Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They don't listen at all mate

They only listen when it their problems, so it becomes your problem. Then ignore you cause your too negative and respond with statements I wasn’t using you. Was around an area where I was around a certain place. The emotional irrational part wanted to round up her lawn, the logical rational part made me to decide that would not have been a great idea. They complain that we are not emotional, then they complain that we are too emotional. Prefer the unemotional side, that way you can see objectively and start no longer giving a s**t about their needs and wants, and no longer put your self in a position to be used. Sorry gone off tangent! * it might grab the round up after all!

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I'm losing faith in my shrink big time. Not really feeling any benefit after 7 sessions.

Anyhow, earlier today she was advocating Traditional Chinese Medicine and Homeopathy.

Has anybody had any experience with either of these? I've always considered Homeopathy to be utter crap but I must keep an open mind - drowning men clutch at straws.

As a man of science I’ll say that if you believe in that sort of thing you’ll probably get a strong placebo effect out of it.
Any “real” benefits that might be gained from complementary therapies are going to have more to do with improved general health rather than targeting the depression directly (this scenario also explains why vegans/vegetarians are often healthier than the general population; nothing to do with not eating meat, but rather that they’re more health conscious in general).

I'm losing faith in my shrink big time. Not really feeling any benefit after 7 sessions.

Anyhow, earlier today she was advocating Traditional Chinese Medicine and Homeopathy.

Has anybody had any experience with either of these? I've always considered Homeopathy to be utter crap but I must keep an open mind - drowning men clutch at straws.

I would suggest finding a counsellor you ‘click’ with . Do you feel that going to these sessions are a drag and aren’t helping? Do you enjoy talking to your psych or do you find them annoying? I’ve gone to many psychs over the years & you might have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince.

I’m ambivalent about Chinese medicine but homeopathy is a crock of s**t. Google it.

Don’t write off the whole psych profession based on one bad experience

I am writing to you from the short stay mental health unit of a public hospital. I have just been diagnosed with bi-polar , a diagnosis I have resisted for most of my life but one I must reluctantly accept.

Last spring, I experienced an intense mood elevation culminating in me becoming a massive pain in the arse & running for the board of the Western Bulldogs ( https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/a-favour-to-ask.1183726/ )

Then everything crashed and I’ve quickly suffered terrible mental confusion and suicidal ideation. I don’t think I’m depressed in the usual sense, as I’ve suffered depression before & this is different . I’m just in tremendous anguish. I think about suicide all the time to the point where I can’t bear it any more.

Thankfully I’ve been talking about it with my wife & she took me to emergency last evening. They took me into the unit for 72 hours. I’ve got my own room & there’s only one other patient here.

I now have to make the choice as to which mood stabiliser I take - they recommend lithium or lamotrogine. The psychiatrist recommends lithium as he says it works best, the only reason patients don’t like it is because of monthly blood tests .

Interestingly, the reason he diagnosed bi-polar was not just because of my recent manic episode. I described a bout of depression that took hold of me out of the blue when I was 17 years old, it came out of nowhere and hovered over me for months. I used to spend evenings walking and walking by myself feeling down until one day it suddenly lifted and I felt happy. Apparently a biological onset of depression, ie one with no obvious trigger, when you’re young is a clear symptom of bi polar. I never could work out why that had happened

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I am writing to you from the short stay mental health unit of a public hospital. I have just been diagnosed with bi-polar , a diagnosis I have resisted for most of my life but one I must reluctantly accept.

Last spring, I experienced an intense mood elevation culminating in me becoming a massive pain in the arse & running for the board of the Western Bulldogs ( https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/a-favour-to-ask.1183726/ )

Then everything crashed and I’ve quickly suffered terrible mental confusion and suicidal ideation. I don’t think I’m depressed in the usual sense, as I’ve suffered depression before & this is different . I’m just in tremendous anguish. I think about suicide all the time to the point where I can’t bear it any more.

Thankfully I’ve been talking about it with my wife & she took me to emergency last evening. They took me into the unit for 72 hours. I’ve got my own room & there’s only one other patient here.

I now have to make the choice as to which mood stabiliser I take - they recommend lithium or lamotrogine. The psychiatrist recommends lithium as he says it works best, the only reason patients don’t like it is because of monthly blood tests .

Interestingly, the reason he diagnosed bi-polar was not just because of my recent manic episode. I described a bout of depression that took hold of me out of the blue when I was 17 years old, it came out of nowhere and hovered over me for months. I used to spend evenings walking and walking by myself feeling down until one day it suddenly lifted and I felt happy. Apparently a biological onset of depression, ie one with no obvious trigger, when you’re young is a clear symptom of bi polar. I never could work out why that had happened

I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time mate. That sounds like a truly difficult situation to deal with. I'm really glad your partner and you have been able to seek help and it sounds like you're tracking in the right direction.

