Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to share something beautiful born of a tragedy.

It's difficult when you're doing it tough, but you'd be amazed at just how many people love you. Sadly it can take a tragedy to uncover the depth of just how much people care.

The following was recorded yesterday prior to the Devonport vs Latrobe Women's Fixture, the men's teams in attendance also asked if they could participate as they loved her also.

If you're feeling down, speak to someone, it can be the most difficult thing you ever do, but its the first step to getting better. If you feel you can't talk to a relative or friend there are numerous charity organizations that spread the word and are always there to lend an ear or educate surrounding the often difficult topic of Depression, anxiety and suicide prevention. These include charities such as Lifeline, SPEAK UP! Stay ChatTY and the Black Dog Institute.

Shared with the permission of the recorder as well as direct family.

Be

It's difficult when you're doing it tough, but you'd be amazed at just how many people love you. Sadly it can take a tragedy to uncover the depth of just how much people care.

The following was recorded yesterday prior to the Devonport vs Latrobe Women's Fixture, the men's teams in attendance also asked if they could participate as they loved her also.

If you're feeling down, speak to someone, it can be the most difficult thing you ever do, but its the first step to getting better. If you feel you can't talk to a relative or friend there are numerous charity organizations that spread the word and are always there to lend an ear or educate surrounding the often difficult topic of Depression, anxiety and suicide prevention. These include charities such as Lifeline, SPEAK UP! Stay ChatTY and the Black Dog Institute.

A lovely tribute, thanks for sharing DP.

Nice post DP.......stuff like this, keeps life real.

A few months after that pic I got one of him and me holding that Cup.

Sits pride of place above my desktop.

The only gold cup in history.

And every year, with every type of post such as this above, do I realise how lucky I was to be in that picture with a truly inspirational man.

Yep big tick for this thread DarkPhoenix.

I lost the plot earlier this year (hence rightly removed from here etc) but medication and fitness has been awesome.

Just need to find the right Dr - person i went to is/was an idiot, but much more impressed with new 'Nurse practitioner'. So understanding/caring/helpful, and I'm obviously just one of her many patients.

Not great not wanting to go to sleep, to just have to wake up and go through it all again :thumbsdown:

If anyone is struggling out there accept it (don't fight it) and go and seek help, and if not happy with your care, don't hesitate to move to a new practice - best thing I've done and hope helps anyone struggling a bit :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Read last 3 pages of this thread and never thanked people for their kind words and for that I'm terribly sorry.

Also DP i hope you are going strong matey.
Doing okay mate. Couple of set backs but gradually getting there. Hope all is well in your world.

As saintly said above one of the hardest things is being dead tired when you go to bed and waking up somehow feeling more tired. Has made it impossible for me to work recently.

Am currently waiting to see the doctor about the possibility of also having sleep apnoea which would compound the issue ten fold

Doing okay mate. Couple of set backs but gradually getting there. Hope all is well in your world.

As saintly said above one of the hardest things is being dead tired when you go to bed and waking up somehow feeling more tired. Has made it impossible for me to work recently.

Same. It ****ing sucked.

I'd be really tired after day at work, housework etc, sleep more than enough hours.......to wake up with less energy than went to bed.

Mate i can't help, but i know for a fact getting pretty fit (not like i used to be, but still) has made a huge difference.

If not off to Zap etc give it a try, and if you are take it a day at a time :thumbsu:

Yep big tick for this thread DarkPhoenix
If anyone is struggling out there accept it (don't fight it) and go and seek help, and if not happy with your care, don't hesitate to move to a new practice - best thing I've done and hope helps anyone struggling a bit :thumbsu:
Really good point, Saintly. Its a hard thing to do when seeking help itself can already be such a big step for many but finding practitioners that are able and respectful is so crucial. You don't have to stick with the first GP/therapist/psychiatrist you come across. Recover is so much about belief and if you have a lot of worry you're not getting effective care it can stall your recovery.

Am currently waiting to see the doctor about the possibility of also having sleep apnoea which would compound the issue ten fold
That's good mate, hopefully the doctor can sort something out.

