Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Beyond Blue - 1300 22 4636

Lifeline - 13 11 14

More than 3 million Australians suffer from depression and anxiety. We here at Bigfooty would like to strongly urge people in this situation to seek the assistance of friends, family or the dedicated staff at several organisations who are more than willing to listen.

You can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

If you would like more information please visit www.beyondblue.org.au or www.lifeline.org.au.

Theres an apropriate discussion thread on the subject here

Mental Health resources: (Thanks @Proper Gander)

Beyond Blue – call 1 300 22 4636

OR use this form to make contact by email at https://online.beyondblue.org.au/WebModules/Email/InitialInformation.aspx

AND for general information about Beyond Blue, depression, anxiety and related issues go to the Beyond Blue website at https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

Lifeline – call 13 11 14

OR use the online chat service at https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/online-services/crisis-chat (between the hours of 7PM and 4AM EST)

AND for general information about Lifeline, and tools and resources for managing stress, depression anxiety and related issues go to the Lifeline website at https://www.lifeline.org.au/

Kids Helpline

Phone: 1800 55 1800
Email: counsellor@kidshelpline.com.au
Web chat: https://kidshelpline.com.au/teens/get-help/webchat-counselling/

Other telephone resources to consider are:

Suicide call Back Service – 1 300 659 467 and

Mensline Australia – 1 300 789 978

Further:

Another useful resource to explore is mindhealthconnect – which is an Australian Government supported information and support network which can help guide you to the specific resources, information and assistance for your needs.

Find mindhealthconnect at http://www.mindhealthconnect.org.au/

EMERGENCY / CRISIS CONTACTS by State and Territory

These numbers above are important for anybody who is experiencing a mental health crisis or caring for someone experiencing a mental health crisis. This could include the emergence, or flare-up, of a psychotic episode, or risk of self-harm, or suicidal feelings or loss of control.

The State or Territory crisis line will provide expert support, and help work out with you what services can best help. This could be your own doctor, or if required presenting at a community health service or a hospital emergency department. In some cases, a Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (CATT Team) may be sent to wherever you or the affected person is located at the time.

YOU CAN ALSO ACCESS EMERGENCY SUPPORT FOR A MENTAL HEALTH EPISODE BY CALLING 000 AT ANY TIME

ALCOHOL and DRUG Addition

There are numerous support services and networks available. The best place to go as a first stop is the Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) at http://www.adin.com.au/

Amongst other things, ADIN has a large support services directory where you can search for help and support for particular issues by location.

If you would like to talk to someone at once, contact Counselling ONLINE – an Australian Government funded program operated by Turning Point. Amongst other things, Counselling ONLINE offers online one on one counselling as well as forum discussion and assistance. The website can be found at https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/

OR BY PHONE…

If your preference is to speak to someone by phone, you can contact a 24 hour Alcohol and Drug information services in your state:

ACT (02) 6207 9977

NSW 1800 422 599 (regional) or (02) 9361 8000 (metropolitan)

NT 1800 131 350

QLD 1800 177 833 (regional) or (07) 3837 5989 (metropolitan)

SA 1300 131 340

TAS 1800 811 994

VIC 1800 888 236

WA 1800 198 024 (regional) or (08) 9442 5000 (metropolitan)

GAMBLING SUPPORT

There are numerous support services and networks available specific to issues related to gambling. The best starting point online is Gambling Help Online at https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/ which provides information, online support and assistance.

To speak to someone about gambling issues, call 1800 858 858

All of the above resources are free and confidential

Whats this all about?
oh, this is cool, so much recognition for mental health these days, none when i was a kid and needed it.

Yeah it's great to know that there are so many different platforms available no matter the circumstance or time of day.

Its definitely important that people reach out and communicate.

You can also call 000 if you or someone around you is in crisis. Tell them it's a mental health issue and they'll put you through to the triage service (this works in Vic, I assume it's in all states).

Also, I have a LONG history of depression/anxiety related mental health problems including suicide attempts and a spell as an involuntary guest in the psych ward...So if anyone wants a chat with someone who's been there, feel free to get in touch. (nb. I have no professional qualifications and don't claim any expertise, just experience and a willingness to listen.)

Really well done on posting this info. Great to see this important info given prominence.

I would just like to add that there's also some fantastic resources around taking "preventative" steps, and working to improve mental health before it gets to crisis stage, or maintain better mental health in general (just like taking steps to stay physically healthy is good to ward off physical illness and injury). I can HIGHLY recommend the Act Belong Commit program/organisation. Take a looksy here https://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/. There's scope to get deeply involved in what they do, or merely take some pointers from the materials and apply them yourself as you want, or anything in between.

You can also call 000 if you or someone around you is in crisis. Tell them it's a mental health issue and they'll put you through to the triage service (this works in Vic, I assume it's in all states).

Also, I have a LONG history of depression/anxiety related mental health problems including suicide attempts and a spell as an involuntary guest in the psych ward...So if anyone wants a chat with someone who's been there, feel free to get in touch. (nb. I have no professional qualifications and don't claim any expertise, just experience and a willingness to listen.)
That's fantastic, telsor.
Talking about your experience is THE best thing that you can do.
You can't fight it if you don't acknowledge it.
That said, halfway through last Sunday the Black Dog bit me... out of nowhere and I haven't really taken my own advice, mainly because the wife's mother got moved to a dementia ward on Saturday, she's got enough worries.
It's a weird empty feeling.

Only found out yesterday my old man has been battling depression for two years. Had no idea. Still a long way to go, but just goes to show you would not know from the outside looking in. Be kind to people, smile, say gday ask how someone is feeling and be prepared to listen. It might save their life.

That's fantastic, telsor.
Talking about your experience is THE best thing that you can do.
You can't fight it if you don't acknowledge it.
That said, halfway through last Sunday the Black Dog bit me... out of nowhere and I haven't really taken my own advice, mainly because the wife's mother got moved to a dementia ward on Saturday, she's got enough worries.
It's a weird empty feeling.
Going through something similar myself, told a Psych I'm not nervous, just really angry and he said it's the same as nervous so I went from 'passing' the psych screening to showing I needed help.

Everyone has been so supportive, it has been brilliant to know, especially given the hardest part was talking to them and saying I'm not coping, especially work.

Hope you've taken the steps to seek help, I know from my experience theres always an excuse why I didn't sooner, I'm jsut glad I did before I ended up like a couple of mates who were admitted to a facility unable to talk as they'd completely shut down.

For those who serve or have served, VVCS has changed their name and you no longer have to have deployed to be eligible for support.

Open Arms provides free and confidential counselling to anyone who has served at least one day in the ADF, and the veteran community.

We provide free and confidential counselling and support for mental health conditions, such as posttraumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, sleep disturbance and anger, as well as general wellbeing support.

If you’re connected to the defence community and you need some support or advice, please call Open Arms on 1800 011 046 to learn more about your eligibility, and how we can provide services that are right for you.
EDIT: They offer services for families too, I'm just not sure if it's only current serving families.
OPEN ARMS

Last edited:
Lifeline and beyond blue are crap. Trust me.

You think when I’m depressed and suicidal I want to ring up and talk to some stranger who is just paying you lip service and practicing there reflective listening skills? These people can’t do **** besides listen. They can’t take your pain away.

So **** that.

At the end of the day it’s people who care about you you want to speak too, not strangers. But if those people are never there. Your ******.

Now watch Malifice infract me for saying all this.

You have a bully who makes my life hell working as a mod for you and you post sticky’s like this?

Hi mate,

You have posted this on the Richmond boards stickied thread, not the main board so no one is going to be infracting you for speaking up and venting.

Sometimes people just need to hear a voice and often prefer it to be a strangers voice from these support services as they wont feel like they are being judged.

It can be extremely hard speaking openly and honestly about these topics to loved ones and that's what beyond blue and lifeline are there for.

But for those who are courageous enough to speak about it with their family and friends that is a fantastic step forward.

My son's friend committed suicide a little over a week ago. They went to high school together and his death came out of the blue. It has rocked my son deeply. I have found it very difficult myself also despite the fact I did not know him personally. However, as a parent it has put the absolute fear into me. I am also feeling very sad for his family, I just cannot imagine.

My son is able to talk about it and I have encouraged him to go to all outings with his group of school friends. I have never known anyone to have suicided and it has been a real eye opener for me. I think from now on I will be more diligent with people when I sense they are sad. But sometimes I guess you just cannot see inside what the person is thinking or feeling. I hope that one day they will find an answer to help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My son's friend committed suicide a little over a week ago. They went to high school together and his death came out of the blue. It has rocked my son deeply. I have found it very difficult myself also despite the fact I did not know him personally. However, as a parent it has put the absolute fear into me. I am also feeling very sad for his family, I just cannot imagine.

My son is able to talk about it and I have encouraged him to go to all outings with his group of school friends. I have never known anyone to have suicided and it has been a real eye opener for me. I think from now on I will be more diligent with people when I sense they are sad. But sometimes I guess you just cannot see inside what the person is thinking or feeling. I hope that one day they will find an answer to help.
Hope everything is ok for you and your boy.

