Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2021
East of the Sun, West of the Moon
AFL Club
Fremantle
Damn. Reading your stories makes me feel like I'm not alone & the struggle in my head is real. Life isn't easy for everybody.

Anxiety is a funny 1 that seems to sneak up on me in little waves. Then the tsunami hits & i feel completely overwhelmed & depressed as sh*t.

Anyway. Life is not here to be spent alone. Grateful for your stories.
They are very inspiring & if anybody would like to reach out I am up for a chat.
Tomorrow is a new day .
Love to you all.
You sound a bit like me, I have certain triggers. I can be fine but if something happens that I don't like I immediately go into anxiety mode, I'll have a panic attack if I don't get out of the situation.

I avoid the triggers to avoid the anxiety but then you can't live a full life, which makes me depressed. For me, it's the things I can't do because of my anxiety disorders that make me depressed. I am being treated for both.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
You sound a bit like me, I have certain triggers. I can be fine but if something happens that I don't like I immediately go into anxiety mode, I'll have a panic attack if I don't get out of the situation.

I avoid the triggers to avoid the anxiety but then you can't live a full life, which makes me depressed. For me, it's the things I can't do because of my anxiety disorders that make me depressed. I am being treated for both.
One alternative approach I have seen and practiced myself is to wilfully head towards situations which cause you anxiety. Regular exposure can reassure your mind that the situation is actually non threatening, lessening the anxious response.

Depending on the severity this may need to be managed by a qualified care giver.

An example could be someone with social anxiety who deliberately makes an effort to speak in public or meet new people. While it may not cure social anxiety it can help manage it so it doesn't dominate your life. Avoiding these scenarios helps in the short term but can also make the problem worse over time.

Shane Heard

Premiership Player
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
One alternative approach I have seen and practiced myself is to wilfully head towards situations which cause you anxiety. Regular exposure can reassure your mind that the situation is actually non threatening, lessening the anxious response.

Depending on the severity this may need to be managed by a qualified care giver.

An example could be someone with social anxiety who deliberately makes an effort to speak in public or meet new people. While it may not cure social anxiety it can help manage it so it doesn't dominate your life. Avoiding these scenarios helps in the short term but can also make the problem worse over time.
Toastmasters is a good thing for that 👌

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ve applied a strategy this year that seems to help me maintain my stress levels. The strategy is basically me accepting and embracing “change”. So instead of something new happening which previously I would see it as a nuisance, I accept it and think “I embrace this change”.

For days where it seems the usual typical, I actively do something that’s different from my norm. Examples:
- jogging around the block at 7pm (I’ve never jogged outside in the dark before).
- having a cold shower during April (have had cold showers before but usually only during hot summer days).

I must emphasise this strategy isn’t likely to work on severe mental illnesses, but might help with general stress.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ve applied a strategy this year that seems to help me maintain my stress levels. The strategy is basically me accepting and embracing “change”. So instead of something new happening which previously I would see it as a nuisance, I accept it and think “I embrace this change”.

For days where it seems the usual typical, I actively do something that’s different from my norm. Examples:
- jogging around the block at 7pm (I’ve never jogged outside in the dark before).
- having a cold shower during April (have had cold showers before but usually only during hot summer days).

I must emphasise this strategy isn’t likely to work on severe mental illnesses, but might help with general stress.
excellent JW. Acceptance is HUGE. It doesnt mean settling for poor circumstances or unhappiness. To me it means being OK with how you feel and where you are. It means being able to find peace and calm in yourself when things aren't the way you'd like. For me mindfulness plays a big part in this

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
excellent JW. Acceptance is HUGE. It doesnt mean settling for poor circumstances or unhappiness. To me it means being OK with how you feel and where you are. It means being able to find peace and calm in yourself when things aren't the way you'd like. For me mindfulness plays a big part in this
Yep, we need to accept that these are the cards we're dealt with in life and it's then about how to play these cards. I read a blog recently which sort of ties things together - to learn to accept that "life isn't fair".

Once we can accept that life isn't all an even playing field, it's more easier to focus on "what to do?" rather than "who do I blame?"

Remove this Banner Ad