Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
John Elway: Gary Kubiak’s coming back, but don’t know role yet

Posted by Josh Alper on January 1, 2019, 6:39 AM EST

GettyImages-630769952-e1546342738231.jpg

Getty Images

In November, there was a report that the Broncos thought Gary Kubiak would consider returning to coaching as an offensive coordinator during the 2018 season and that there were potential head coaches who had him in mind as part of their staff.
Kubiak has been working in the Broncos’ personnel department and there were hints at General Manager John Elway’s Monday press conference that his return could to coaching could come in Denver. Elway said that Kubiak will be with the team in 2018 and that they are still sorting out what role he will play.
“We’ll see. We’re still in that process,” Elway said. “We still have a lot of things to go over before that, but I think it could be where it is, it could be on the offensive side [as a coach]. We’ll see what that role may be, but Gary will be around.”
When discussing what he’s looking for in a coach, Elway said he wants a coach who is “great on one side of the ball.” The names linked to the Broncos on Monday include defensive coaches like Vic Fangio and Chuck Pagano and it appears that hiring one of them could lead to Kubiak taking over the offense in Denver.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Chris Harris feels Broncos haven’t evolved since winning Super Bowl

Posted by Josh Alper on January 1, 2019, 8:15 AM EST

GettyImages-1065229252-e1546348527641.jpg

Getty Images

The Broncos fired Vance Joseph on Monday after two years as their head coach and it’s not clear who will be replacing him, but one of the team’s defensive veterans has a clear idea of what the new coach has to do.
Cornerback Chris Harris has been with the team since 2011 and was part of two teams that went to the Super Bowl, including the Super Bowl 50 winners in 2016. Harris said on Monday that the team has failed to grow since that victory.
“I think, after the Super Bowl, we just kind of got stagnant. We haven’t evolved,” Harris said, via the Denver Post. “So we’ve got to figure out how we can evolve on offense, defense, special teams, everything … In terms of the NFL, we’re behind right now. We’ve got to just get with the times … we kind of just stayed doing the same thing we’ve been doing since 2015. It’s 2019 now … We can’t do the same things. I have to evolve my game. I can’t think I’m still going to play the same coverage [how] I played in 2015 or 2013. I have to evolve my game. And we have to evolve, too.”
Harris said he “always wanted to retire here and finish my career here,” but wants to win as his career winds down and is “waiting to see” how the coaching change impacts things on that front.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would love it if Kubes came back as OC.

People need to remember our offense was actually good the first half of 2016. If CJ Anderson doesn't get injured we 100000% make the playoffs that year, and this might be a long shot, but we probably could have gone 12-4 and won the division, seriously.

We now have a better QB, better Oline, and have some decent backs, that actually fit better with Kubes than CJ ever did.

In the likely scenario we get another first time HC he would be of great help to them as well. I think he and Zac Taylor would mesh well as they're both from the same tree and Taylor can bring his knowledge from what they're doing in LA to modernise Kubiak's vision.

Keenum would also be perfect for that system IMO. He is pretty darn good on PA and roll outs

Could work too if we were to hire Fangio, let Kubes handle the O and Fangio handle the D. Fangio would likely bring an assistant from Chicago to be DC, someone like Ed Donatell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Both deserve to be in, but Champ is out and out the better player and deserves to be in first ballot.

I hope both go in, but have a feeling the committee will baulk at the thought of 2 players from 1 team going in the same year. If that's the case it has to be Champ.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Broncos become a basket-case in a hurry. This always starts happening when ownership is an issue. In Denver's case, no owner in place, no singular voice/direction/authority.
Until that gets resolved, it's gonna get worse in Denver.....

-----------------

Von Miller’s mom isn’t happy with John Elway

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2019, 9:19 PM EST

GettyImages-1076013480-e1546654779472.jpg

Getty Images

A couple of years ago, Broncos G.M. John Elway and Broncos pass rusher Von Miller battled at the bargaining table. Elway now has a problem with a member of Miller’s family.

As explained by Mike Klis of 9News.com, Von’s mom has taken issue with Elway’s recent comments regarding potential changes to the team — comments that didn’t include ruling out trading Miller.

Wrote Miller’s mom in response on Instagram, responding to a now-deleted blog post that apparently overstated Elway’s remarks: “Not because he’s my Son but, he’s the main reason Denver won the Super Bowl. Von’s NOT the problem the problem is Elway … EVERY QB he’s brought in was a fluke!! He wants to halfass pay the vets but wants them to perform at a high caliber. He has no clue on drafting at any position. He needs to work on an offensive line & QB. Trading Von isn’t the answer but best of luck with that. Elway has wasted more money on QBs than ANY TEAM IN THE NFL. I get it it’s easier to blame Von but it’s NOT HIM. #WhatupDallas #SendJerryJobysNumber.”

(Jerry is Jones, the Cowboys owner. And Joby is Branion, Von’s agent.)

Von’s father spoke to Klis about the situation.

“I try to be as proactive as I possibly can by letting my family now there’s going to be things said, regardless,” Von Miller Sr. said. “I try to keep my family prepared. A trade hadn’t entered my mind, but this is the world we live in. You can never say 100 percent something won’t happen.

“We would much rather Von spend the rest of his career in Denver, but we don’t have any control over it. And his mom feels the same way. With all honesty, we’re Denver fans for life. We’re Denver parents for life. But that’s the only control we have.”

Elway made the comment in question earlier in the week, in response to a question about trading current players.

“I think we’re going to visit all that,” Elway said. “I think we have to look all the possibilities and get an evaluation of that. One thing that has to happen is we have to play better. Our great players have to play better, too. Again, when we’re going around and trying to assess blame — which we don’t, we’re trying to find solutions not assess blame. We’re trying to evaluate what went on and then find solutions. One of the solutions is that we’re going to need our core guys to play better. Von, he had a good year this year. Can Von play better? Yeah, I think Von can play better. That’s part of the new thing when that comes in with the next coach.”

That’s the first order of business in Denver. Then, when the new coach is hired, decisions can be made about the roster for 2019 and beyond.

So they can fill Mile High Stadium?
Where is the Raiders home field for 2019?

We can rent you ours as you dont have one...

Now back to the trailer park double wide for you.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
http://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=2719797

Note this paragraph, Rod Smith on Champ:

"I'm going to go out on a limb," Smith said last week as snow descended on the Broncos' practice facility. "This is real close with him and another guy. [Bailey's] the best football player, period, any position I've ever played with. John Elway is a legend. Champ is at that status.
"Honestly, the best football player I've ever played with -- or against."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back