Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Been debating as to weather or not I should share this, but fu** it, I will.

Due to my panic disorder I was prescribed Xanax and other benzos, SSRI’s. It’s been about 6 years now and what started as .5mg of Xanax a day is now 4mg because of the tolerance buildup. Sometimes I take twice the prescribed amount. I went to a new psychiatrist who told me that he’s never seen anyone get better using those meds and eventually leads to respiratory failure with such high doses.

I have tried to go off cold turkey a few times, lasted about 3 and a bit weeks the last time but going off Xanax like that is potentially life threatening. Alcohol and benzo withdrawal are the only two that can kill you.

So, as of Monday I’ll be going into hospital to get off it safely. I just got the call from the hospital confirming that they have a spot for me. Could be a week, could be 3 weeks.

Feeling pretty positive about it but also worried that I’ll go back to what I was like before taking the meds. It sucks that something that gave me my life back won’t be available to me anymore. I have no idea what to expect.

Best place to do it Val. Best of luck and keep posting ( enjoy it 👍 )

Devington

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best place to do it Val. Best of luck and keep posting ( enjoy it 👍 )
Certainly is. My best mate has been hospitalised in a closed ward a couple of times after having his medication get the better of him (once for a psychotic break and another time simply because his dosage had gotten out of control due to tolerance), and the tools at their disposal are a far cry better than just trying to struggle through while going cold turkey, or even just trying to ween yourself off slowly, at home. That's even before factoring in having immediate care if something goes wrong, which is reasonably likely to happen with this kind of thing.

Best of luck to you, Val.

Lomas

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Certainly is. My best mate has been hospitalised in a closed ward a couple of times after having his medication get the better of him (once for a psychotic break and another time simply because his dosage had gotten out of control due to tolerance), and the tools at their disposal are a far cry better than just trying to struggle through while going cold turkey, or even just trying to ween yourself off slowly, at home. That's even before factoring in having immediate care if something goes wrong, which is reasonably likely to happen with this kind of thing.

Best of luck to you, Val.
Could not agree more. I've had friends and family go through the same experience, and the ability to accelerate and monitor the change from one medication to the next is far greater, and safer, in hospital.

Lomas

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Due to my panic disorder I was prescribed Xanax and other benzos, SSRI’s. It’s been about 6 years now and what started as .5mg of Xanax a day is now 4mg because of the tolerance buildup. Sometimes I take twice the prescribed amount. I went to a new psychiatrist who told me that he’s never seen anyone get better using those meds and eventually leads to respiratory failure with such high doses.

I have tried to go off cold turkey a few times, lasted about 3 and a bit weeks the last time but going off Xanax like that is potentially life threatening. Alcohol and benzo withdrawal are the only two that can kill you.

So, as of Monday I’ll be going into hospital to get off it safely. I just got the call from the hospital confirming that they have a spot for me. Could be a week, could be 3 weeks.

Feeling pretty positive about it but also worried that I’ll go back to what I was like before taking the meds. It sucks that something that gave me my life back won’t be available to me anymore. I have no idea what to expect.
Hospital is the best place to change medications and treatments. With the supervision you'll be able to make the transition in a safer and quicker way.

Best of luck to you, I hope your stay is smooth and short.

blackshadow

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Team WADA

Best of luck and that you come out the other side feeling better and stronger.

El Triggso

Foremost authority and leading expert
Sep 26, 2013
Club cafe
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Good luck. Well done for being proactive, stay positive.

Kangaroos4eva

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2012
QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United

Best of luck with it all mate, I imagine it won’t be easy for you.

rickety

Premium Gold
Nov 3, 2007
Postmans' Reef
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
swfc, carrum cowboys
Best wishes Val Keating. I have no real concept of what you're going through, have to deal with or even how or what you should tell your kids. There is no rule book, and the way you end up telling them is the best way. As for BF, just clock in as normal, and list your return as TBC, like a 1/4 of the playing list. That will give you 2 weeks minimum anyway. Be well mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

zoomba23

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best of luck to Val Keating. Just thought I'd chip in here too. Atm I'm bedridden in the throes of an unusually intense social anxiety attack, the stomach pain is dialled up to 11. Watching some highlights from the boys' recent games as a distraction. I know I don't know others here personally but I appreciate having a place to be able to express this :thumbsu: mental health can be a b*tch

Ligma

Airhead
Dec 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cheers mate. Just bored shitless tbh. It’s not quite ‘One flew over the Cuckoo’s nest’ in here at least so no lobotomy coming my way.....hopefully
The best thing to do when you’re bored is watching tiktok!! All the best Val!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad