Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, depressing first post, but I have found this site has the most people I can relate to.

I have been under psychiatric care for around 18 years. Been on every med you can think of. On my third psychiatrist (third not by choice, one got very ill).

Just need people I can relate to. I love footy and cricket. Some days it just gets too much.
welcome, glad to have you here. Feel free to be honest as you want because you wont get judgment here. We know that life can get pretty overwhelming at times. There's absolutely no shame in that. Anything particularly difficult at the moment?

W
welcome, glad to have you here. Feel free to be honest as you want because you wont get judgment here. We know that life can get pretty overwhelming at times. There's absolutely no shame in that. Anything particularly difficult at the moment?

Wow, that is a quick response. Saw my psych today, who upped my dose of anti-depressants. I'm also on a massive amount of benzo's (prescribed of course), but GP's seem to panic when I tell them what I am on (psych's not more so). My parents are difficult, mainly my Dad, who has been diagnosed with dementia. I'm an basically their carer. I am looking after them as best I can but have been told it can only get worse.

W

Wow, that is a quick response. Saw my psych today, who upped my dose of anti-depressants. I'm also on a massive amount of benzo's (prescribed of course), but GP's seem to panic when I tell them what I am on (psych's not more so). My parents are difficult, mainly my Dad, who has been diagnosed with dementia. I'm an basically their carer. I am looking after them as best I can but have been told it can only get worse.
That's a full on, man. When you already have difficulty managing your mood, and then you have the responsibility of being your parents' carer - that's really an enormous load your under. I would suggest that you take full advantage of any assistance you can get to help with your parents. The time will come when you have to put your dad into care, most likely. Try to prepare yourself for that reality and don't blame yourself for when that call needs to be made.

Do you feel that your meds are appropriate? It's very important that you are convinced of your own treatment being a good fit for your needs. Are there any aspects of your treatment that you feel are falling short or missing the mark? I think you should focus on getting as close to fitting your needs as you can - and make sure none of your doctors are talking down to you or overpowering your opinion. It should be very much a mutual discussion rather than obeying authority.

W

Have you had any luck with CBT or ACT from a psychologist?

I've had a similar experience over the last few years. Lost my Dad to dementia a few years ago and have looked after my Mum's substantial health issues too. Its hard going. Do you have support from other siblings or relatives when caring for your parents?

Very sorry about your parents mxett , my Dad will need care eventually. He can still dress himself and go to the toilet, which are the main things that keep him out of a home. He's just been told he can no longer drive, thought he'd be devastated but seems ok. It's hard to tell. Have siblings but they don't help, they don't realise how bad it is. They visit for an hour or two, which is a lot different than being around full time. They just don't see it.

Thanks everyone. I have complete faith in my psychiatrist. He listens and will change meds if they aren't working. Some aren't like that and keep you on the same thing forever, even if it isn't working. Got to the stage of discussing ECT at one point.

Did try a psychologist about 10 years ago, nothing wrong with them but it just wasn't for me. Been told some people are like that.

Saw my psych today, who upped my dose of anti-depressants. I'm also on a massive amount of benzo's (prescribed of course)
Does your psych also recommend non-pharmaceutical solutions like increased exercise, sunlight, improved diet, regular bed-time, etc?

If so, have you noticed any improvements from these kinds of things?

The reason I ask is because I know that if I stop treating my mind and body well, it doesn't take too long for my mental state to deteriorate.

I suspect this is the case for most if not all people.

Does your psych also recommend non-pharmaceutical solutions like increased exercise, sunlight, improved diet, regular bed-time, etc?

If so, have you noticed any improvements from these kinds of things?

The reason I ask is because I know that if I stop treating my mind and body well, it doesn't take too long for my mental state to deteriorate.

I suspect this is the case for most if not all people.

We do go through things like diet, sleep, exercise. Now making a proper effort to improve my diet. I don't think I eat that badly, just eat too much. Overweight a little bit, need to lose a few kilos but I'm not obese or anything.

Sleep has been a nightmare for years, been on many different pills for sleep. Not much works. I had been diagnosed with "treatment resistant depression".

Exercise, none since COVID. Used to get out a bit before then. It's pretty hard to get motivated but with the cooler weather coming I will get out more. I hate the heat and can't get out when it's 30 plus.

We do go through things like diet, sleep, exercise. Now making a proper effort to improve my diet. I don't think I eat that badly, just eat too much. Overweight a little bit, need to lose a few kilos but I'm not obese or anything.

Sleep has been a nightmare for years, been on many different pills for sleep. Not much works. I had been diagnosed with "treatment resistant depression".

Exercise, none since COVID. Used to get out a bit before then. It's pretty hard to get motivated but with the cooler weather coming I will get out more. I hate the heat and can't get out when it's 30 plus.
meditation?

After 5 years and 3 different coaches/mentors I still have a eating disorder.
Starve dieting during week , 20k steps plus concreting amd training
I'm interested to understand your situation better. What sort of eating disorder do you have? I'm suspecting it's binge-eating disorder? Also interesting that you use the words "mentor" and "coach" - that suggests something slightly sub-professional. Are you sure they were the right people to help you. It also sounds like you alternate between extreme over-eating and extreme starvation? That is rarely a successful strategy, but maybe there is more to what you said?

meditation?

