Teams Denver Broncos - The Mile High Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Quarterback Paxton Lynch had a strong day, punctuated by his work leading the No. 2 offense on a quick touchdown drive near the end of practice.

Lynch completed three consecutive passes to march the offense to the end zone. First, he found DaeSean Hamilton deep down the left side for a long gain that moved the football to the Denver 15-yard line. He found Matt LaCosse for a 9-yard pickup on the next snap before rolling right on second-and-1 from the 6-yard line and hitting Traylor in the end zone for the score.

The final duel of the day went to the defense, leaving the offense doing push-ups as punishment.

The first, second and third units each lined up for one play, with the offense needing to score a touchdown. The No. 1 offense found the end zone on a Keenum-to-Devontae Booker swing pass, but the defense won in the duels of second- and third-teamers, with a Will Parks deflection of a Lynch pass sealing the win for the No. 2 defense.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
PRBs

Paxton was the big story today. I think he heard all the s**t being said recently so he went out and played exceptionally well. Days like today is what I want to see from Paxton. He has such amazing arm talent. His zip on the ball is tremendous and his footwork was on point today. The mother*er went through his progressions instead of panicking and look what happens. He just looked comfortable out there, he looked like a first round pick. PLEASE PAXTON DO THIS EVERYDAY.

Guys...I know it’s camp but holy s**t I’m excited for Courtland Sutton. I get a stupid ass grin on my face when I watch him play. I’m not saying this but I’m just saying he reminds me of Calvin Johnson (just sayin). Will Parks said today that Sutton looks like LeBron James out on the field. Aside from his freak athleticism and ability to win those jump balls, the dude just has solid hands. His inside route running looks crisp (his route running was a concern of mine) and he just snatches that ******* ball out of the air. I’m so excited for this guy.

DT is consistent. He made a very nice jumping end zone catch today over CHJ but otherwise it’s been fairly quiet from DT. Nothing super special aside from excellent route running and leadership. With that said though, DT is still a very solid receiver and he isn’t doing anything special in a way that’s beyond how great he already is. Sanders has been by far the best WR this camp though, with Sutton second.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/02/d...ey-chubb-jared-veldheer?utm_source=reddit.com

Legwold:

And one other item as Broncos' camp is set to enter Week 2 and the preseason games approach: Regardless of how it's been publicly framed, if Paxton Lynch and/or Chad Kelly don't pick up the pace in the days to come the Broncos will almost certainly check their options in the open market for a veteran quarterback. I refer one and all to what John Elway said to me the day the Broncos' veteran players reported -- That he liked what Lynch and Kelly had done "in the spring,'' but that he would consider bringing in a veteran quarterback "if they have some issues, and I don't expect them to, but if for some reason we think we need to I'd consider bringing in a veteran guy if the right guy was out there."

With the first week of training camp in the books for the Broncos, some thoughts: --Quarterback Case Keenum has been accurate, composed and yet still bold with the ball as he hasn't thrown an interception in team drills. If he carries that assertiveness into the regular season the Broncos offense can move the ball. --Don't watch the two rookie WRs -- Courtland Sutton and DaeSean Hamilton -- make catch after catch. Watch when Keenum throws them the ball. He trusts them both to be in the right spots in tight situations. That's usually an enormous hurdle for young players. --The Broncos defense is as athletic overall as it's been in recent years, but that No. 3 cornerback spot is a question that needs an answer if they're really going to lock people down. --If Shane Ray, Bradley Chubb and Von Miller each play 16 games, Miller will threaten his career-best in sacks in a season (18.5). --Their ability to solve their biggest problem -- their offensive line -- will not be revealed until to the games matter. But at least they are working five starters together early on in camp and seeing the benefits of that work, something they haven't done in recent years.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Not great reports about DT which is worrying. Counter to this though Sutton consistently getting praised is great.

Also, I though Shane Ray was out until at least the start of regular season? How's he looking so impressive in training?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
ufkibitdmesjni6smthl.jpg

bye8umtg9vnf6dlbjsco.jpg

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There are two sides to every play, and for Keenum and the offense, the interception was a teachable moment.

The scenario -- a 15-13 deficit in the final moments of the second quarter -- didn't call for a high-risk pass if it was unnecessary.

"It was a two-minute drill and it was really before half[time]," Head Coach Vance Joseph said. "It wasn’t to win the game. My thoughts to Case were to just be smart. We want points, but having points there is not urgent, right? It’s halftime."

Joseph cited the example of Janoris Jenkins' pick-six off of Trevor Siemian in the Broncos' loss to the New York Giants last year to illuminate his point.

"I brought him back to our Giants game last year. It’s a one-score game, we throw a pick before half and that game is over. That hit my head right away, the Giants game last year. It was the exact play, the exact same side of the field, a left throw, the left corner picked it and took it home.

"Just knowing situational football, having points there is not important. We want points, but it’s not urgent. So, be smart with the football."

Interesting that Joseph thinks a 9 point half time deficit means the game is over

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Interesting that Harris said Sutton needs to get better at running routes aside from the fade. That's basically what Dez did for a few years then fell off a cliff because he had nothing else to his game. I've noticed similar in Sutton, it's amazing right now but long term he needs to round his game. DT should be a great role model for that, coming out of college all he really could run is a go route, but he grew exponentially. Probably in no small part to PFM joining the team, but still. Not to take away from Sutton though, he's been amazing in camp and I'm excited to see what he can do in live game.

Interesting tidbit in this video by Shannon Sharpe, the whole video isn't about football or anything but in the last 30-40 seconds or so of the clip he mentions that no Broncos TEs has reached out to him for advice. DT has, but he's the only one.
That's disappointing to hear; you've got arguably the best receiving TE in history and you're not going to ask for some pointers? Cmon man.. I put that on the coaches, I don't blame a rookie/second year player for being intimidated to ask a HOFer for advice so the coaches should encourage him to do it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back