Mod. Notice - Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP | Page 33 | BigFooty

Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by The_Wookie, Dec 24, 2015.

1. HumanMeatball

HumanMeatball Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Bombers
    It’s pathetic when it consumes my daily life and I struggle to function some days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Nugett

Nugett Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Been there.
    You feel pathetic, worthless, CBF doing anything. All of the worlds problems are on your shoulders. Blinds/curtains closed, can't be bothered shaving, eating is too much of an effort, constantly thinking of what's wrong. Feeling weak and hopeless. Sleep is hard (at least for me). I spent 2 days in hospital with suspected appendicitis, which turned out to be a Bowel infection, caused through stress and anxiety.

You are not pathetic nor are you weak. You are person that currently has issues. If you want to talk I'm happy to listen without judgement as are others on here. But give yourself a chance. We are all human. Talk to me or anyone, you are not alone in this. Also look at speaking to a professional, they can and will help you.

Tredz, sammm, Aeglos and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ando727

Ando727 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Sounds excellent, mate. Very proactive and focussed. All the best with it. Let us know how you get on with it.

maljones, sammm and Nugett like this.
  4. Nugett

Nugett Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Thanks mate. Also thanks for the support I need it!

Ando727 likes this.
  5. Ando727

Ando727 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    I've done something a but unusual this year as my New Year's resolution. I started a fast the moment 2018 ticked over. I have not eaten a single thing in nearly 5 days - just drunk water. I read up on it carefully in the weeks leading up to it so that I could do it safely. The reason is that I haven't been feeling good in my body for a while - like I was full of toxins and feeling bloated, sluggish and tired a lot of the time (Christmas only exacerbated this problem). I had some intestinal distress too.

So I started this fast at midnight, and I have been in full determination mode. The reasoning behind fasting is that toxins do indeed accumulate in your system - and because we are so well fed in our modern world, a lot of cellular material hangs around because the body has no motivation to clean it up. There is one trigger that tells the body to clean up - fasting. When you are not taking in food, the body goes through a process of burning off all remaining storage of carbohydrate in the body. After that is consumed, it moves across to burning body-fat as it's energy source. The body still needs a small amount of glucose to operate, but not very much, and the liver is able to synthesise its own glucose from the body's own resources. There are a lot of damaged cells that stay alive in the body because of how well fed we are all the time. When you stop eating for a few days, a process called "autophagy" begins. It's when the body sends out immune cells to eat up all the junk in your body - mainly bits and pieces of cells. Whole damaged cells are dismantled and recycled by the body as building blocks for new proteins. At the same time, because you are not taking in any new toxins through eating, your liver and kidneys also get a chance to clean out the toxins from your system. The combined result is a detoxified body, and reduced cellular junk. This process is thought to have very powerful benefits in preventing disease. Cancer, for example, happens when cells become damaged and genetically altered - eventually enough to transition into cancer cells. By fasting, you can get rid of a huge number of this damaged cell population and quite possibly prevent yourself getting cancer. Also the brain undergoes a cleanup process too - for the same reason. It's called neurophagy. Basically your body eating up disused or damaged/inefficient cell material. This is considered to be a main cause of Alzheimers and other neurodegenerative diseases. People who do regular fasting show very much reduced rates of Alzheimers and other such diseases.

So, I figure I'm doing myself a big favour in doing this for my body. To be honest, it hasn't really been that hard for me. I'm not one of those types who say they're going to faint if they don't eat every 4 hours. I frequently go all day without eating and fill up at night. Day 1 was weird but not that hard. Day 2 was the hardest - that's when your energy crashes and you get massive stomach rumbling. Day 3, things get easier again - by that stage you've fully switched over to fat for your energy. Cravings come and go, but they aren't crushing. It's like your body doesn't feel starved because it's got plenty of fat to work with. Day 4 was easier than day 3. To be honest, I feel like I could easily go a week - although I'm not sure I should on my very first fast.

