Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a kind person. I'll survive. I'm just run of the mill depressed. It's just disappointing when it happens again. Like I'm good for a bit and then realise it's back to this.
40 years it nipped at my heels. Been 12 months and I've been doing the best to love myself. Unconditionally. Forgiving my mum for being less than perfect was helpful too. But talking is the best medicine. You can't release anything without sharing.
Don't mean to sound preachy. I'm just saying keep searching for your answers and you will find them.

You know how you have good times and bad times-now is a bad time. I feel like the pits. I miss Queensland, simply can't get used to living down here. My family are being nasty, my dad literally told me to go and kill myself, he said I should start the car and choke on carbon monoxide. I hate Melbourne so much and my family are suffocating and controlling.

I have the book on ACT, I'll pull it out and have a read tonight.

I just want to disappear.

Anyone here on meds? I been taking Lexapro for a couple of weeks now for mild depression/anxiety and haven't really noticed much of a difference in terms of mood etc, although I was told it usually takes 2-3 months to notice the full effects which I reckon is horse s**t. Any other meds out there that have helped?

Also if anyone wants to talk about anything, don't hesitate to PM me. I know this is a footy forum and we all support different clubs, but when it comes to this s**t our hearts beat as one.

You know how you have good times and bad times-now is a bad time. I feel like the pits. I miss Queensland, simply can't get used to living down here. My family are being nasty, my dad literally told me to go and kill myself, he said I should start the car and choke on carbon monoxide. I hate Melbourne so much and my family are suffocating and controlling.

I have the book on ACT, I'll pull it out and have a read tonight.

I just want to disappear.
s**t mate, that's really appalling treatment you are getting. Your dad is being downright abusive to you if he said that. Is there any way you can go back to QLD? Sounds like that's the place for you to be. No matter your situation, don't put up with abuse. You've gotta fight back and get yourself in a safe and supportive environment. I'm really sorry to hear you're so down. I'm here for you any time, as I'm sure are others in this great thread. Drop me a line if you need to.

s**t mate, that's really appalling treatment you are getting. Your dad is being downright abusive to you if he said that. Is there any way you can go back to QLD? Sounds like that's the place for you to be. No matter your situation, don't put up with abuse. You've gotta fight back and get yourself in a safe and supportive environment. I'm really sorry to hear you're so down. I'm here for you any time, as I'm sure are others in this great thread. Drop me a line if you need to.
Thank you so much. As soon as I find full time work up there, I'm outta here. City, country, whatever, doesn't matter one little bit. I don't rely on my parents for anything so I don't see how my parents can still be so controlling. All the personal attacks add up, and now I'm in tears even just waking up in the morning. I don't need this in my life.

Feels great to share in this thread though. And I'm thrilled to see that so many have shared their own personal stories, and that the BigFooty community has been so supportive.

Thank you so much. As soon as I find full time work up there, I'm outta here. City, country, whatever, doesn't matter one little bit. I don't rely on my parents for anything so I don't see how my parents can still be so controlling. All the personal attacks add up, and now I'm in tears even just waking up in the morning. I don't need this in my life.

Feels great to share in this thread though. And I'm thrilled to see that so many have shared their own personal stories, and that the BigFooty community has been so supportive.

Where do your best friends live, in QLD?? Even If you don't feel like you have a best friend or best friends I guarantee you have good people you know that would help out if you let them know things aren't 100%. Heck ask if it's okay to sleep on their couch for a few weeks while you look for a job, there'll be someone you know in QLD happy to go out and have a beer and watch the footy on a friday night with you I guarantee it. Just gotta let them know things aren't 100%. Definitely go see a doctor and have a chat if you think you can. It's awesome how quickly things can turn around if you start living with people you like instead of people you can't stand.

Maybe it's not that simple for you and for whatever reason my suggestions don't help for your situation, I don't know all the info, but I reckon if you go out of your way to spend time around people you like then things get easier

Anyone here on meds? I been taking Lexapro for a couple of weeks now for mild depression/anxiety and haven't really noticed much of a difference in terms of mood etc, although I was told it usually takes 2-3 months to notice the full effects which I reckon is horse s**t. Any other meds out there that have helped?

Also if anyone wants to talk about anything, don't hesitate to PM me. I know this is a footy forum and we all support different clubs, but when it comes to this s**t our hearts beat as one.
the help can be subtle at first and its not until a few weeks or months later that you realise its actually working. I took lexapro for 8 months and didnt think it did much at the time, yet when I stopped it I gradually got worse again. I realise now that it did help to some degree. Also, different SSRI's etc help different people. Give it a full few months before judging the success. Changing dose can also have an effect which can take a month or so to show results. I know, waiting really sucks

What if it's not the best medicine? Does sharing come with a guarantee of release?
Good point. It's a starting point, but regardless of guarantees or popular myths it isn't an infallible path to a solution.

You're a kind person. I'll survive. I'm just run of the mill depressed. It's just disappointing when it happens again. Like I'm good for a bit and then realise it's back to this.
BTW thanks to the various people who responded to me in this thread or by PM or on my profile page. It doesn't remove what is difficult, but it genuinely makes me feel less lonely and sometimes panicked. And it's amazing to discover how many people I've never met are prepared to be generous without incentive. Truly amazing. So thanks again. I'm hanging in there by a rope or sometimes a thread but still there so cheers.

