Oct 12, 2003
Drowning my sorrows on the end of some bar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, Green Bay
What are the Broncos doing ???

WHAT ARE THE BRONCOS THINKING?

According to Jay Glazer of Foxsports.com, the Broncos could be trading running back Reuben Droughns to the Browns for defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban.

The move would give the Broncos three members of the Browns' defensive line from 2004. And this raises an obvious question. What the f--k are the Broncos thinking?

The Browns had the worst rushing defense in 2004. Now, underachieving defensive tackle Gerard Warren is in the Denver fold, as is underachieving and constantly-injured defensive end Courtney Brown. Ekuban would complete the ******** trifecta.

So why? Sure, Browns defensive line coach Andre Patterson is now a member of the Broncos' coaching staff. But how can the guy already have garnered enough juice to cram three of his former players in Cleveland down Denver coach Mike Shanahan's throat?

And why three guys with a disturbing history of injury? In Ekuban's case, the Broncos and Browns are discussing, as Glazer reports, the possibility of draft choice compensation for 2006 if Ekuban is unable to play come September.

For Droughns, the potential move gives him a chance to be the featured back in Cleveland's new offense, which isn't a bad deal given the glut of available running backs.

If the move occurs, it also means that the Browns will be unlikely to select a running back in round one of the draft, making it far more likely that Cleveland will select one of the two top-shelf quarterbacks with the third overall pick.

Back to the Broncos, we're beginning to wonder whether Shanny's lifetime pass from owner Pat Bowlen is seriously holding the team back. With a total of zero playoff wins since blatant salary cap violations delivered back-to-back Super Bowl wins, Shanahan would be doing pop-ins with Rich Eisen right about now if Shanny were held to the same standard as, let's see, every other head coach from the past decade.

Re: What are the Broncos doing ???

I was saying the exact same thing to my Bronco fan mates last night.

And the deal is official, Reuben Droughns was traded to Cleveland for Ebenezer Ekuban and Michael Myers, making that 4 Browns D-Linemen on their roster.

Like I said to my mates last night, if any four of those start, the Bronc's D is ********ed...

The least I can say, at least Ekuban produced a little last year...

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Re: What are the Broncos doing ???

You got this from the pro football talk rumour mill. You should link it so people don't think you wrote it yourself. :cool:

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Clarett Waived

Maurice Clarett is expected to be one of the highest profile cuts in the NFL when the full cut lists become available on Aug. 30 and Sept. 4. And for now -- and events always are subject to change -- Denver has decided against placing Clarett on injured reserve, where he would have missed the coming season and had a chance to fully recover from the groin injury the running back claimed he incurred earlier this summer.

One of the biggest reasons Clarett is not expected to make it in Denver is the lack of maturity he demonstrated during the summer. He had a warped perception of his talents, thus bypassing a signing bonus for incentives. Clarett also agitated some of his teammates for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was conducting national TV interviews before he had accomplished anything on the field -- or even gotten on the field.
------------

Haha, the Donks are already releasing their 3rd round pick! What a waste of talent and a draft pick :) For those who don't know Maurice Clarett is the player who was kicked off the Ohio State Team for taking money and then sued the NFL to let him enter the draft early. Despite serious character flaws the Donks decided to burn a 3rd rounder on him and are now paying the price.

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Storm, Pompey
Re: Clarett Waived

Yeah well no suprises there.

He could have been alright, i actually wasnt too upset that we drafted him, but now that we are just cutting him, its kind of a waste, especially looking at who we could have got instead.

Either way, we're doing alright... we got enough backs to do the job and we cant have a guy on the team who seems to always be injured.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, Chi Bears, Chi Cubs

coasting said:
One of the biggest reasons Clarett is not expected to make it in Denver is the lack of maturity he demonstrated during the summer. He had a warped perception of his talents, thus bypassing a signing bonus for incentives. Clarett also agitated some of his teammates for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was conducting national TV interviews before he had accomplished anything on the field -- or even gotten on the field.
shoot, Clarett overestimated himself back in 02. :D spending two years away from any sport will hurt your ability to play, and actually playing football at some point in the last two years would have only helped him, I think.

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

fuey said:
One of the nails in the coffin for Shanahan.

I predicted earlier in the year that he'd get the arse, wasting a 3rd round pick does not help his cause.

Uh, it wasnt him himself who drafted Clarett....

Plus he is a Superbowl coach, not easy to get rid of him.. This year we will get bloody close to the Superbowl and he will keep he's job, cause he is a champ.

Mike Sherman is under pressure aswell..

camsmith said:
Uh, it wasnt him himself who drafted Clarett....

Plus he is a Superbowl coach, not easy to get rid of him..

Yes, it was Shanahan himself who drafted Clarett.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2044793 <--- MIght be ESPN Insider so possibly might not work.

