Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not my daily medication that causes the memory loss, (though I am on cymbalta so Trons post gives me some concern). I have a panic disorder that's triggered by certain situations & environments, because of that sometimes I take Xanax. That's where the memory loss comes from.

Don't get me started on Xanax. That s**t can mess you up.
Cymbalta will have different effects on different people but most issues are related to coming off it. There have been law suits in the States which have been settled and now there is apparently a recognized Cymbalta withdrawal syndrome. Do your research and monitor how you feel over time. It may not cause you any problems but best to keep yourself informed.

Cymbalta will have different effects on different people but most issues are related to coming off it. There have been law suits in the States which have been settled and now there is apparently a recognized Cymbalta withdrawal syndrome. Do your research and monitor how you feel over time. It may not cause you any problems but best to keep yourself informed.

I started off on Sertraline but that had no effect. Then I gave Cymbalta a go, got up to 90mg with no effect, doc wanted me to got up another 30mg but I went off it, felt worse so went back on and I'm currently on 60mg. TBH I don't think it's helping me at all, but my situation is pretty unique (spose everyone's is).

I've had this over half my life but only looked for help about 3 years ago. I kept it all to myself. No one knew. I got really good at hiding it. I self medicated a lot. I honestly thought I was going crazy and if I spoke to someone I'd be locked away.

One of the hardest things I've ever done was to tell my wife. She was the first person I told, then my parents and slowly my friends. That was 3 years ago. I can honestly say that more then any medication, speaking up about it helped me the most. It took so much pressure off. I could actually relax because I didn't feel like I had to be 'on' or hold it together.

Speaking up about it and telling people close to me was by far the best thing I've ever done.

Last edited:

I really unloaded there haha
Hardly mate. All reasonable and honest discussion. Which is a key aspect in getting through.

If you can get off the meds then try to do it. It can take time to get off but like most things in life it just ain't that simple and you still may find that you need to take something anyway. Just do your research and don't be afraid to question the docs. While they know what the industry is all about effects of meds vary from person to person.

Hardly mate. All reasonable and honest discussion. Which is a key aspect in getting through.

If you can get off the meds then try to do it. It can take time to get off but like most things in life it just ain't that simple and you still may find that you need to take something anyway. Just do your research and don't be afraid to question the docs. While they know what the industry is all about effects of meds vary from person to person.

That's the goal mate. I'm seeing a new psychologist and we're coming at it from another direction. I'm basically putting myself in the sort of environments that will trigger me without the meds every day. Lucky I am my own boss haha.

Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy is confronting as hell due to the source of my anxiety issues.

When (if) you are ready practising what some people call "mindfulness" (there are plenty of techniques for that process, not all of them are associated with the name "mindfulness" tho,) in other, everyday situations that are as far removed from what triggers your anxiety as possible might help you prepare for ET. Sometimes its confronting tho. Point is it might help dealing with and getting the most from exposure therapy. If that's a big ask for you and you still want to give it a go. You might not anyway, you may practise mindfulness and still not want to do ET. Fair enough. I found it good for helping understand and control my reactions in some situations and afterwards.

When (if) you are ready practising what some people call "mindfulness" (there are plenty of techniques for that process, not all of them are associated with the name "mindfulness" tho,) in other, everyday situations that are as far removed from what triggers your anxiety as possible might help you prepare for ET. Sometimes its confronting tho. Point is it might help dealing with and getting the most from exposure therapy. If that's a big ask for you and you still want to give it a go. You might not anyway, you may practise mindfulness and still not want to do ET. Fair enough. I found it good for helping understand and control my reactions in some situations and afterwards.
I have done mindfulness in coordination with confronting anxiety triggers (images/videos) for a while now, which has reduced a lot of the anxiety. The problem is that I bite back at the anxious thoughts now and again, so I need professional help to finish the anxiety off, at least to a more tolerable level.

