Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s a sad loss. Sometimes it’s the people you don’t suspect, that are suffering. Robin Williams was another tragic suicide that you wouldn’t suspect. It’s hard to know why they do it, because on the outside they appear to be bright, bubbly and full of light. It’s also the questions that they leave behind which is what makes it so difficult to comprehend. If they shared more of what they were feeling with family and loved ones would they still be alive?

Sadness is understandable in these situations, as is confusion, as to why they were so desperate to escape from their lives.
Regarding Robin Williams, I think I’ve watched a documentary somewhere saying that he was suffering from a neurodegenerative condition, meaning his brain was degenerating at a faster than typical age-related rate. I don’t claim to understand suicide, but hopefully that gives some insight to why Williams had done so.

Regarding depression or anxiety in general, the worst part of it is that it’s often an internal illness where people from the outside looking in, will have no clue in how bad the condition is. The only way is for communication about the symptoms, and ideally communication with trained mental health professionals.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Regarding Robin Williams, I think I’ve watched a documentary somewhere saying that he was suffering from a neurodegenerative condition, meaning his brain was degenerating at a faster than typical age-related rate. I don’t claim to understand suicide, but hopefully that gives some insight to why Williams had done so.

Regarding depression or anxiety in general, the worst part of it is that it’s often an internal illness where people from the outside looking in, will have no clue in how bad the condition is. The only way is for communication about the symptoms, and ideally communication with trained mental health professionals.

Communication is very important, even more so now with social media taking over our lives.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
One of my best mates took his own life just over a week ago , I spoke to him face to face and over the phone just days before it and I didn’t pick up on anything unusual.

I really hope people that need to talk just talk up. I wish he did.

Speak up
Damn, sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you're ok.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
One of my best mates took his own life just over a week ago , I spoke to him face to face and over the phone just days before it and I didn’t pick up on anything unusual.

Speak up
Oh s**t that's terrible, hope youre ok.

I know speaking to someone was the last thing i felt like doing in times I struggled the most because i felt so alone. But i also know those times often passed very quickly and my suffering was only temporary.

Even if it just gets you through the night, or the day, or the week, please ask for help. If someone knows your struggle it can make all the difference

Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Speak up

I am really sorry for you and your mate. He must have been in terrible pain.
Sending my best wishes to people who are struggling right now - I hope they turn around quick.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I work in mental health and i just found out a former colleague has taken his own life. He used to help me when i volunteered a few years back then i got a job and he left to another organisation in town. So from time to time i would still bump into him as we often work with many organisations in town including his. I last saw him a couple of weeks ago in my work place and he seemed his normal self on the outside. I am sad for him and his family. Please ask your mates from time to time if they are ok as that can be the difference between life and death. I am not saying it will help everyone but it can make a big difference including for me personally who battles depression most of my life. That's the message i wanted to get across to people. Thanks for reading.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
I work in mental health and i just found out a former colleague has taken his own life. He used to help me when i volunteered a few years back then i got a job and he left to another organisation in town. So from time to time i would still bump into him as we often work with many organisations in town including his. I last saw him a couple of weeks ago in my work place and he seemed his normal self on the outside. I am sad for him and his family. Please ask your mates from time to time if they are ok as that can be the difference between life and death. I am not saying it will help everyone but it can make a big difference including for me personally who battles depression most of my life. That's the message i wanted to get across to people. Thanks for reading.

I see you're a Port Adelaide fan. Does this town start with a W by any chance? Just found out a family friend who also worked in mental health took his own life Friday night. It'll hit that town pretty hard.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Speak up
Hope you're doing ok yourself. Suicide not only impacts on the person involved, but to their immediate family and close friends. Often we go through the typical stages of grief but the shock may linger more than we would like to admit.

I've had a close friend pass away from terminal cancer, and it was a shock because he seemed fine 2-3 months prior to his death, but then those last 2-3 months he declined at a rapid rate and was incurabe when the diagnosis was found. Goes to show you can never take life for granted.

Beyond Blue - 1300 22 4636

Lifeline - 13 11 14

More than 3 million Australians suffer from depression and anxiety. We here at Bigfooty would like to strongly urge people in this situation to seek the assistance of friends, family or the dedicated staff at several organisations who are more than willing to listen.

You can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

If you would like more information please visit www.beyondblue.org.au or www.lifeline.org.au.

Theres an apropriate discussion thread on the subject here or If you'd like to know more, below is an interview that 76woodenspooners did with Beyond Blue back in 2013.

Mental Health resources: (Thanks Proper Gander)

Beyond Blue – call 1 300 22 4636

OR use this form to make contact by email at https://online.beyondblue.org.au/WebModules/Email/InitialInformation.aspx

AND for general information about Beyond Blue, depression, anxiety and related issues go to the Beyond Blue website at https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

Lifeline – call 13 11 14

OR use the online chat service at https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/online-services/crisis-chat (between the hours of 7PM and 4AM EST)

AND for general information about Lifeline, and tools and resources for managing stress, depression anxiety and related issues go to the Lifeline website at https://www.lifeline.org.au/

Kids Helpline

Phone: 1800 55 1800
Email: counsellor@kidshelpline.com.au
Web chat: https://kidshelpline.com.au/teens/get-help/webchat-counselling/

Other telephone resources to consider are:

Suicide call Back Service – 1 300 659 467 and

Mensline Australia – 1 300 789 978

Further:

Another useful resource to explore is mindhealthconnect – which is an Australian Government supported information and support network which can help guide you to the specific resources, information and assistance for your needs.

Find mindhealthconnect at http://www.mindhealthconnect.org.au/

EMERGENCY / CRISIS CONTACTS by State and Territory

These numbers above are important for anybody who is experiencing a mental health crisis or caring for someone experiencing a mental health crisis. This could include the emergence, or flare-up, of a psychotic episode, or risk of self-harm, or suicidal feelings or loss of control.

The State or Territory crisis line will provide expert support, and help work out with you what services can best help. This could be your own doctor, or if required presenting at a community health service or a hospital emergency department. In some cases, a Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (CATT Team) may be sent to wherever you or the affected person is located at the time.

YOU CAN ALSO ACCESS EMERGENCY SUPPORT FOR A MENTAL HEALTH EPISODE BY CALLING 000 AT ANY TIME

ALCOHOL and DRUG Addition

There are numerous support services and networks available. The best place to go as a first stop is the Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) at http://www.adin.com.au/

Amongst other things, ADIN has a large support services directory where you can search for help and support for particular issues by location.

If you would like to talk to someone at once, contact Counselling ONLINE – an Australian Government funded program operated by Turning Point. Amongst other things, Counselling ONLINE offers online one on one counselling as well as forum discussion and assistance. The website can be found at https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/

OR BY PHONE…

If your preference is to speak to someone by phone, you can contact a 24 hour Alcohol and Drug information services in your state:

ACT (02) 6207 9977

NSW 1800 422 599 (regional) or (02) 9361 8000 (metropolitan)

NT 1800 131 350

QLD 1800 177 833 (regional) or (07) 3837 5989 (metropolitan)

SA 1300 131 340

TAS 1800 811 994

VIC 1800 888 236

WA 1800 198 024 (regional) or (08) 9442 5000 (metropolitan)

GAMBLING SUPPORT

There are numerous support services and networks available specific to issues related to gambling. The best starting point online is Gambling Help Online at https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/ which provides information, online support and assistance.

To speak to someone about gambling issues, call 1800 858 858

All of the above resources are free and confidential

Good on you The_Wookie and BF for this thread and the people in here who have offered support for others. :rainbow:

For those who are sruggling, I feel for you and hope you keep fighting and win :thumbsu:

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Anxiety isn’t all bad. Sometimes it’s a life-saver. It’s an evolutionary trait meant to protect us from marauding animals and other dangers. In a normal measure, anxiety is an alarm system (marauding beasts) and a motivator, the push needed to finish a project on time or meet a deadline (what I experienced writing this article). But when anxiety exceeds its benign function as a temporary motivator, when it overflows its banks, flooding the mind with toxic thoughts and poisonous worries and monkeying with the body’s stress hormones, havoc ensues. Thousands of years ago, the Buddha described the chaos and havoc of the monkey mind, a state where unruly monkeys—thoughts and fears– collided into each other creating stress and anxiety.

