Speculation Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Drafted in 2020 at #6, has played 28 games (without setting the world on fire) and been largely injured through the last year and a bit, currently uncontracted at end of this season as far as I can find records?

Despite not being amazing at AFL level (so-far), and currently recovering from injury, he was the best defender in his draft and was excellent at WAFL level as an intercepting defender.

If Hawks haven't extended him already and just not announced it, he is almost halfway through the last year of his contract, what do we think it would take to pry him out of the Hawks trade wise?

1715901569950.png

Fourth year and still not really pressing his case at VFL level (albeit injury impacted). He’s borderline a delist.
Won’t be delisted as a tall can live of draft hype for years. But I imagine unless he shows something in the second half of the year he’d be looking at a one year extension from us. Maybe take 2 years to pry him out?

In terms of trade currency if he didn’t request a trade, we’d get very little.

What a stinker of a draft that 2020 was.

I had a look through it and I can count maybe 15 best 22 players?

4 of those are best 22 at a club that didn't draft them (Henry, Bruhn, Hollands, Brockman (?)).

Outside of Gulden no stars. Jamarra maybe.

6 of the top 10 look like slow burns at best and busts at worst.

What a stinker of a draft that 2020 was.

I had a look through it and I can count maybe 15 best 22 players?

4 of those are best 22 at a club that didn't draft them (Henry, Bruhn, Hollands, Brockman (?)).

Outside of Gulden no stars. Jamarra maybe.

6 of the top 10 look like slow burns at best and busts at worst.
It was fairly KPP heavy in the top end so it probably hasn’t been long enough yet to judge whether they’ll be stars yet.

Jamarra will be but isn’t yet, Thilthorpe has shown enough in my opinion to suggest he will be a decent ruck forward, but not a star. Logan McDonald looks the goods. Agree Gulden is currently the best from the draft. Max Holmes is a gun as well.

It was fairly KPP heavy in the top end so it probably hasn’t been long enough yet to judge whether they’ll be stars yet.

Jamarra will be but isn’t yet, Thilthorpe has shown enough in my opinion to suggest he will be a decent ruck forward, but not a star. Logan McDonald looks the goods. Agree Gulden is currently the best from the draft. Max Holmes is a gun as well.
Freo getting Walker, Chapman and Treacy out of that stinker is arguably the best drafting we've ever done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo getting Walker, Chapman and Treacy out of that stinker is arguably the best drafting we've ever done

Geelong getting holmes bruhn ollie henry plus trading cameron out of it isnt bad either.
I also have some confidence that shannon neale will be decent (albeit not as good as the other guys we took that year).

Thillthorpe is more than just a capable ruck forward.
He can do things very few big Ken can do.
He just needs to stay healthy.
He is very mobile. He has a great set of hands. He can kick bunches of goals. He is a freak below his knees.
His issue is getting a decent run of it.

Thillthorpe is more than just a capable ruck forward.
He can do things very few big Ken can do.
He just needs to stay healthy.
He is very mobile. He has a great set of hands. He can kick bunches of goals. He is a freak below his knees.
His issue is getting a decent run of it.
I don't doubt that, unfortunately his durability at this stage means he can't be rated as anything other than a decent prospect.

Fourth year and still not really pressing his case at VFL level (albeit injury impacted). He’s borderline a delist.
I don’t know about you, but having a single game back from injury as your chance to “press” for an AFL recall sounds pretty damn unlikely.

😂 Nice caveat after 1 game.

He’s objectively not pressing his case, and frankly wasn’t previously either, but this year has been injury impacted. What part of this are you struggling with?

I said “still” not really pressing his case, I.e. he wasn’t really last year either and nothing has changed, albeit because of injury.

Last edited:
He’s objectively not pressing his case, and frankly wasn’t previously either, but this year has been injury impacted. What part of this are you struggling with?

I said “still” not really pressing his case, I.e. he wasn’t really last year either and nothing has changed, albeit because of injury.
Yeah, you waited for him to play 1 game this year to claim that he’s not pressed his case, but yeah, caveats…

Yeah, you waited for him to play 1 game this year to claim that he’s not pressed his case, but yeah, caveats…

“Waited”… He’s currently half way through his fourth year and shown very little as an AFL level prospect? Why would I need to wait for yet another nondescript VFL game from him to say he hasn’t pressed his case? He’s had 3.5 years.

Are you disagreeing with that? I can’t work out what your brain is malfunctioning over with this.

Persevere. His best role is literally what Sicily is doing; naturally, Sicily is always going to be first picked. Once Sicily ages into more of a role-player / retires, he’ll show his value and reward the faith.

Mind, bloke needs a tank desperately.

Is it him not working hard enough or just down to genetics / already plateauing in that space?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back