I have done mindfulness in coordination with confronting anxiety triggers (images/videos) for a while now, which has reduced a lot of the anxiety. The problem is that I bite back at the anxious thoughts now and again, so I need professional help to finish the anxiety off, at least to a more tolerable level.

Hey at least you're on the way, thats a great thing in itself. There is nothing wrong with a bit of help when we need it.

Not at all mate, keep it going.

The more its discussed the better it is.

Awareness, understanding, support, respect.

Ok. Spose in some ways I'm lucky, for some reason I can stay calm(ish) in pretty bad situations but put me in a room full of calm people and my heart starts racing.

Turns out I'm not crazy. Just struggling with some stuff.

If I could give a message to someone whose battling, the best piece of advise I could give is to speak to someone who you trust. Someone sensitive enough to understand. If you don't have someone sensitive if your circle, see a doctor and if that's not possible call the helpline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steer clear of Xanax.

Never had it personally but it's ****ed a few up i know.

Tranquiliser stuff like X is handed out too simply.
Like Valium.....never had it either but "Drs" want to hand out like a Panadol.
Seems to make most worse after (imho).
Take care guys and girls :thumbsu:

Tranquiliser stuff like X is handed out too simply.
Like Valium.....never had it either but "Drs" want to hand out like a Panadol.
Seems to make most worse after (imho).
Take care guys and girls :thumbsu:

It's not that simple. Sometimes the choice is between taking something like that or not being able to cope at all. It's dangerous to give advice like that, because everyone's situation is different. Someone out there might be really struggling and need a bit of short term relief. Simply telling people to stay away from those meds might be the wrong advice for someone who feels like they have no other choice.

I agree that it can be a dangerous drug, although it is very good at what it does. The best advice is to see a good responsible doctor, who'll monitor them closely.
Help comes in many different forms, it's not the same for everyone.

Xanax can be incredibly harmful. But it should not be discounted by those who need it.

My mum was on it for years but it was the wrong medication for her. Switched to a new one and she's ten times better. Shows that every medication is slightly different and it can take years to get it right.

I got lucky and luvox straight up worked okay for me.

Cannot stress this enough, mate of mine keeps going "Just get a job, you'll be right", just makes me feel shitter each time. People need to understand
I actually had a doctor tell me this,the interesting thing was I was referred to her from behond blue,lucky I went to someone else that actually understood mental illness.

Going alright?
I'm getting through the day a lot better now,I wake up with that feeling of dread everyday but once I do my routine of exercise (combat dvd,sometimes forcing myself) whitch gives me a real buzz im okay,I'm nowhere near as bad as i once was and am only on a low dose of meds but really the best meds that work for me is that good hour of hard exercise in the morning,seems to keep me up for most of the day,I really notice the difference in my mood if I don't get to do it.

RUOK? Day today everyone. Put yourself out there, ask a friend how they're actually doing.

21728489_10159331023040710_1276561446563394211_n.jpg

Same. I've been trying to do a bit of it this week. Very, very hard to get through.

I need to do something though because my medication can get the better of me. I have memory issues (which is especially hard with work).

The last few days have left me pretty edgy.

Ok so as flogish as it is to quote myself,I will anyway.

Every day for the past week I have put myself in the sort of environment that will cause me to have a panic attack.
Sure enough, the panic set in. For those that have never had one, remember a time where you felt so endangered that your body took over. BANG! Heart goes, nerves shoot through your body like a lightning bolt. Trembling now. Eyes darting, sizing up every human in sight. Ready to fight or run.

The problem is though, there is no threat. No one is coming for you. You don't need to protect yourself. Then you realise it's all in your head and you're just acting weird.

I'm acting weird. *. People must have noticed. BANG! Heart goes, nerves shoot through your body like a lightning bolt. Trembling now. Eyes darting, sizing up every human in sight. Ready to fight or run.

So there's a small sample of exposure. I'm not very articulate so I'm not sure it does it justice, but it's bloody hard.

You know what though? I'm handling it better every time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back