Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

Snake_Baker

Poster of the Year 2020
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I saw her yesterday which will be my last consoltaion. I have an appointment with my gp for a new psychiatrist referral.
Honestly I’ve gone through some sh*t before but Xanax withdrawal cold Turkey was really ******* hard, especially trying to hide it from my family
Why has your psychiatrist stopped prescribing medication? If they are acting in a consultancy capacity, then they can also prescribe meds. This is very odd.

I don't think you need the added pressure of hiding things from your family mate, but of course, that is just a laypersons musings, and not medical advice.

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why has your psychiatrist stopped prescribing medication? If they are acting in a consultancy capacity, then they can also prescribe meds. This is very odd.

I don't think you need the added pressure of hiding things from your family mate, but of course, that is just a laypersons musings, and not medical advice.
I think she’s facing litigation from an other client and it’s effected the way she goes about it. She actually told me that she’s going to have to change how she prescribes the last time I saw her. She’s under investigation and is looking after herself...which I can understand tbh. She hasn’t been stopped from prescribing meds, but alprazolam is a controlled substance now so she can’t prescribe it without a permit.

Problem is there was a fu** up in the dates, or something which left me 3 weeks short. When I rang her to ask what was happening she said “go to emergency and hung up”.

Zero care for me. And don’t get me wrong I’m not one to feel sorry for myself, but Jesus imagine if I was someone at the end of my tether

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry to hear what you're going through Val, hopefully things become easier soon too.

You're a ripping fella, so no doubt you'll be smashing it soon.
Thanks mate. I’m out the other side of it now. I’ve been through benzo withdrawal before but this time was really bad. Unfortunately so far they’re the only thing that work for me. I’m getting a referral for a new psychiatrist on the 15th. I have completely lost trust in my old one. I also have a psychologist who I was starting to do EMDR therapy with before covid restrictions put an end to that, it only works face to face.

Hojuman

첫 번째 남자 대 남자
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks mate. I’m out the other side of it now. I’ve been through benzo withdrawal before but this time was really bad. Unfortunately so far they’re the only thing that work for me. I’m getting a referral for a new psychiatrist on the 15th. I have completely lost trust in my old one. I also have a psychologist who I was starting to do EMDR therapy with before covid restrictions put an end to that, it only works face to face.

Good to see you getting on with it Val and posting about it. Not easy to do. We all enjoy your footy posts and hope to see you posting on footy matters more and not so much here 🙂

Glad you have Mrs. Val

ChoppyGun

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve been through benzo withdrawal before but this time was really bad.
Can be deadly mate. My alcohol withdrawal sucked big time (the visual hallucinations the worst) but I know a mate with benzo withdrawal (Diazapam) and nearly died due to a seizure.................

Take it easy and seek as much help as you can. Sounds like you're doing much better

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can be deadly mate. My alcohol withdrawal sucked big time but I know a mate with benzo withdrawal (Diazapam) and nearly died..................

Take it easy and seek as much help as you can.
Yeah I know the risk. Like I wrote, it was one of, if not the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

DarkPhoenix

Cont-Roo-Versial
May 26, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
ManCity, Cardinals, Avalanche
Can't imagine what thats like Val.

If I miss even a day of my sertraline I feel like absolute crap, electric brain shocks, light headedness, lack of coordination etc.

Can't imagine something like that dialed up to 11.

Honestly your psych would want to be very careful, pulling someone off a drug like that is just as dangerous as overprescribing.

In fact in my nursing handbook it specifically states that withdrawal from benzos should occur over a 4-6 week period minimum, and sudden withdrawal can cause rebound phenomena. She's negligent.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad