Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been reading this thread for well over 12 months, and seeing the wide range of help and support offered throughout.
I lost my dad on Friday night rather suddenly to a heart-related issue.

I never understood the deep impact of losing a parent until this moment.
Walking into the family home and seeing all the projects he had started that he will never get to finish shatters me.
Condolences mate! Wish you all the best to get through this rough period. Whatever mixed emotions you may have, just know these are natural human responses!

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been reading this thread for well over 12 months, and seeing the wide range of help and support offered throughout.

Walking into the family home and seeing all the projects he had started that he will never get to finish shatters me.

Sudden unexpected grief is a huge shock to the nervous system on a grand scale. Completely different situation to stress or anxiety..but just as emotionally felt.

Give yourself time to feel the impact of it all. And understand that there is no time limit on how long it will last.

Could be months..could be years.

But whatever you’re feeling ...no matter how bad it feels...it’s all ok to grieve a profound loss of a loved one.

Whatever you do though, avoid the temptation to use excessive alcohol or drug use as a numbing solution.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
If you’re struggling to understand why you constantly suffer from stress, anxiety or any kind of overwhelming fear of situations in your life, I urge you to get on YouTube and watch the many wonderful talks by the great Dr Bruce Lipton.

Educating yourself about the basic biological reasons why we all do what we do as humans in this complex modern world, will go along way in getting yourself back on track to good stable mental health.

We are all human..all the same...and really not that different from our animal friends when it comes to dealing with stressful moments.

Eventually accepting that we are all constantly effected by stress and anxiety in different ways, goes along way in getting on top of it all.
Start with the belief that you can lead a good healthy life if you just give yourself time to listen to the experts who study this stuff at a basic biological and neurological level.

The best thing about Lipton is that he explains it all in an easy to understand way and gets straight to the heart of what makes us tick.

Last edited:

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

So sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in February after a surprisingly quick battle with Alzheimer's. It wasnt sudden which I suppose is good, but watching him slowly disappear as a person over the length of a year was horrible.

Makes you appreciate the things we have in life, and those we love who are still with us. Gratitude for what we have is a hugely important part of mental health I believe. It really helps to meditate and be thankful for the things we still have, and to try and balance that with mourning the things we've lost.

All the best

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Sep 6, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hopefully this study leads to a new, more effective, treatment direction.

Fingers crossed. Medical science at its core blows my mind. The strides that have been made from the early days of psychiatry to today in such a relatively short period of time is incredible.

The people involved can never get enough credit for their work. Heinz Lehmann's story is a great one for anyone who enjoys learning about the trials and tribulations of trying to find better methods to help people back in the earlier days of psychiatry. My dad is schizophrenic, thus while he had to endure some awful drugs along the way starting in the 60's, with the worst being trifluoperazine, he also benefited in the end when they found the right medication for him, that being clozapine.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Harsh but true...the first 4mins is brutal advice from a professional who’s sat in front of hundreds of people suffering from depression. It’s just the way the human condition is...there’s no way to sugar coat it.

Hope it helps someone who’s trying to cut through the bullshit and identify what the main problems are in their life...

Today we lay to rest a friend of mine from high school / University who sadly took his own life. Was married last year and had his first kid on the way in November.

On the surface he seemed like the typical happy go lucky person, but underneath even his closest friends didn't know the battles he was going through and only his family knew what was going on. His mates are still struggling to come to terms with his loss and wondering what they could have done if he had only spoken up.

If you are in a bad place please speak to someone, your loss will be felt greatly by those you leave behind who love and care for you. There is no shame or judgement, only help and understanding.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
So much valuable advice here..it might take a few views to take in all the information but it’s worth it folks.

Think of how lucky we are in this internet world these days where we have free access to so many professionals who study anxiety and depression and talk about what they know from years of experience in the field.

Dr Jordan Peterson: How he treats anxiety.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Unfortunately it seems a young lad (16 y/old) from Emerald FC took his own life some time on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Remember that if your struggling there is always someone that can and will help.
Or that if you’re worried about someone don’t be afraid to skip the BS and flat out ask them if they’re contemplating suicide.

Last edited:

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think the fact you’ve posted here is enough to give you the stimulus to make a start on it. Book an appointment with a GP you trust and get a referral to a counsellor. It makes a pretty big difference knowing there are people out there willing to help and to talk to. You get a very different perspective on it when you open up.
u serious ?

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Danny Frawley's passing has created some angst in his thread regarding people open in discussing self harm versus respecting his memory

it's a tough one - I posted this in the thread originally but maybe here is better?

I can see both sides to the not reporting the 'whole story' aspect versus being open and honest about it all - I think there is definitely a balance between both that can be reached and people grieve differently

For the most part I would have been closer on the 'let's talk about it' aspect of it, until only a week before Majak's incident, my brother had to pull his mate off the train tracks when he got there too late

When the Majak incident broke, and it was all through the media, my brother was pretty ropable about it all, and he was saying that if it was his mate's incident all on the news, that it would '* him up even more' if it kept being put in his face

Time and place, I guess

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Danny Frawley's passing has created some angst in his thread regarding people open in discussing self harm versus respecting his memory

it's a tough one - I posted this in the thread originally but maybe here is better?

I can see both sides to the not reporting the 'whole story' aspect versus being open and honest about it all - I think there is definitely a balance between both that can be reached and people grieve differently

For the most part I would have been closer on the 'let's talk about it' aspect of it, until only a week before Majak's incident, my brother had to pull his mate off the train tracks when he got there too late

When the Majak incident broke, and it was all through the media, my brother was pretty ropable about it all, and he was saying that if it was his mate's incident all on the news, that it would 'fu** him up even more' if it kept being put in his face

Time and place, I guess

It’s a tough one for sure, and tbh I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer.
My own opinion is that talking about it has the greatest effect in the time immediately following the incident (and I think this extends beyond suicide to family violence, drink driving, terrorism etc etc), but I can understand that it is an invasion of privacy for those involved and may make it harder for them to move on/recover.

In response to your opening line; I believe it is still possible to respect his memory and discuss the topic of depression/suicide.

Hope you are doing well

Your parents are always your parents and losing them has a bigger impact than you would have thought it would

My Dad passed away over 10 years now, yet the instant reaction I had to hearing that Polly Farmer had died is that I should tell Dad.

The death of Danny Frawley really affected me, just empathising with the situation it’s stirred me up alittle.
Just wanted to throw this down while I’m trying to think my way through how I’m feeling.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I still have symptoms of post traumatic shock. I’m so annoyed because I thought I was over it and I was even a bit proud of myself for recovering after being caught up in an horrific event a few years back.

This morning I was on a train packed to sardines that slowed to a crawl, took 20 minutes to get half a kilometre, then stopped dead in a tunnel in the city circle. No announcement about why it stopped. The thing didn’t move for 15 minutes. My heart rate was at something crazy and I was sweating like crazy. Then all the lights went out. I honestly thought I was dying for a bit there.

Of course I was safe and nothing happened but the adrenaline in my body doesn’t seem to listen to reason. Im so so pissed off to find I can’t shake this. Im also so exhausted after a day of feeling freaked out but I still struggle getting to sleep because my mind is racing again. I wish my moods could be stable. Im so freaking tired.

Back