Just wanted to share a couple of things.

Firstly, I'm studying psychology currently and coincidentally during a tutorial about bipolar disorder 2 days ago, we discussed and played around with a site that has been set up for people just like you who are dealing with being diagnosed with this disorder. You have to register for it but I really think it could help you seek more information to make the best decisions you can for yourself. Of course discuss any decisions with your doctor but this could give you some answers - https://bipolardecisionaid.com.au

I'd really encourage you to give it a go as it helps explain side effects of those two medications you mentioned and plenty of other things.

And secondly, if ever you feel in crisis or want someone to talk to please call Lifeline. Suicidal ideation can be so traumatic to deal with but just know that you aren't alone even at your lowest. 131114.

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
As a man of science I’ll say that if you believe in that sort of thing you’ll probably get a strong placebo effect out of it.
Any “real” benefits that might be gained from complementary therapies are going to have more to do with improved general health rather than targeting the depression directly (this scenario also explains why vegans/vegetarians are often healthier than the general population; nothing to do with not eating meat, but rather that they’re more health conscious in general).

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've always believed that acupuncture and homeopathy to be no more effective than placebo. And if I approach these practises with a similar mindset I doubt I'll receive any benefit.

But here's the catch - I'm desperate.

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I would suggest finding a counsellor you ‘click’ with . Do you feel that going to these sessions are a drag and aren’t helping? Do you enjoy talking to your psych or do you find them annoying? I’ve gone to many psychs over the years & you might have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince.

I’m ambivalent about Chinese medicine but homeopathy is a crock of s**t. Google it.

Don’t write off the whole psych profession based on one bad experience

I wouldn't say they're a drag but they certainly aren't helping.

I've tried a few psychs and haven't received an ounce of benefit from any of them. I'm not sure why but I've always believed that 'talking to someone' isn't going to help. So far it hasn't.

As for the alternative stuff, I never ever would have thought I'd be even talking about f**king homeopathy but a drowning man will clutch at straws.

floodbuster

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
Too close to the sun
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Southampton fc
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've always believed that acupuncture and homeopathy to be no more effective than placebo. And if I approach these practises with a similar mindset I doubt I'll receive any benefit.

I can only suggest looking around at different one's as some are better than others, I've talked to a couple at different stages in life and one was unbelievably good, unfortunately she's retired.

I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time mate. That sounds like a truly difficult situation to deal with. I'm really glad your partner and you have been able to seek help and it sounds like you're tracking in the right direction.

Just wanted to share a couple of things.

Firstly, I'm studying psychology currently and coincidentally during a tutorial about bipolar disorder 2 days ago, we discussed and played around with a site that has been set up for people just like you who are dealing with being diagnosed with this disorder. You have to register for it but I really think it could help you seek more information to make the best decisions you can for yourself. Of course discuss any decisions with your doctor but this could give you some answers - https://bipolardecisionaid.com.au

I'd really encourage you to give it a go as it helps explain side effects of those two medications you mentioned and plenty of other things.

And secondly, if ever you feel in crisis or want someone to talk to please call Lifeline. Suicidal ideation can be so traumatic to deal with but just know that you aren't alone even at your lowest. 131114.

I’ve tried to log in to the website but I need a code and I don’t know how to get one!

Matt Stevic

Privileged White Cis Male Scumbag
Oct 29, 2012
Maryborough VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Arsenal, The Exers
To be honest, piss off anyone who isn't doing you good in your life or who tries to manipulate you, or won't compromise.

50/50 or **** em off. Never ever take s**t from anybody. On the same token do not give s**t to anybody.
Awesome advice.

I’ll follow it up with: become self employed if you can. If your current career doesn’t easily allow you to work for yourself, switch careers.

Matt Stevic

Privileged White Cis Male Scumbag
Oct 29, 2012
Maryborough VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Arsenal, The Exers

It’s utter crap. Not evidence based. Find a new shrink that crap doesn’t have any place in medicine and science

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

not all psychologists or psychotherapies are for everyone. Maybe it's time to try someone else with a different tact

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Had a s**t couple of days
My narcissistic ex still has that hold
I stand up to her and fire back when it's too much and then get called an abuser
Then I get all upset and an emotional wreck and around we go again
She still has that hold and I still let her
I'm so frightened of her that I feel sometimes that power she has over me will be forever
stand still for a second and have a look around. I'm sure you're in a far better place than you were some time ago when you were at your worst. Dont lose sight of your improvement

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
not all psychologists or psychotherapies are for everyone. Maybe it's time to try someone else with a different tact

I'm hearin' ya but I've tried a few psychs. Not one bit of benefit from any of them. I've always known that 'talking to someone' won't help. But tried it anyway in case I've been mistaken.