I now feel like I have a constant level of energy - not as zippy as my best moments with my usual diet, but also never as bad as when I'm on that diet. It's an interesting mental test. It's definitely tough: you have to ignore a lot of ingrained responses you have to your body. You have to deal with discomfort. But after a while, you gain clarity. I have felt free from the never ending obsession with getting fed - and all the time that takes. I've felt more focussed and more balanced - especially on days 3 and 4. I am carrying some extra weight, so I don't feel like I'm going to run out of energy any time soon. I feel just fine - just a bit hungry all the time. But you get used to it. I think modern humans treat hunger like an unacceptable stress and so we feed ourselves at every chance we get. The truth is, we evolved to go very long periods without eating. We can do it - and we possibly should do it. It can help us get our lean mean fighting machine back. I think I'll probably break my fast on Saturday (partly because my family will start to worry that I have a mental illness!), but I can definitely see this becoming a regular part of my life. Maybe I'll do as some of the ancient Chinese did - fast at the start of every season. 4 decent fasts every year should keep things in order. I think it will also teach me to be more mindful of food and what I'm eating. I did find out that I am pretty mentally tough when I decide to be.

So, there it is. A bit off topic maybe, I'm not telling anyone they should do this. Most of you probably think I'm batshit crazy, but I thought it's possibly of interest to somebody.

6. John Who

John Who Premiership Player

Adelaide
    The 3 stages you described is helpful for anyone with stress, not just for mental illnesses. Diet and exercise is crucial to getting the mindset right. But also stay away from people who try and bring you down, including trolls on BF. :)

Swooping Crow, boondy and Nugett like this.
  7. Mootsy

Mootsy Premiership Player

Essendon
    Ando: I really needed to read something like that!! Thanks.

Swooping Crow, boondy and Ando727 like this.
  8. HumanMeatball

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Bombers
    Feeling heaps better on these tablets now. The constant fog from the first few days has almost gone. Still get the anxious thought but I’m 10 folds better then I was

snozulu, Tredz, Spongebob and 6 others like this.
  9. kane249

kane249 Death by Snu Snu

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Sth Freo, Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
  10. Percel

Percel Percel doesn't like microwave meals

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Champtown Campaigners
    dreadful news, RIP good man

Wooshette likes this.
  11. Wooshette

Wooshette ‘They’

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Slytherin, Noble Park Bulls
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Tredz, John Who, Nugett and 1 other person like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. hotkorma

hotkorma YESS

Essendon
    Really sorry to hear about the guy above.

I’ve been listening to a Joe Rogan’s podcasts recently. This one, whilst about TBI’s, talks about some really relevant points.

I’ve tried a number of different therapies over the last 12-18 months and none have really done much. Compounding this was having surgery about 8 weeks ago and I haven’t been able to exercise. As a result I’ve noticed a fairly sharp increase in my symptoms, which has been pretty scary to be honest. There have been some really dark points. I’m back exercising now so I am hoping this settles down.

I’ve made an appointment with my Dr to talk about hormone testing. I’m actually quite excited about the possibility of this working and getting back to how I was. Have a listen if you like.

Even if you are suffering in silence you aren’t alone, even if you want to be.

Eaglespur, Mootsy and John Who like this.
  13. Nugett

Nugett Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Sad to hear the news. Wishing his/her family all the best through this time.

14. mxett

mxett Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    As an anxiety sufferer I would like to share something I have discovered about this disorder. Anxiety floods your system with adrenaline, the fight, flight, or freeze hormone. This primitive and natural reaction to perceived danger produces amazing physical responses including racing heart, sick stomach, sweating, aches, trembling, confusion, blurred vision, panic, chest tightness etc, and is designed to save your life from any and every form of threat to your safety. In it's most basic form this response can be real, like to a predator, which is the way the response works for the animal kingdom. For more advanced minds like humans and our over-thinking brain, the response is triggered when we perceive our safety is threatened by real and/or imagined danger from death, injury, illness or even our social standing.

For health anxiety this relates to a fear of illness and death. When you fear these threats your adrenaline surges causing the fight, flight and freeze response and all the related unpleasant feelings. This is just adrenaline doing the work it was designed to do. These feelings can be so strong they can make you wonder if something is wrong with you, causing even more fear, and you guessed it, even more surges of adrenaline. It becomes a vicious circle of fear, physical response, and more fear. Adrenaline also causes you to catastrophise, to imagine the worst most catastrophic outcome for everything. But again, this is natural. Your mind is preparing you in case the worst occurs so you can respond.

