the addresses mentioned. Most of them were new houses or vacant blocks, but there was one old victorian house still standind, with blackened windows, and bars and a very crude sign warning people to keep out.
I didn't hang around......

A very very bad dude, missed by nobody.

Wasn't he basically a rat to other criminals? Most murderers generally have a warped, misguided sense of morality and don't like to help the cops out. This guy was basically feeding the police information to get away himself.

The story about him going down a pub in Richmond shows how insane it all was. He went down a spot frequented by abattoir workers. Dennis Allen has human blood spilled all over his top and keeps saying how it's just animal blood. I guess the cops knew about him, but couldn't do anything, so why not?

Allen was a dog sure, so keep himself sweet.

i worked with a guy named peter ian robertson in the mid 90s,he had moved to a country town i wont mention,to in his words"get away from all the sxxx"i think the kath pettingill book came out around that time & all he could say was that dennis allen was a dog & that kath was a liar,he was referring to kath saying that she would kill dennis if she could & that no mother would ever kill her child.Then he started to spill the beans that he was an associate of them,he started telling some stories,but me & other co workers really knew nothing about it so we only paid polite interest.

At 1 point he was getting duty free items from me as i was going overseas 3-4 times a year & had no interest in cigarettes or duty free alcohol,so in exchange he would drive me into the city & buy the duty free on my ticket & wed make a night out of it,he showed me the pubs he used to frequent in hawthorn area,with disgust we went into 1 which was now a lesbian hangout with kd lang posters all over(she may have been touring),another night he took me on a tour showing me dennis allens houses,i really didnt know the significance & took little interest but how i wish i did(i took a walk a few years later & checked them out myself).

While working together the 2 of us & another guy would often buy a slab of vb stubbies & drink most of them by the yarra in this town,on reflection he is a guy i would trust on a personal level anytime,he had a code of ethics on all subjects,i didnt agree with him 100% but couldnt fault his sticking to his beliefs & what he thought was right & on at least 1 occasion i had a huge work related argument which remained just that & didnt extend further,on 1 brilliant occasion another worker was having a huge blew with the leading hand,a guy we all hated,it settled but there were going to be ramifications & as usual the worker would end up quitting or getting fired while this teflon txxx got away with it,with me in toe we walked up to this other worker,i was all prepared to praise him & wish him well & support when it went to management,but peter said straight away"we saw him threaten you with that knife"(during the argument the boss was topping & tailing full honey hams to be cryvaced,he simply was holding the knife while they argued),the bastards claimed no camera(to get the boss sacked)working,but it was enough to save the guys job with the doubt

some time later after both of us had moved on,i bought that book & 3 other crime books to read on my flights overseas,30,000 feet in the air i read the name peter ian robertson in the book by kath pettingill named the matriach,he was charged with the murder of anton kenny & jailed for it only to have his sentence reduced when dennis allen supposedly made a death bed confession,i was stunned,just this year some 15 years i would guess after that,i looked up peter ian robertson among others from my past online out of curiousity,seems he died around late july 2002,if this is the guy i knew which im 99% certain it would be,then i would like to pass on the highest regards,rip & say he is definately missed unlike mr.allen here as mentioned

Last edited:
I took jimmy's story to say he worked in an abattoir with a guy who was clearly a bit rough who had a chip on his shoulder about Dennis Allen, but didn't say more than that (cause he's not a dog).

Then it turned out Dennis had framed him up for murder and confessed at the last minute.

As for Dennis, I know he used to walk into pubs with his shirt off, tacky gold jewelery everywhere and put a snub nose down on the bar acting like king s**t. Most people with any sense ignored him.

Zero empathy about that guy at all, nothing positive about him. You can look at a guy like Chopper Reid and say a few good things about him, you can say the same of Carl Williams or any of the Morans as well.

I don't think I've ever read or heard a good word about Dennis Allen. Its a mixture of fear and revulsion and confusion.

My old man tells me a story about the times in the early 80's when he and a mate were teachers at Richmond Tafe, which was near Stephenson St. His mate used to park his car outside the Pettingills house, not really knowing who she or her family was but knowing they were scummy to say the least.
Apparently she used to go off at him, calling him filthy names for parking his car out the front of her house and not leaving room for the families cars. He used to laugh at her, calling her a stupid old bitch as he walked off to work laughing. This went on for around 11 months.
Dad tells me that his mate almost s**t himself when he started seeing reports about them in the papers etc.
Never parked his car in the street again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah an ex Painter and Docker told me he was seen as a bit of a joke/oddity around Richmond pubs the Dockers used to go to.

My family actually lived next door to Peter Allen in Lower Templestowe. Of course we had no idea of his criminal activities, until being woken up one morning with police on our roof and surrounding Allen's house. the only strange thing we ever noticed was hammering at times in the evening - of course this would have been to stash the goodies.

My family actually lived next door to Peter Allen in Lower Templestowe. Of course we had no idea of his criminal activities, until being woken up one morning with police on our roof and surrounding Allen's house. the only strange thing we ever noticed was hammering at times in the evening - of course this would have been to stash the goodies.

Does Peter have a son with the name starting with D?

Dennis was no master criminal. He was a low rent retail smack dealer with a propensity for violence well beyond what his level of operation ever called for.

Dennis was no master criminal. He was a low rent retail smack dealer with a propensity for violence well beyond what his level of operation ever called for.
He was a snake too – most criminals have a warped sense of morality but this bloke was dobbing in other criminals to try and get the cops on his side. He had no code and no rulebook. He was basically a working class bogan who had a knack for being cunning on the lowest common rung and that was enough to get by.

It's hilarious to hear the end of his life too; he was probably in the worst nick a human could be. His heart was apparently breaking off and on his death bed, a cop asked if he had a dying confession or anything to admit... he got the copper in close, and with a light breath said...

"I stole a pack o' twisties when I was a kid!"

Evil campaigner. That's it.

Ive read a book or two by Lauchlan (forget his surname) he was the cop who infiltrated the family, and they make a great read.
I also worked for year in Richmond and one day drove around to look at the addresses mentioned. Most of them were new houses or vacant blocks, but there was one old victorian house still standind, with blackened windows, and bars and a very crude sign warning people to keep out.
I didn't hang around......

Lachlan McCullough. Have had professional dealings with him. Very nice guy and has some amazing yarns.

He was a snake too – most criminals have a warped sense of morality but this bloke was dobbing in other criminals to try and get the cops on his side. He had no code and no rulebook. He was basically a working class bogan who had a knack for being cunning on the lowest common rung and that was enough to get by.

It's hilarious to hear the end of his life too; he was probably in the worst nick a human could be. His heart was apparently breaking off and on his death bed, a cop asked if he had a dying confession or anything to admit... he got the copper in close, and with a light breath said...

"I stole a pack o' twisties when I was a kid!"

Evil campaigner. That's it.

Yep, professional informer and heroin dealer.

Bully and speed freak who most likely have his own brother a hot shot.

As this thread attests, nobody ever had a good word to say about him.

Jason Ryan a very interesting unit. And of course the lovable Wendy Pierce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back