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
has anything helped? What else have you tried other than our discussions on diet?

• Different meds
  • Different shrinks
  • CBT
  • Changes in lifestyle (weight training, cardio)
  • Naturopathy (yeah, I know)
  • Hypnotherapy (yeah, I know)
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
All that on top of our discussion on diets, of which I've tried a few. I don't believe in fate, but it seems as if this is simply my lot in life. Started a course of acupuncture (again, yeah I know) yesterday. Not expecting much but maybe it's worth a shot.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
  • Different meds
  • Different shrinks
  • CBT
All that on top of our discussion on diets, of which I've tried a few. I don't believe in fate, but it seems as if this is simply my lot in life. Started a course of acupuncture (again, yeah I know) yesterday. Not expecting much but maybe it's worth a shot.
ACT? Mindfulness?

goindeep

Draftee
Apr 14, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
G'day all new here. I went off coffee and alcohol and my anxiety subsided massively, by about 90% i'd say. I still have a few drinks on the weekend but thats all. Coffee messes with your adrenal glands which sets off your adrenaline and can kick of anxiety and grog messes with your happy chemicals, and both together mess with your sleep which effects other things. Its a small change but consider it, costs you nothing. My 2 cents.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
  • Different meds
  • Different shrinks
  • CBT
The other suggestion I can think of for you, is to do a general health check. There might be underlying medical problems that can mimic mental health conditions eg. thyroid problems, diabetes.
Also mental health problems are partly contributed by your environmental stressors, as well as your perception and handling to these stressors. You need to be able to figure out for yourself how and what changes need to occur to help make your life feel easier. Psychologists and counselors are means for you to help figure out your best plan moving forward.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
homeopathy is a crock of s**t. Google it.

Yeah, imagine a medicine where the less of an active ingredient there is in a solution water, the more powerful it is... It's completely mental. Pseudoscience. Anybody who believes in this crap hasn't got a rational or scientific bone in their body. Any psychologist who recommends homeopathy is a clueless moron who is concealing their inability to help their patient by referring them off to a mystical faith healer. I actually think any registered mental health practitioner should be reported for even suggesting it. I used to teach music to a woman who sold this crap - she tried to convince me that her special bottles of water had no actual ingredients in them besides water, but that this water was holding itself in a crystal formation that acted on the body. Never mind that crystals are a highly organised solid and water is a liquid incapable of adopting that form... It was all I could do to not say, "get the F out of here!". Weapons grade bull s**t.

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, imagine a medicine where the less of an active ingredient there is in a solution water, the more powerful it is... It's completely mental. Pseudoscience. Anybody who believes in this crap hasn't got a rational or scientific bone in their body. Any psychologist who recommends homeopathy is a clueless moron who is concealing their inability to help their patient by referring them off to a mystical faith healer. I actually think any registered mental health practitioner should be reported for even suggesting it. I used to teach music to a woman who sold this crap - she tried to convince me that her special bottles of water had no actual ingredients in them besides water, but that this water was holding itself in a crystal formation that acted on the body. Never mind that crystals are a highly organised solid and water is a liquid incapable of adopting that form... It was all I could do to not say, "get the F out of here!". Weapons grade bull s**t.

Can't argue with that. I won't be going back to the psych who suggested it. The mere consideration of it (which will go no further than a consideration) is an indicator of how much I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hang in there my friend, there will be a brighter day, one day.
You probably can't see that day right now but it will happen. You must believe that.
To a degree, I have been where you are (without knowing your circumstances of course and i am not trying to marginalise or equivalise your experience) and what got me through was nature.
Yes nature.
I got up, i walked around, i started looking at things. The fresh air, the sunshine, all those cliches. It worked for me.
I started getting such joy at the seemingly simplest things. An example; for the first time in many years of trying i have been able to finally grow an avocado, from a nut. I was astonished when it sprouted leaves, I actually shed a tear. Nature beguiles, intrigues and comforts me, it is my constant source of hope.
The point being that you have to beleive there is hope, there is a future, there will be a better day.
Because there will be. It doesnt have to nature, as it has been for me. It can be something else for you that moves and inspires you.
You'll find a way, your family will (hopefully) guide you there, which was another source of strength and support to me.
Go well.

Back