Just in case it doesn't, the first line of the article reads:

NEW YORK -- Christmas came early to Maurice Clarett and Mike Shanahan played the part of Santa Claus.

And he was a Superbowl coach 7-8 years ago and has not had anywhere near the success he had with Elway. Has not won a playoff game since that second Superbowl.

Great QBs do that for you... and yes, I'm expecting a few sub-par seasons after Brett retires, probably even get a couple of top 5 draft picks after he goes. That's football. San Fran haven't been the same since Young, Miami hasn't been the same since Marion, Denver hasn't been the same since Elway. It's to be expected.

This year we will get bloody close to the Superbowl and he will keep he's job, cause he is a champ.

That's a matter of opinion... I think the Broncs have gone backwards, you think they've progressed, we could argue till the cows come home.

Mike Sherman is under pressure aswell..

What's the Shermanator got to do with this post? I didn't reply to start an argument, I replied to state my opinion. Whether you agree with it or not, it's your choice I won't hold an opinion against someone.

But since you want to go there, yes I know he is, and so he should be. Under him, we've been good, but not great. He's a decent coach, sucky GM, but now he only has to focus on the coaching bit. Good luck to him.

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

fuey said:
Yes, it was Shanahan himself who drafted Clarett.

He has the last say, but you dont think the other coaches and talent scouts wouldnt have any say?

fuey said:
And he was a Superbowl coach 7-8 years ago and has not had anywhere near the success he had with Elway. Has not won a playoff game since that second Superbowl.

Thats what you get when you are rebuilding a team, considering that, we have done pretty bloody well to have made the playoffs so many times IMO.
Yes we've lost a few, but comming up against the Colts indoor isnt the easiest thing in the world. I know you have to beat the best to be the best.. but just pointing it out.

fuey said:
Great QBs do that for you... and yes, I'm expecting a few sub-par seasons after Brett retires, probably even get a couple of top 5 draft picks after he goes. That's football. San Fran haven't been the same since Young, Miami hasn't been the same since Marion, Denver hasn't been the same since Elway. It's to be expected.

Thats true. But like i said, we've still been making playoffs.. So its not all bad.

fuey said:
That's a matter of opinion... I think the Broncs have gone backwards, you think they've progressed, we could argue till the cows come home.

lol we could. We have improved our defence even more in the off-season and have shown that our ground game is very good in the past, no matter who is running the ball.
We just need to work on our passing game ie: no INT's :p

...Whereas our D needs to get more turnovers.

fuey said:
What's the Shermanator got to do with this post? I didn't reply to start an argument, I replied to state my opinion. Whether you agree with it or not, it's your choice I won't hold an opinion against someone.

Just thought i'ld raise it, i dont want an argument either, just love talking football. :cool:

fuey said:
But since you want to go there, yes I know he is, and so he should be. Under him, we've been good, but not great. He's a decent coach, sucky GM, but now he only has to focus on the coaching bit. Good luck to him.

So if he is just a good coach, how will he go when Favre isnt playing?

Finally, out on interest, are you from Green Bay or just support them?

Re: First Nail in the Shanahan coffin

I'm with Fuey. Denver to struggle this season and with dumb Arse pick ups (don't these guys do any research on draft picks >> :eek: ) and we all know who will get eventually suffer the consequences at the end of the day. Fancy picking up a convoy of the Cleveland Clown D-line as well. :eek:

camsmith said:
So if he is just a good coach, how will he go when Favre isnt playing?

He'll do ok, I think. He's a smart guy, knows the game. Just made some bad decisions as the GM which hurt the talent of the team. He's got some excellent coaches with him and I can't see why they can't continue to win six or seven games a year or two post-Brett. If Rodgers and the D progress, I think we've got enough talent for 8-11 wins.

But there's a lot of variables between then and now...

Finally, out on interest, are you from Green Bay or just support them?

Just support them... don't think I'd survive Nov-Jan in Green Bay, I don't like cold weather.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

usalion

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Board HoF
Oct 5, 2004
Athens, GA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sunderland

Clarett was a longshot to make it anyway...sadly, a product of the hype system in the USA- built up because Ohio State was successful as a team, he was picked as the star on the team because of his position, and told he could make millions.

As others have pointed out, he doesn't have the dedication...he also isn't really that quick- his times at the combines were really slow for HBs.... and his attitude sucked....working at universities in the US, I've seen the players who think they don't have to study- well, Maurice may have to go back to school- but this time, there won't be an OSU stooge to sit his exxams....he'll find out what hard work really is....but I seriously doubt he will go back to school.

End of the road for Clarett.....

Re: denver's new head coach

Geez the Broncos were pretty pathetic today.

Was following it on the net, and the offense really struggled up until the last quarter. The D got walked over by a pretty average offense too.

The first half scoreline really didn't reflect Miami's dominance at all. It was pretty much long drive after long drive, and wore the broncos D down. And when Champ got injured the floodgates opened.