Hope everything is ok for you and your boy.
Many thanks Tigerbob for your kind words.

We are ok but I was concerned for my son for a couple of days there. I think he has now accepted it. The funeral was yesterday and thankfully he was able to catch up with his other classmates from that VCE year and reminisce.

For me, I did not know the friend well but my son talked about him. I was affected for about a week there, quite a few tears were shed on the way to work in the car. I got quite scared for a while. Also, what really saddened me is when I think of how this must affect his family and how life for them will now be so different from this point on. Christmases, birthdays and other celebrations will always be tinged with sadness. I also thought of the friend himself and thinking of him in the dark of a cold night, alone, knowing what he was about to do. As a parent that upset me more than anything.

Well said

Police confirmed Spud's death not counted towards the road toll. So devestating for his family. For god sake be kind to each other and don't be scared to give someone a hug or be there with a shoulder to cry on. Depression is a seriously cruel mistress. Take care of one another

I have over the years accepted the fact that I suffer from anxiety (just mild) but it can be triggered off mainly from work which is weird.

I was bullied in the work force straight away as an 18 year old in the office and didn't know how to take it... I thought people would back me up like high school but I was so naive and learnt the hard way.

I put heaps of pressure on myself to not let anyone down and have twice been made redundant from jobs and the jobs I accepted just ****ed me up hard where I only took it for the money but I couldn't handle the people, work itself and the face of feeling worthless. I just had many sleepless nights and never wanted to go out... it probs got to a bit of depression but I knew I needed to move on to get me out of the rut (this was as early as last year) which I did and things improved heaps.

Thank God for the support from my wife although I had a little episode at work where there was a bit of pressure and with my grandfather on his way out i just let rip and started cursing... I had a work colleague dob me in the bitch and that's when I held a catch up and told everyone about my situation.

Things have been great since then, sorry for the long story but it's so good getting this out.

I have over the years accepted the fact that I suffer from anxiety (just mild) but it can be triggered off mainly from work which is weird.

I was bullied in the work force straight away as an 18 year old in the office and didn't know how to take it... I thought people would back me up like high school but I was so naive and learnt the hard way.

I put heaps of pressure on myself to not let anyone down and have twice been made redundant from jobs and the jobs I accepted just f’ed me up hard where I only took it for the money but I couldn't handle the people, work itself and the face of feeling worthless. I just had many sleepless nights and never wanted to go out... it probs got to a bit of depression but I knew I needed to move on to get me out of the rut (this was as early as last year) which I did and things improved heaps.

Thank God for the support from my wife although I had a little episode at work where there was a bit of pressure and with my grandfather on his way out i just let rip and started cursing... I had a work colleague dob me in the bitch and that's when I held a catch up and told everyone about my situation.

Things have been great since then, sorry for the long story but it's so good getting this out.
Acknowledging your situation and family support will get you through anything, best wishes moving forward.
Needed a reminder of this myself... everything seems a bit grim today.

Acknowledging your situation and family support will get you through anything, best wishes moving forward.
Needed a reminder of this myself... everything seems a bit grim today.
Thanks mate, hope everything is ok with u buddy.

Things were great but unfortunately I lost my nonno (grandfather) last week who i was close with... having said that being so resilient as made me stronger during this time and try to remain positive.

Thanks mate, hope everything is ok with u buddy.

Things were great but unfortunately I lost my nonno (grandfather) last week who i was close with... having said that being so resilient as made me stronger during this time and try to remain positive.
Cheers, appreciate it.
Losing a loved one tests everyone. Grieve and then remember the good times is the best advice I can give, I did/do with my Dad who passed in 2015.
Day turned out OK in the end... as usual, things weren't as bad as they seemed.

I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) at the age of 12 ... I’m now almost 45

Over the past few months, I have been really struggling with my mental health - depression, anxiety, panic attacks ... this has affected my job & family

3 weeks ago, my best friend of over 20 years went missing ... a couple of days later, his body was found in his car in a river ... we are still waiting for the coroner to release the body so that a funeral can be held

I had the opportunity to see the Tiges train on the Gold Coast last week (moved up here from Melbourne nearly 2 years ago) ... it was a brief bright spot during a very difficult time in my life ... RFC means a lot to all of us - I lived through 35 years of us being a joke but the last 3 years have been f...ing amazing

I feel like I need to talk to someone but don’t know where to start looking to find the right person. Is a GP the 1st step?
Yes mate, go see a GP and they will discuss a mental health plan with you.
Take care

Remove this Banner Ad

Back