For me the most successful way to deal with these fears is to accept them as my minds normal catastrophising reaction to my bodies natural response to fear. In fact acceptance is a massive part of the recovery process from anxiety. Treatments like Acceptance and Commitment therapy, and the work of Dr Claire Weekes describe well how acceptance works. Accept your physical feelings are natural, and let them be, they arent dangerous, they are normal. Accept that your fears of these feelings, and your health in general, are simply your mind catastrophising which is also normal, and let them remain as just thoughts. Accept, accept accept Dr Weekes said.

If you want to discuss this further pm me. Hope this helps.

15. HumanMeatball

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Bombers
    This was pretty insightful and appreciate it and I may shoot you a pm at some stage. It’s tricky with my anxiety as whenever I get the all clear on one symptom my body creates a new one and I think this isn’t right ect ect.

boondy likes this.
  16. mxett

mxett Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    the symptoms of anxiety vary a lot, I've had many different ones and it took me a while to realise they were only anxiety. But I can assure you, your body is reacting normally to a threat your mind believes is real. Your mind identifies the new symptom and catastrophises by saying "this is new, it must be a real illness, oh no!". Anxiety makes your fight and flight centre, your amygdala, over active. It works overtime looking for threats to ensure you are safe. But these threats arent real, you can relax. How? I do it with Mindfulness.

Do you practice mindfulness? I recommend you do because it can be invaluable for mental health. I'm so good at it now I can observe my mind saying things to me like I mentioned above, and rather than getting caught up in the 'story' I can step away from the thought and see it for what it is, a mere catastrophic thought about a normal physical reaction. Then I can simply let the thought go and proceed with my day.

Aeglos and boondy like this.
  17. HumanMeatball

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Bombers
    Think I’ll definitely shoot you a pm mate.

18. boondy

boondy I pity the fool

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Yes
    Stay strong buddy, I know bigfooty has the occasional poster or 2 that can really bring a person down, this thread is awsome .

sammm and John Who like this.
  19. DapperJong

DapperJong Hall of Famer

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Juventus
    Hey.

I love you.

Tredz and boondy like this.
  20. HumanMeatball

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Bombers
    I’m feeling much then I was at that stage. Not 100% but getting better

Tredz, Nugett, DapperJong and 2 others like this.
  21. boondy

boondy I pity the fool

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Yes
    Everyone has melancholy periods in there life. I just had a bit of a flu thing and felt useless for the last 2 weeks. My wife said are you depressed . I said yes but also no I am not. I read this thread through the last 2 weeks, i was really encouraged , had a great day yesterday, probably overdid it, back down a bit today, still on holidays so no big deal. Some nights I dont sleep well but I dont stress about it . I refuse to because it means the next night I will sleep better. I'm 55 now and think back when I was at my lowest when in my 30s simple things my dad said when I rang him "go look at trees the sky etc. Just do a positive simple thing if you can. Mum would say Straighten your bed. Do the dishes. If you do those 2 things it will make you feel better. And it did. Wash your car perhaps . I guess small goals was the theme there. I am not a psychologist. I'm just a dad and I have helped my kids with my experiences at times. We all need encouraging sometime.

John Who, Nugett, Tredz and 2 others like this.
  22. Headless

Headless Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Back on meds after a four year break. Anxiety's hitting a new level. Feeling pretty worthless. There's something about Christmas/the new year that gets me every time.

23. boondy

boondy I pity the fool

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Yes
    Hello . You are not worthless tho . Christmas is all make believe that isnt real , I dont pay any attention at all to it or New Year stuff .

Headless likes this.
  24. Glacier

Glacier Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Hey mate
    Chat here anytime
    You are not worthless at all

sammm, Daniel1812, Nugett and 2 others like this.
  25. mxett

mxett Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Just another corner in life's journey. You can get through this and even come out stronger on the other side. What do you think has peaked your anxiety?

boondy likes this.