Frerotte is definitely the only QB on the roster that can lead them to some sort of respectability. Not a PO QB, but he'll do for now, I guess.

Schizo Broncos

Found this amusing article on NFL.com with TMQ Gregg Easterbrook

Read on....

"For the last two years, Denver has led the NFL in schizophrenia. The Broncos have gone 20-12 in the regular season, 0-2 in the playoffs." Now over three seasons Denver is 33-15 in the regular season and 1-3 in the postseason. In that preview, I hung recent Denver disappointment on postseason evaporation of the Broncs' running game and defense -- exactly what happened Sunday. Why does the Denver running attack shine in the regular season then wheeze out in the playoffs? Incredibly scientifically advanced answer: I don't know. Regarding the defense, answers seem clear: excessive blitzing that invites big plays, an overrated defensive backfield, predictable defensive game plans, and defensive coaches who act surprised when the opponent is prepared for the predictable defensive game plan. This season Denver was second against the rush but 29th against the pass. If you're 29th against the pass, you better not act surprised when your championship-game opponent opens by passing a lot.
:D

At this point in his career, John Lynch is a linebacker, not a defensive back. This season Lynch made the Pro Bowl on rep, since he's not even the best safety on the Denver team. (That's Nick Ferguson.) Denver got its great rush-defense stats partly because Lynch excels at run defense and played up in the line much of the time: but that meant when opponents passed, often Lynch was unable to help. Lynch has been up in the line so much lately, including on Sunday, the Broncos have been playing what amounts to a 4-4-3, which is a high-school look! A 4-4-3 stops the run but gets shredded by the pass. On Sunday, Lynch had just three tackles despite spending much of the game at the line, while making no big play. Megabucks corner Champ Bailey also made no big play, and for the second consecutive year was unimpressive in the Broncos' crunch game. As noted by reader Emanuele Fadini of Turin, Italy, on Roethlisberger's 12-yard touchdown pass to Cedric Wilson, which put the Steelers ahead 10-0, Bailey was making the high-school mistake of "looking into the backfield" trying to guess what Big Ben would do: Champ lost track of Wilson, who ended up unguarded. Bailey too made the Pro Bowl largely on rep: what sense does it make for a team that's 29th against the pass to have two defensive backs bound for Hawaii? "A lot of teams throw the ball against us, they just don't normally succeed," Denver corner Domonique Foxworth said after the game. Actually, practically everybody who throws the ball against Denver succeeds. Sunday, the Broncos' pass defense paid the piper.

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Re: Schizo Broncos

Agree with most things, before the game i knew it was the pass that would kill us, it has been whats stopped us progressing further into the playoffs the past two years. We tried to fix the problem in the off season by getting 3 new Cb's and 3 new D-linemen..

I disagree that Champ made no big plays, he stopped a huge 3rd down completion at a crucial time (and almost got an INT), stopping 3rd downs were not something that we were good at on the day.
Sure he let in an easy TD, but the rest of the D also who needs to look at how they played, from our line not causing enough pressure on the QB to our other D-backs who let way to many passes to be completed. (ie: foxworth)

I also cant agree with the statement "Bailey too made the Pro Bowl largely on rep" ..Bailey is easily in the top 3 or 4 corners in the AFC imo. You have to remember that he is always matched up against the best receiver of the opposing team, no easy task, yet he still comes out making huge plays (career high 8 INT's this season) and like we saw in many games this season those plays turned the momentum in our favor.

We need a cover safety next season and probably a new defensive coordinator if we are any chance of winning more than one game in the playoffs.

camsmith said:
I also cant agree with the statement "Bailey too made the Pro Bowl largely on rep" ..Bailey is easily in the top 3 or 4 corners in the AFC imo. You have to remember that he is always matched up against the best receiver of the opposing team,

Isn't that the case with the best corner on every team? :confused:

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

JeffDunne said:
Isn't that the case with the best corner on every team? :confused:

Well it is the logical thing to do. I was just adding the point, also QB's tend to be more cautious when throwing in the direction of champ.

manureid said:
Chump Bailey....nuff said

In the AFC this season:

3rd most Ints this season
Equal first most TD's
2nd most passes deflected

.... :rolleyes:

If thats a chump, i wish i was one to :thumbsu:

Re: Denver Broncos

Not the best, not the worst.

Probably just above average.

I think they need to re-build their Offensive and Defensive lines.

The O-Line is past it's prime, and while it was great a few years ago, they really haven't made many moves to stop the decline (apart from drafting Eslinger).

The D-Line, was very good in 05, but the plan to re-build with Cleveland Brown rejects backfired on them this year, as well as letting go of Trevor Pryce. Dumerville isn't an every down player.

Three spots in the defensive backfield will need attention also.

How Cutler developes will decide how good the team will be. But definitely need to get the trenches fixed before they can really challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back