Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

rickety

Premium Gold
Nov 3, 2007
Postmans' Reef
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
swfc, carrum cowboys
Booze is a difficult one indeed.
For 18 months I tried to treat my Depression and Aniexty with 6 to 10 pints of beer a night - needless to say, it didn't end well. The last week of Feb this year I lost my job, my home, and nearly took my own life - It was a phone call to lifeline that probably saved it.
I'm a massive advocate in people seeker professional help with their mental health, however when it came to myself, I viewed it as a weakness. I thought that at the age of 46 I should have my sh*t together and was ashamed of myself and the way I was feeling.
Its been six months now, six months today of sobriety, six months of reflection, six months of counselling and although I have a way to go, things are better. Im still searching for work, however volunteer with the Salvos a few days a week. I know I'll find work eventually.
I just wished I sort help earlier.
It would have prevented alot of unnecessary hurt for myself and the hurt I inflicted on others.
I will never drink again- I know it will kill me.
I share the above for one reason only; its ok not to be ok, but its not ok to suffer in silence. There is help is out there. Please don't minimise the importance of your mental health.
I dont really feel comfortable telling people that I was suicidal, however I know its important, because the more we talk about suicide, the less we'll hear about it.
Well done mate, and keep going. I was thinking about a mate last night who has taken many many years to seek help. 8 years. He calls it 6, then "nah, maybe 5 .... definitely 4, well, the last few years have been ok" ...... 8 years. His wife has been bangin' on about it. I have been in his ear too for 2 years. I spoke with him the other night he said "oh it's good working from home .... actually I didn't work today I wasn't feeling well. Actually all week. Well actually 3 weeks now". TBH my mate is cooked, burnt out big time and now struggles to function almost properly. Will walk the dog but forget to wear shoes. Will get up at 12, have a beer and go back to bed. He's not in a good way, but has a loving family and medical support. It's quite sad. I told him well done on getting help, that I was proud of him. He seemed to perk up at that. Reminded me of a song by The Levellers - Far Away is close at hand. Although things can seem, or even be quite dismal, you just never ever know what is gonna happen tomorrow. Work will show up mate, it's the best thing about life I reckon, well, other than being a dad, something always shows/turns up just in the nick of time. For example, 8 weeks ago I was told my job will change quite significantly. Two mondays ago it did, and although I was nonplussed, it's better than having to search for work, no offence. Then on Friday last week, my ex said she's heading back from whence we came ....... turns out she didn't want my best little mate to go with her and now lo and behold, because my job has changed, I can fit his school timings in with work. Almost perfectly scripted. The side note is it's taken almost 4 years to now be in this spot, and I have 1 happy little bouncing bean as well, but just hang in there. You will find your path again, or it will find you. Be patient, be calm, tick boxes, suck eggs if you have to, but life will come good again :)

The acurate one

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For 18 months I tried to treat my Depression and Aniexty with 6 to 10 pints of beer a night - needless to say, it didn't end well. The last week of Feb this year I lost my job, my home, and nearly took my own life - It was a phone call to lifeline that probably saved it.
I'm a massive advocate in people seeker professional help with their mental health, however when it came to myself, I viewed it as a weakness. I thought that at the age of 46 I should have my sh*t together and was ashamed of myself and the way I was feeling.
Its been six months now, six months today of sobriety, six months of reflection, six months of counselling and although I have a way to go, things are better. Im still searching for work, however volunteer with the Salvos a few days a week. I know I'll find work eventually.
It would have prevented alot of unnecessary hurt for myself and the hurt I inflicted on others.
I share the above for one reason only; its ok not to be ok, but its not ok to suffer in silence. There is help is out there. Please don't minimise the importance of your mental health.
I dont really feel comfortable telling people that I was suicidal, however I know its important, because the more we talk about suicide, the less we'll hear about it.
Cassius well done and good on you, I dips me lid in your direction. You were brave and are still brave. Sometimes I think we need to hit the bottom before we can start the march to the top.

Well done for your volunteer work and you'll get a job that's a given. Just be sure to celebrate those little successes, they're important. Don;t look back though and wish. Rip the rear-view mirror off and move forward, learn from those times of course. If you've somethings to mend, time and you can mend those.

Thank you for sharing part of your journey👍

tales129

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
top notch post Cassius.

******* hard enough talking about your feelings - not the easiest thing to give up the grog either. Well done!!

Ryz

Premium Platinum
Aug 26, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
MMA
Know there's been a lot of angst around the board lately, just wanted to say that regardless of your background or opinions, I love every single one of you campaigners, and whether it's covid or non covid induced struggles, hoping you're all doing as good as you can considering the circumstances.

Always here for anyone that needs a chat or to vent.

Stay safe :hearts::thumbsu:

Hojuman

첫 번째 남자 대 남자
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Know there's been a lot of angst around the board lately, just wanted to say that regardless of your background or opinions, I love every single one of you campaigners, and whether it's covid or non covid induced struggles, hoping you're all doing as good as you can considering the circumstances.

Always here for anyone that needs a chat or to vent.

Stay safe :hearts::thumbsu:

Looking forward to g.f. autopsy thread 2021 after a hard fought win and we look back at 2020 and laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

see see

And don't forget the joker...
May 30, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Deportivo Wanka
No matter your political / football / religious / sexual or drinking preferences, hope all you buggers R.OK today.

Give a shout out to yer' mates and let them know that they are valued as family and or friends.

Doesn't take much.

Cheers.
Cheers Hoj. Have a Soju or two for me 👍

The acurate one

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So hope f***ers are doin ok? Still the best thread , filled with beautiful people who care about us. And those equally beautiful people that frustrate the pants of me. Man some of you test my lack of patience. Oh I'll let you work out your category 😉

It's been really tough for us Vic's, yeah there's light at the end of the tunnel for sure. I just hope we've all learnt from this sh*t show. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed, fu** tomorrow , do it today.

That s all, oh I'm a bit pissed, yeah may have broken a law or two today, there was cuddles nd tears, and no women involved. Just some good ol boys.
Peace out.

Hojuman

첫 번째 남자 대 남자
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We all got there TAO. Just gotta stay there and support our mates to get the state, country & globe going again.

Shout out to all our international posters. We are thinking of you. Would assume most of us have travelled to all corners of the world where you may live.

Doing it tough ? Let us know. We are listening 👍

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had a pretty sh*t one today. Nothing happened. I’ll be sweet. Sometimes it just gets in your head. Just needed to put it out there. Don’t need a pat on the back or anything...spose I just wanted to vent somewhere. If I told my friends or my wife they’d probably want me to talk about about it and tell me it’s all good or something, but honestly sometimes it’s best just to except how you’re feeling and then get through it. Tomorrow is a new day and all that.

Remove this Banner Ad