Teams Denver Broncos - The Mile High Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in the draft thread yesterday

Was very interesting listening to Gettleman and Shurmar's press conference about Barkley.

A reporter was asking him if he every considered someone else at pick #2. He went on to say something like "There was one guy who we liked but we ended up having too many questions over him, so we just removed him from our board and our discussion early on" He then mumbled about "The questions were around will he fit our scheme" and he then kind of pulled himself up.

Obviously to me he was talking about Bradley Chubb. Interesting to hear that Gettleman thought he was too much of a risk. This is a bloke who LOVVES lineman and pass rushers more than anything in the world. And he has a great eye for drafting and recognising talent.

Perhaps Blacky is very much right to be concerned about Chubb in a 3-4. No doubt he suits a 4-3 best but for DG to see too many question marks early on in his evaluation is interesting.

Ive long been a Chubb will fit in any scheme believer, but hearing Gettleman have concerns like that has made me somewhat worried.

Von was absolutely a 3-4 OLB when drafted

The concern was that we were running a 4-3 at the time
Yes that's right. I got it the wrong way round, we were 4-3 and he was 3-4. My bad.
Also if you’re an EDGE rusher you need to get around the edge

Well yes that's a given. I probably worded it poorly but what I meant was there's other ways to get around the edge than speed and bend, like leverage and making good contact at the point of engagement, which he does well. He also has the strength to push the lineman backwards. There's more ways than blowing past a defender to get to the QB.

It's a concern, but to me it's not a deal breaker. As I said, I don't think he's a pure rusher (like he's marketed to be) but rather more balanced run stop v pass rush player and will end up a 8-12 sack a season player, rather than a Von like monster who can get 15+.

I wonder how he'd go playing inside, a 3-4 DE. Like Malik Jackson. He's got the length to do it, maybe not the weight at his point though. Still, could be where he ends up on passing downs. Shifts inside then Ray/Barrett jump outside of him.

Yes that's right. I got it the wrong way round, we were 4-3 and he was 3-4. My bad.

Well yes that's a given. I probably worded it poorly but what I meant was there's other ways to get around the edge than speed and bend, like leverage and making good contact at the point of engagement, which he does well. He also has the strength to push the lineman backwards. There's more ways than blowing past a defender to get to the QB.

It's a concern, but to me it's not a deal breaker. As I said, I don't think he's a pure rusher (like he's marketed to be) but rather more balanced run stop v pass rush player and will end up a 8-12 sack a season player, rather than a Von like monster who can get 15+.

I wonder how he'd go playing inside, a 3-4 DE. Like Malik Jackson. He's got the length to do it, maybe not the weight at his point though. Still, could be where he ends up on passing downs. Shifts inside then Ray/Barrett jump outside of him.
Fair points mate. He will kick inside on obvious passing downs and that will be quality as he can win with technique.

I’m a pessimist at heart and often think the worst (except when we drafted Von).

That said I love Sutton (my history with scouting WRs is chequered at best)

Fair points mate. He will kick inside on obvious passing downs and that will be quality as he can win with technique.

I’m a pessimist at heart and often think the worst (except when we drafted Von).

That said I love Sutton (my history with scouting WRs is chequered at best)
I was actually disappointed in the Von pick at the time. Not because I didn't like Von, but because I really, really wanted Patrick Peterson. Von was probably my no.2. Butt I'm happy now, obviously, as Peterson has been overhyped most of his career despite being a B+ corner at best and Von is a potential HoF player at this point.

I also like Sutton. Keenum should be pretty happy, he's got a few options at receiver! So long as he can stay upright...

I was actually disappointed in the Von pick at the time. Not because I didn't like Von, but because I really, really wanted Patrick Peterson. Von was probably my no.2. Butt I'm happy now, obviously, as Peterson has been overhyped most of his career despite being a B+ corner at best and Von is a potential HoF player at this point.

I also like Sutton. Keenum should be pretty happy, he's got a few options at receiver! So long as he can stay upright...
Haha mate I was on this very board wanting us to draft PP. fell in love with Von though.

Yeah the line is a concern, although Vikings isn’t premiun

I am concerned that Chubb’s 3 cone limits his potential

Similarly Freeman has so many carries, similar to Montee.

What I will say is that it is clear that we have changed our stance on character guys. All the guys drafted seem high character, which is potentially why Ray and Ball didn’t work out.

Time will tell
Agreed with all of this. I love Sutton. Something about him screams Rod Smith to me. He seems a lot more confident than DT was coming out

Dont forget this

dr3BMEK.png

Yiadom was our only pick who wasn't a team captain. Amazing

Tho Yiadom was awarded Boston College's Jay McGillis Memorial Scholarship, given to the player who best exemplifies team dedication and leadership.
It’s amazing the change in attitude towards character

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s amazing the change in attitude towards character
Also include how we traded Talib in the off-season as well.

Offloading a questionable character and drafted a slew of captains. Clearly something the staff thought was lacking, perhaps they think that was why we had a down year

temp180428_day2media_38--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Chad Kelly must be putting in work. He was the only guy present in the photos from both of the last 2 days. I've only heard good things about him since we drafted him. I'm fired up to see him in preseason. He should take the #2 spot because as far as I've heard he's been a first in last out type of guy, whereas Paxton has been the polar opposite.

temp180427_ChubbArrival_7--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp180428_day2media_11--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Yeah they were pretty crap this year. I actually bought one a few years ago I liked it so much. I'll pull a picture up a bit later, but I thought it was great.

I get the same feeling as you LA regarding Kelly. I was hoping, to a degree, that we wouldn't draft a QB because I wanted him to have a real chance.
There were questions before the draft process, however ever since he's arrived here it's been nothing but good news. Would love for him to become one of those redemption stories.

>Relative of a legend
>Has off field issues
>Gets drafted 7th round
>Turns his life around
>Goes above and beyond in terms of training effort
>Becomes a great player

Would be pretty sweet.

Broncos UDFAs:

WR Jimmy Williams, LB Jeff Holland, OL Leon Johnson, RB Phillip Lindsay, DT Lowell Lotulelei, DB Trey Marshall, OL Austin Schlottman, WR Jimmy Williams

Lotulelei is the younger brother of Star Lotulelei

Interesting to see that despite drafting 2 WRs and 2 RBs we still signed 2 further WRs and another back. Must really, really want to find someone in those positions. Even though these are most likely camp bodies we're not leaving any stone unturned to find one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back