Teams Denver Broncos - The Mile High Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Broncos hired George Paton as general manager.
Paton gets a six-year deal to replace John Elway, who was moved to president of football operations this offseason. The Broncos are the first team to lure Paton from Minnesota, where he's been one of the top personnel men the last 14 seasons. Paton had six playoff appearances and made two NFC Championship games during that span. He also played a role in drafting players like Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, and Anthony Barr. Paton will be tasked with finding a franchise quarterback in Denver after Drew Lock took a step back in his second season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ABC Denver
Jan 13, 2021, 12:46 PM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Will Von be on the Broncos for he 21' season?

Hope not honestly.

We were somewhat quick to move on some of our offensive studs a few years back - I think his time has come and the call is needed.

Not to say I did not love watching him play, and his role in our contention/SuperBowl years and the defence we had is legendary.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
It probably is the best thing, to trade him, considering we aren't in contention anymore and he won't take a pay cut.

A contender would love Von, so long as it isn't Tampa or KC.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Broncos president of football operations John Elway said he remains high on Drew Lock, but that new GM George Paton "will continue to look to fill that spot if we don't think that Drew is that guy."
Elway called Lock's 2020 "essentially his rookie year," attributing his lack of development to various reasons, including the COVID-19 pandemic, young supporting cast and new offensive coordinator. For his part, Paton did not commit to Lock, but he did throw some bouquets his way. “I liked Drew coming out of the draft. A big arm, athletic, a play-maker,” Paton said. “I’ve watched enough tape to know that he’s talented. He can develop.” Lock's physical tools will always intrigue, while there is some truth to what Elway said. It's just hard to believe he is going to improve to the degree he needs to. Lock will have to make an even bigger leap than Josh Allen did when it comes to accuracy and decision-making. Allen's 2020 breakthrough was coming from a much higher baseline.
SOURCE: Kyle Fredrickson on Twitter
Jan 19, 2021, 1:55 PM ET

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Doubtful we are in a financial/trade position to secure a franchise QB (which is more or less Watson), and I haven't seen anything in the draft so suggest depth enough that there is a boom QB waiting for us at our first pick.

I suspect we will give him one more year. Hope the development continues, OL improvements, Sutton back. In the meantime, offload Miller to free up cap space and see where we are at the end of next season. All goes well, we develops nicely and we are in playoffs/serious playoff contention late in the year. it goes bust, and Lock will be done and hopefully we have good trade currency, cap space or draft pick.

By appointing Paton GM now, everyone key has bought themselves another year, except maybe Miller for multiple reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back