Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

SportsCentre

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
I've been reading this thread for well over 12 months, and seeing the wide range of help and support offered throughout.
I lost my dad on Friday night rather suddenly to a heart-related issue.

I never understood the deep impact of losing a parent until this moment.
Walking into the family home and seeing all the projects he had started that he will never get to finish shatters me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've been reading this thread for well over 12 months, and seeing the wide range of help and support offered throughout.

Walking into the family home and seeing all the projects he had started that he will never get to finish shatters me.
I really feel for you, man. That must be devastating. Feel free to post here any time you need to or feel like it. It's a great thread, and unprecedented in the sense that there have been practically no trolling antics at all. It's a safe place. My advice would be not to hold it in, whatever you're feeling. Let it out, don't be embarrassed to cry - by yourself or with others. Be with your family and people you trust to take care of you. Take some time off if you need to. Take care, mate.

Bush_Chook

Debutant
Oct 30, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hey mate, there probably isn't much I can say that will remove the burden of such a loss. Life has a habit of hitting us like a truck when we least expect it. Take the time to grief and reflect on his life and his legacy that lives on through you and your family members.

There's a good anecdote someone told me whilst we had coffee when I went through something similar (death of someone close to me), I think it comes from Bhuddist teachings and is referring to one of my favourite mugs I happened to be drinking out of: it's certain that it will break at some point in the future or become damaged whether that be in the next few minutes or 10 years down the track. Whilst it's sad that this will happen we should find comfort and peace in the fact that I managed to find some joy and happiness with said item even if that happiness was temporary.

Time will heal all wounds even if it doesn't seem like it

If you need a chat sling me a message,
Chookie.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Condolences mate! Wish you all the best to get through this rough period. Whatever mixed emotions you may have, just know these are natural human responses!

Shane Heard

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Sudden unexpected grief is a huge shock to the nervous system on a grand scale. Completely different situation to stress or anxiety..but just as emotionally felt.

Give yourself time to feel the impact of it all. And understand that there is no time limit on how long it will last.

Could be months..could be years.

But whatever you’re feeling ...no matter how bad it feels...it’s all ok to grieve a profound loss of a loved one.

Whatever you do though, avoid the temptation to use excessive alcohol or drug use as a numbing solution.

Shane Heard

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
If you’re struggling to understand why you constantly suffer from stress, anxiety or any kind of overwhelming fear of situations in your life, I urge you to get on YouTube and watch the many wonderful talks by the great Dr Bruce Lipton.

Educating yourself about the basic biological reasons why we all do what we do as humans in this complex modern world, will go along way in getting yourself back on track to good stable mental health.

We are all human..all the same...and really not that different from our animal friends when it comes to dealing with stressful moments.

Eventually accepting that we are all constantly effected by stress and anxiety in different ways, goes along way in getting on top of it all.
Start with the belief that you can lead a good healthy life if you just give yourself time to listen to the experts who study this stuff at a basic biological and neurological level.

The best thing about Lipton is that he explains it all in an easy to understand way and gets straight to the heart of what makes us tick.

Last edited:

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

So sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in February after a surprisingly quick battle with Alzheimer's. It wasnt sudden which I suppose is good, but watching him slowly disappear as a person over the length of a year was horrible.

Makes you appreciate the things we have in life, and those we love who are still with us. Gratitude for what we have is a hugely important part of mental health I believe. It really helps to meditate and be thankful for the things we still have, and to try and balance that with mourning the things we've lost.

All the best

Twist_of_Lemon

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully this study leads to a new, more effective, treatment direction.
Fingers crossed. Medical science at its core blows my mind. The strides that have been made from the early days of psychiatry to today in such a relatively short period of time is incredible.

The people involved can never get enough credit for their work. Heinz Lehmann's story is a great one for anyone who enjoys learning about the trials and tribulations of trying to find better methods to help people back in the earlier days of psychiatry. My dad is schizophrenic, thus while he had to endure some awful drugs along the way starting in the 60's, with the worst being trifluoperazine, he also benefited in the end when they found the right medication for him, that being clozapine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Heard

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Harsh but true...the first 4mins is brutal advice from a professional who’s sat in front of hundreds of people suffering from depression. It’s just the way the human condition is...there’s no way to sugar coat it.

Hope it helps someone who’s trying to cut through the bulls**t and identify what the main problems are in their life...

Top Bottom