Never been mentioned, does it work? Maybe I'll bring it up at my next appointment. I did learn some breathing exercises that help with anxiety, you find out you are breathing too fast and slowing it down helps a lot.

The problem is when you are with a group of people and feel a panic attack coming on it's hard to say "please wait while I do my breathing exercises". You just want to get out of there as quickly as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never been mentioned, does it work? Maybe I'll bring it up at my next appointment. I did learn some breathing exercises that help with anxiety, you find out you are breathing too fast and slowing it down helps a lot.

The problem is when you are with a group of people and feel a panic attack coming on it's hard to say "please wait while I do my breathing exercises". You just want to get out of there as quickly as possible.
Look into mindfulness meditation. The technique itself is relaxing and all, but the main benefit comes in the form of a consistent increase in self awareness, resilience to discomfort, and an ability to return to the present when lost in thought or emotion.

It has been extensively researched in the last decade or so, with results showing it can be as effective as antidepressants in relieving anxiety and depression, even after only a short course of 8 weeks.

Functional MRI scans have demonstrated clear decreases in brain activity in anxiety centres of the brain after consistent meditation practice compared to control.

There's heaps on info on it on YouTube and the Web. There's plenty of apps you can download to practice and learn. Pm me for more info if you like

Have you got a dog? If not could you borrow one, to take for walks? Dogs are good to talk to, as well :)

Look into mindfulness meditation. The technique itself is relaxing and all, but the main benefit comes in the form of a consistent increase in self awareness, resilience to discomfort, and an ability to return to the present when lost in thought or emotion.

It has been extensively researched in the last decade or so, with results showing it can be as effective as antidepressants in relieving anxiety and depression, even after only a short course of 8 weeks.

Functional MRI scans have demonstrated clear decreases in brain activity in anxiety centres of the brain after consistent meditation practice compared to control.

There's heaps on info on it on YouTube and the Web. There's plenty of apps you can download to practice and learn. Pm me for more info if you like

Thanks I appreciate it. I will look it up. Is this something you do yourself?

Honestly the only thing I know about mediation was what was on the Beatles Anthology series (massive fan). Don't know if you've seen it but they discussed going to India and learning meditation. I know George got a lot out of it, I think Ringo did too.

Have you got a dog? If not could you borrow one, to take for walks? Dogs are good to talk to, as well :)

No dog, just a 19 year old sulfer crested cockatoo who follows me around the house, chattering away :D. The one thing that keeps me barely sane, bought it hand raised all those years ago.

Dealing with depression has been something extremely difficult for me to admit, but through the help of my psychologist I have understood it’s not a weakness to talk openly about it....It’s something I hope in time I can deal with without the help of medication ( pristiq ), but I am honestly full of admiration for all you guys talking about this how you have, BF actually is like a little family & I am proud to be apart of it....This site remains the only social media I have, as I really like to converse with likeminded people. Eg massive sports fans. Thank you again. 👍
Best thing you can do is talk to people openly about it. I’m ex defence and ex detective and only 38 years old. I tried to take my life last year and failed when I passed out and the rope loosened.. haha. I’ve been getting help, there’s so many people out there that care. Im some random on a forum but happy to have a chat with you anytime. Feel free to message me mate.

Last edited:
Best thing you can do is talk to people openly about it. I’m ex defence and ex detective and only 38 years old. I tried to take my life last year and failed when I passed out and the rope loosened.. haha. I’ve been getting help, there’s so many people out there that care. Im some random on a forum but happy to have a chat with you anytime. Feel free to message me mate.

Yep, the best thing is to talk openly. I held it in for so many years because I was afraid of the stigma. When I first saw a physchiatrist it took a few years until I even told my parents how I was. And that only happened because I had a really bad anxiety attack and needed immediate help.

Once you open up you do find people are more than willing to support you.

Damn. Reading your stories makes me feel like I'm not alone & the struggle in my head is real. Life isn't easy for everybody.

Anxiety is a funny 1 that seems to sneak up on me in little waves. Then the tsunami hits & i feel completely overwhelmed & depressed as s**t.

Anyway. Life is not here to be spent alone. Grateful for your stories.
They are very inspiring & if anybody would like to reach out I am up for a chat.
Tomorrow is a new day .
Love to you all.

Damn. Reading your stories makes me feel like I'm not alone & the struggle in my head is real. Life isn't easy for everybody.

Anxiety is a funny 1 that seems to sneak up on me in little waves. Then the tsunami hits & i feel completely overwhelmed & depressed as sh*t.

They are very inspiring & if anybody would like to reach out I am up for a chat.
Tomorrow is a new day .
Love to you all.
thanks mate. Together we are stronger

Anxiety is a funny 1 that seems to sneak up on me in little waves. Then the tsunami hits & i feel completely overwhelmed & depressed as sh*t.

Tomorrow is a new day .
Love to you all.

You sound a bit like me, I have certain triggers. I can be fine but if something happens that I don't like I immediately go into anxiety mode, I'll have a panic attack if I don't get out of the situation.

I avoid the triggers to avoid the anxiety but then you can't live a full life, which makes me depressed. For me, it's the things I can't do because of my anxiety disorders that make me depressed. I am being treated for both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back