Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by The_Wookie, Dec 24, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. Glacier

Glacier Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    In better news
    Today I got the call I wanted
    A call to say yes, here's your new career welcome aboard
    I've been in the same job for 24 years but I suppose making changes in life or having them forced upon you gives you the chance to go for what you wanted
    I can now happily resign and start afresh
    Next chapter in life in just about to open

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. mxett

mxett Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    awesome news. Thanks for sharing. I really hope this is the start of better days for you and your kids

Glacier likes this.
  3. Daniel1812

Daniel1812 Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Paul Pierce! Philly Eagles
    Today I have felt a tiny bit better, I have a job interview with Optus and passed a uni assignment. None the less just gathering support from my girlfriend would be fantastic to try and get the anxiety off my chest.

Love the last line, I'm here if anybody needs :)

4. mxett

mxett Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    glad your day was better. And helping others is one of the best things one can do for your own mental health. It works wonders for me

sammm and Glacier like this.
  5. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    Congratulations.
    I'm the opposite. I have a terrible relationship with my mum. I stopped talking to her for several years. I am learning to love her and except she is human too. I in no way accept her poor behavior but I can feel compassion for her as I can see she is 1 messed up little girl who has her own parental issues.
    By letting her go, finding forgiveness in my heart I am also letting go of my anger, guilt, shame and despair.
    I try to remember, bad behavior represents unhappiness. Dont take anything personally.

mxett likes this.
  6. GotTheGoodes

GotTheGoodes Bloods

Sydney
    Other teams:
    How'd the interview go mate? Got through it in one piece?

Daniel1812 likes this.
  7. Daniel1812

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Thanks for asking mate

I didn't get the job unfortunately, I thought my interview was decent with the answers I gave, although the questions were difficult to answer :(

GotTheGoodes likes this.
  8. GotTheGoodes

GotTheGoodes Bloods

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Awesome you got one & had that experience though mate. Will hold you in good stead for the next one. You've done one more online interview than I have in my life anyway! :thumbsu:

Nugett and Daniel1812 like this.
  9. Daniel1812

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    haha! Thank you! I would've loved to get a job since Uni is finishing soon and need the cash. But I will learn from my mistakes :)

Nugett and GotTheGoodes like this.
  10. vmasco

vmasco Team Captain

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Thanks mighty, I appreciate what you are saying - It must take a massive amount of inner strength to reach that point of forgiveness. I'm just not ready to do so yet, even though as you say it can allow the release of so much turmoil.

And to make matters worse the job I started back in August has turned out to be a nightmare with the place swarming with egos and narcissists who seem to be only interested in big-noting themselves rather than getting the best out of each other.

A friend told me a quote recently along the lines of the universe will keep handing us lessons and if we don't get it the lessons will come with harsher consequences until we do learn. I know I'm a stubborn campaigner (thanks a million Dad:rolleyes:) and I'm obviously not getting it cos I'm getting absolutely smacked around at the moment.:(

11. Glacier

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    I think all of us on here are getting smacked in life at the moment
    That's why we come on here with like minded people who, although not knowing each other, are connected because of our struggles
    I find that it's just great to have others listen then I don't feel so alone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Tiffsta

Tiffsta Debutant

Essendon
    Other teams:
  13. Daniel1812

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Trying to talk about your anxiety to your girlfriend and it's so difficult :(.

14. mxett

mxett Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    how is she taking it all?

Daniel1812 likes this.
  15. Daniel1812

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Going to tonight *sigh* haha.

Don't want to but i have too :(

vmasco and sammm like this.
  16. mxett

mxett Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Its definitely the right think to do. You might be surprised how supportive she is. Good luck

17. Daniel1812

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Mixed feeling on what she said last night....

18. GotTheGoodes

GotTheGoodes Bloods

Sydney
    Other teams:
    To be harshly honest with you mate, the most important person is you. You need to ensure you do what is right for you. It's your health, it's your body, it's your mind. Obviously she is an important part of that but at the end of the day you need to ensure, no matter what, you allow yourself to focus on what's best for you.

It sounds a little harsh but I wish I had that advice 5,10 or 15odd years ago.

None-the-less, how did she take it (if you don't mind me asking)? No need to respond if you don't wish to discuss either. All good. :thumbsu:

Glacier and Daniel1812 like this.
  19. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    Hey buddy. It's a work in progress for me. But to be around the old girl (on my terms) and not losing my cool is a start. Work sux when you are around those types of people.
    There is a book called the power of now. I tried reading it but see if you can get the audio for it. Gives you a perspective on other people's (and our own) poor behavior and how to not let it get to you in a negative way. It changed my life for the better.
    Peace and love mate.

vmasco likes this.
  20. BK Eaglesfan

BK Eaglesfan Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Best thread on this site and one I wish I’d opened far sooner. So good to see guys supporting each other. I come here to chat about footy, I guess partly because I’m lonely at times and sometimes the negativity, shitfights and trolling don’t exactly inspire.

Been a tough couple of years and just as I thought I was coming out the other side it’s got tough again the last few days.

Stay strong all of you doing it tough and thank you for everyone sharing their struggles in this thread and commenting to try and offer a helping hand. Actually helps tonight reading all your comments, the tough ones and the support.

The_Wookie, Eaglespur, vmasco and 3 others like this.
  21. Nugett

Nugett Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    I work in a place very similar to what your describing. It's run like a school, where the more you suck arse and dob others in, then your recognised in a good way. Rather than helping each other, it's pretty much a divide and conquer attitude. The union rep is a leading hand, that goes round telling her members that they should be grateful for having a job, the entire place is a joke. Unfortunately they do pay well. Only reason why I'm there.
    At the moment I'm in negotiations to buy my own business with an ex work colleague. But to pay back the loan for the business will probably have stay in my dead end job for another couple years. Patience may be a virtue. But it's stuffed!

vmasco likes this.
  22. Chief

Chief Admin

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Government?

23. Nugett

Nugett Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Lol. Try a big company. Have worked for the federal government previously though. It's actually not that bad.

24. SarahSmiles

SarahSmiles Debutant

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Renegades
    Amazing thread

Eaglespur, Daniel1812 and Glacier like this.
  25. Glacier

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Underrated thread

Nugett and Daniel1812 like this.