Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Royce feels a little like the Montee Ball pick but I like it
That was my first thought.

Although I read up and one article said he was playing injured last year and the scheme change lead to him running between the tackles more, so he might actually be quicker than first thought.

I like the pick. 6' 220 lb is a great size for a HB

As I said earlier, I don't follow College Ball so have no idea outside of the "expert" reports on these players.
What I will say though is that besides lacking 1 extra O-Lineman I feel they drafted to fill roster gaps/weaknesses so I gotta be happy with that.
Time will tell if they're any good at NFL level! If they make it to the final roster.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kubiak was consulted frequently about offensive guys and had a big hand in creating the offensive draft board. His main duty though was to evaluate the QBs in this draft and let Elway know what he thought of them. If we drafted a QB it would have been the QB Kubiak and Elway mutually liked the most. In the end though, it’s Elway who calls the shots. Kubiak wanted Nelson at 5 and everyone else wanted Chubb.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Going by that I assume if Chubb was off the board (like Denver had predicted) we'd have drafted Nelson..

So going into the draft we were going OL first, only to be pleasantly surprised when the real #1 on our board was still available. Nice feeling to have I suppose.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
From NFL.com
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
The skinny: Chubb was the best value on the board for this team. Putting him and Von Miller on the same defense makes them dangerous again, like when DeMarcus Ware and Miller were doing their thing. Case Keenum's two-year deal took QB out of the equation here, and Paxton Lynch still has an opportunity to grow into a starter. Sutton's going to be a playmaker at the next level because of his quick feet and size. The Broncos also needed a running back after letting C.J. Anderson go, and found one in Freeman, who looked more explosive later in the 2017 season. He might be getting back to his former self after struggling through injury; if he returns to form, the team got a steal. Trading Aqib Talib meant the Broncos were in need of a corner with length. Yiadom is a good fit. Jewell was a fine fourth-round pick at inside linebacker for the Broncos. He's solid and able to cover space due to his instincts. Adding Hamilton a day after picking Sutton should make Keenum very happy. Fumagalli and Jones should have been picked a round or two earlier; both fill huge needs for the Broncos.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Going by that I assume if Chubb was off the board (like Denver had predicted) we'd have drafted Nelson..

So going into the draft we were going OL first, only to be pleasantly surprised when the real #1 on our board was still available. Nice feeling to have I suppose.
We were trading down with the Bills if the Browns took Chubb at 4 as far as I'm aware. Elway said he veto'd the trade as soon as the Browns passed on Chubb

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
We were trading down with the Bills if the Browns took Chubb at 4 as far as I'm aware. Elway said he veto'd the trade as soon as the Browns passed on Chubb
Yes, I read that only minutes after I posted haha.

I wonder; if we traded back with the Bills then saw Rosen falling would we have made a move back up to 7/8ish to take him.

We mightn't have been prepared to take him at 5 but if we saw him fall a bit I wonder how we'd have felt then.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos

He doesn't have explosive pace (although I've read a few times he's been playing through injury and is expected to be faster once he recovers from that) but he looks like a very good one cut back. Looks like he has good vision, and once he identifies the whole he cuts into it without hesitation and runs through. Decisive, strong runner by the looks of it.. I don't want to get to over excited but he reminds me of LeVeon Bell in that respect. Plays faster than he actually is.

I am concerned that Chubb’s 3 cone limits his potential

Similarly Freeman has so many carries, similar to Montee.

What I will say is that it is clear that we have changed our stance on character guys. All the guys drafted seem high character, which is potentially why Ray and Ball didn’t work out.

Time will tell

Freeman was probably a mistake, not as bad as Tampa picking RoJo at 38. Lets not even talk about the Seahawks.

If the Bronco's vision was to have another RBBC but get cheaper I guess their goals have been achieved.
I wanted Johnson, but he went higher than I thought. In fact many of the RBs did save Guice

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I am concerned that Chubb’s 3 cone limits his potential
Plenty of players have had poor workouts and become great players. Plenty have had great workouts yet turned out poor. It doesn't mean all that much in the end, like the 40 yd dash. It hardly means anything, once you've got the pads on in the game a 40 yard dash is almost useless.

He doesn't have great flexibility and bend, but he is quite long in the arms and has good leverage. He won't speed rush often, but you don't have to. I don't think he's going to be a 15 sack season guy, probably 9-11. But he is great against the run, using his leverage to set the edge and long arms to disengage and tackle. He's probably better vs the run than Von was coming out of college. Obviously Von was a better rusher. He'll be an all-rounder as opposed to pass rusher imo.

Plenty of players have had poor workouts and become great players. Plenty have had great workouts yet turned out poor. It doesn't mean all that much in the end, like the 40 yd dash. It hardly means anything, once you've got the pads on in the game a 40 yard dash is almost useless.

He doesn't have great flexibility and bend, but he is quite long in the arms and has good leverage. He won't speed rush often, but you don't have to. I don't think he's going to be a 15 sack season guy, probably 9-11. But he is great against the run, using his leverage to set the edge and long arms to disengage and tackle. He's probably better vs the run than Von was coming out of college. Obviously Von was a better rusher. He'll be an all-rounder as opposed to pass rusher imo.
They do. But not many are top 5 picks in a position a) isn’t their best position (4-3 end) and b) require bend to be most effective

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
They do. But not many are top 5 picks in a position a) isn’t their best position (4-3 end) and b) require bend to be most effective
I haven't seen enough of him to know his best position. But in an interview with him he said he played 3-4 LB earlier in college and even last year in a stand up position, so I'm not too concerned about that. Von wasn't a 3-4 OLB when drafted, he worked out fine. Admittedly he was/is a physical freak, however.

Is bend that important? It is to get around the edge, but if you're not trying to get around the edge I don't see how it's all that big of a deal.

I haven't seen enough of him to know his best position. But in an interview with him he said he played 3-4 LB earlier in college and even last year in a stand up position, so I'm not too concerned about that. Von wasn't a 3-4 OLB when drafted, he worked out fine. Admittedly he was/is a physical freak, however.

Is bend that important? It is to get around the edge, but if you're not trying to get around the edge I don't see how it's all that big of a deal.
Von was absolutely a 3-4 OLB when drafted

The concern was that we were running a 4-3 at the time

Back