BTW thanks to the various people who responded to me in this thread or by PM or on my profile page. It doesn't remove what is difficult, but it genuinely makes me feel less lonely and sometimes panicked. And it's amazing to discover how many people I've never met are prepared to be generous without incentive. Truly amazing. So thanks again. I'm hanging in there by a rope or sometimes a thread but still there so cheers.
Hang in there mate. We enjoy your company on here too much to see you go

I agree, depressed or not it is best to be around people who appreciate you, wherever they are. If people don't have respect for you best to just avoid them and cut them out of your life if you can, even if they are a parent.

Hey mate there are a lot of different meds out there, Lexapro is often the first go to med you will be given as it has the highest success rate. They all tend to take a month or two for the full effect to kick in so stick with it. It is also good to be realistic with what they can do for you too, they aren't gonna turn you into Steve Irwin overnight if you know what I mean, it's more about taking the edge off and stopping you going really low. You will still have to do other things to manage your mood as well, e.g. take time to relax away from stresses, exercise, limit alcohol etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't really told anyone but my friends no I've been pretty down recently doesn't help when people push to towards being more angry and down. Sick of it. Been told to "suck it up" by people too which hasn't helped and thinking of talking to someone but the wall infront is that "it's being soft", Excise has been really good, run every day and it helps but I can't do that 100% a day just to keep me fine. I'd really recommend exercising/ running/ walks, gives you a chance to clear your head.

My partner of 10 years left me about 8 weeks ago.

After being very upset for a few days, I thought I was coping ok, but about 3 weeks ago, one morning my alarm went off and I just froze and couldn't get out of bed. I saw the doc that day, she said to see how the next couple of days went, my stomach was in knots for the entire time.

I am on escitalopram which I was told won't have any effect for about 4 weeks. I am also taking alepam for instant relief. I am not sure if the first med is working, but I don't need to take much of the alepam any more. Only half a tab in the last 3 days.

Also, talking about it does help. My family, close friends and work colleagues all know about it and are very supportive. I have also seen a psychologist a couple of times, but not sure if that has helped me that much.

AFL finals: Ex-Western Bulldogs player Cameron Wight shares story of depression

The son of former Collingwood player Terry Wight, Cameron went to the Whitten Oval with pick 49 of the 2002 draft. Awfully shy, Wight did not enjoy the life of a professional footballer. He wouldn't spend a minute longer at the club than necessary. Club doctor Jake Landsberger diagnosed Wight with depression and prescribed him medication, but Wight largely kept his condition from those around him – including teammates. It is his great regret.

"I kind of just kept pushing it aside because I didn't think it was that big a problem at that stage," he says.

1474606522549.jpg

Telling his tale: Cameron Wight has chosen to talk about his depression as part of the AFLPA's Better Out than In campaign. Photo: AFLPA
"I just kept ignoring and ignoring it until it got real bad two years ago."

Wight managed 36 games across seven years before being let go by the club at the end of 2009. A personal training career followed, but his depression would not abate. He would get home from work and go straight to bed, debilitated by the Black Dog. Still he kept his situation hidden from those around him.

Advertisement
"I held it in for too long," Wight says.

"It kept building and building and then exploded."

1474606522549.jpg

Playing days: Cameron Wight in action for the Bulldogs. Photo: Getty Images
That car crash proved to be a nadir. With the assistance of the AFL Players' Association and those around him, Wight worked to get the support he needed. He is back on track – working in metal sheeting – and while his illness may never totally leave him, Wight now has better ways to cope.

"I still have my bad times but I know they're going to happen and I know how to deal with those," he says.

"[I've] had a massive change in my life the last year or so.

"The AFLPA, my family and friends, have helped me enormously."

He has chosen to tell his story as part of the AFLPA's Better Out than In campaign that encourages men not to bottle up their experience with mental illness.

Wight is also looking forward to an overdue catch-up with current Dogs defenders Easton Wood and Dale Morris, both of whom he played with. But their meeting has had to take a back seat as a result of Luke Beveridge's side's improbable run to the season's penultimate weekend. Morris is Wight's closest friend still at the Kennel, and Wight is urging his ex-teammates on to premiership glory.

"It's great so see them doing so well," Wight says.

"I'm happy for Easton, and especially happy for Dale."

But while pleased about the Dogs' success, Wight wonders whether his career might have looked a bit more like those of Morris or Wood had he shared the truth earlier. "I definitely look back and think if I did speak up earlier, who knows what would have happened."

By discussing his journey he hopes current players won't end up with the same "what ifs".

Everyone I've spoken to has backed up the 2-3 months thing, can have subtle effects early on but the full range doesn't necessarily kick in til a few months through.

I personally got lucky on Fluvoxamine100 and got the full effect within a week or two, which is an incredibly low chance thing, just likely a combination of the diet I was on, the fact I never take meds (even aspirin) unless I need them and a few other things.

What if it's not the best medicine? Does sharing come with a guarantee of release?
No it doesn't. But it mirrors life. Life doesn't come with a warranty either. Irrespective, sharing and connecting with someone else surely has to be important. Even if it is just so that one's own suffering does not go unwitnessed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back