Read more ...

https://www.psycom.net/living-with-anxiety/

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
How often do you feel lonely? If you’d say that you experience loneliness sometimes or even always, you are not alone. According to a new survey of 20,000 Americans sponsored by The Cigna Health Insurance Company, loneliness is at epidemic proportions.1 And if you suffer from mental illness, odds are that feeling lonely and disconnected from others is a factor in your depression and/or anxiety. But how can you feel disconnected from others when you are constantly able to be connected through social media? The answer is complicated.

Read more..

https://www.psycom.net/mental-healt...lbeing-how-social-media-increases-loneliness/

Hope you're doing ok yourself. Suicide not only impacts on the person involved, but to their immediate family and close friends. Often we go through the typical stages of grief but the shock may linger more than we would like to admit.

I've had a close friend pass away from terminal cancer, and it was a shock because he seemed fine 2-3 months prior to his death, but then those last 2-3 months he declined at a rapid rate and was incurabe when the diagnosis was found. Goes to show you can never take life for granted.
Your spot on mate

Cheers

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Jordan Peterson gets a bad rap from a huge amount of people but his stuff about improving your life and fighting your inner demons is spot on. Here's a video on the importance of having a burden to bear. Life at the end of the day involves suffering, feeling sorry for ourselves doesn't improve things it only makes it worse. Accepting the negatives in our life and bearing the load (AKA extreme ownership) is the path to a greater sense of self and an ability to truly accept and overcome adversity and suffering.

He is no dummy
He says things 2 get a response
Jordan is a troll worth listen 2 eh

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think I've been depressed for at least two decades. Never been to a doc about it. I'm one of those that doesn't know how to go about helping myself even though it's right in front of me
I think the fact you’ve posted here is enough to give you the stimulus to make a start on it. Book an appointment with a GP you trust and get a referral to a counsellor. It makes a pretty big difference knowing there are people out there willing to help and to talk to. You get a very different perspective on it when you open up.

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
I've been reading this thread for well over 12 months, and seeing the wide range of help and support offered throughout.
I lost my dad on Friday night rather suddenly to a heart-related issue.

I never understood the deep impact of losing a parent until this moment.
Walking into the family home and seeing all the projects he had started that he will never get to finish shatters me.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've been reading this thread for well over 12 months, and seeing the wide range of help and support offered throughout.

Walking into the family home and seeing all the projects he had started that he will never get to finish shatters me.
I really feel for you, man. That must be devastating. Feel free to post here any time you need to or feel like it. It's a great thread, and unprecedented in the sense that there have been practically no trolling antics at all. It's a safe place. My advice would be not to hold it in, whatever you're feeling. Let it out, don't be embarrassed to cry - by yourself or with others. Be with your family and people you trust to take care of you. Take some time off if you need to. Take care, mate.

Bush_Chook

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor A Star Wars Fan
Oct 30, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hey mate, there probably isn't much I can say that will remove the burden of such a loss. Life has a habit of hitting us like a truck when we least expect it. Take the time to grief and reflect on his life and his legacy that lives on through you and your family members.

There's a good anecdote someone told me whilst we had coffee when I went through something similar (death of someone close to me), I think it comes from Bhuddist teachings and is referring to one of my favourite mugs I happened to be drinking out of: it's certain that it will break at some point in the future or become damaged whether that be in the next few minutes or 10 years down the track. Whilst it's sad that this will happen we should find comfort and peace in the fact that I managed to find some joy and happiness with said item even if that happiness was temporary.

Time will heal all wounds even if it doesn't seem like it

If you need a chat sling me a message,
Chookie.

Back