I myself have been seeing a shrink about my anxiety disorder. I refuse to go onto the anti-anxiety drugs, but talking about the issue has helped. Always an uphill battle.

I myself have been seeing a shrink about my anxiety disorder. I refuse to go onto the anti-anxiety drugs, but talking about the issue has helped. Always an uphill battle.

Further to this, I want to reiterate that if anyone has any issues please speak up.
And for those who know of others struggling, please seek out those you know who are going through a hard patch and just touch base as a minimum.
K4 and I have been talking about these things of recent time.

I'd like to add that while I am fortunate enough to not be a sufferer (ive had a close call or two) that if someone close to you is suffering from an anxiety disorder or depression, be patient as * with them. It can be a long, difficult process and your advice and help may not seem to make a lick of difference. But it does. Juat being there for them helps. So keep at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to add that while I am fortunate enough to not be a sufferer (ive had a close call or two) that if someone close to you is suffering from an anxiety disorder or depression, be patient as **** with them. It can be a long, difficult process and your advice and help may not seem to make a lick of difference. But it does. Juat being there for them helps. So keep at it.

Cannot stress this enough, mate of mine keeps going "Just get a job, you'll be right", just makes me feel shitter each time. People need to understand

Cannot stress this enough, mate of mine keeps going "Just get a job, you'll be right", just makes me feel shitter each time. People need to understand
Yep, that attitude just doesn't address the issues. The way i look at it is that keeping at it keeps the sufferer from falling further until they are strong enough to start picking themselves up.

Tell him to stop because it's obviously doing more harm. I don't blame your mate tbh because lot of people don't know how to be there for someone with these issues. Until few years i was borderline clueless myself ... probably even ignorant.

Also different people react different ways. I know for me work done heaps of good. 4 times a week for 12 hours each time it helped me get my mind of all the crap.

Tell him to stop because it's obviously doing more harm. I don't blame your mate tbh because lot of people don't know how to be there for someone with these issues. Until few years i was borderline clueless myself ... probably even ignorant.

Also different people react different ways. I know for me work done heaps of good. 4 times a week for 12 hours each time it helped me get my mind of all the crap.

That. Most people don't know what to do or how to help and can * up easily but if you tell them what you need they will at least make an effort to try and help. Often the people who resist what you say have issues of their own they haven't got the strength to face yet. They probably aren't good for you but ... you can't blame them and if they aren't ready to ask for help or face their demons nothing anyone else does will help them. if you have to be away from people like that try not to blame them and be bitter.

I have PTSD, to a degree. Its a prick of a thing when it hits you. I say to a degree cos I know/knew people who really get/got ****ed up by it, people who've seen and been thru far worse than I have and cop it far harder too. I'm lucky, I've got a good support network, also have a bit a resiliance and learned a few things that help sometimes.

I've never suffered anxiety, I'm very confident socially etc, depression/feeling down is always knocking on my door though and it's a battle keeping her out.

Alcohol makes it worse, and i've cut back but given up Caffeine completely over a year ago - been huge for me, no longer butterfly feelings in tummy, feeling "edgy" etc.

My sister (in Melbs) is opposite to me - no depression but massive anxiety. Struggles on public transport, gets off at random spots due to massive sweating when people look at her etc - her anxiety medication has really helped though, so worth considering, even if just a short course.

Just try not to become reliant on medication, rather health improvement (gym, diet, hobbies etc) overall with a bit of extra support.

Just my 2 cents on life experience (I'm 36), feel free to ignore as everyone is different :thumbsu:

Unfortunately there are people out there who can't or won't understand, because it's too far removed from what they're used to experiencing in their day to day life.

I've tried to have the "Look, you need to stop saying stuff like that because it just makes me feel worse" convo, but it doesn't seem to strike home, there's always a deflection and indication of not understanding regardless of how many times I try and explain it.

The most recent one was a suggestion that I force myself into as many social situations as possible because "it worked for this guy I work with", had to explain that while it was nice that it worked for that guy, 98% of social anxiety sufferers could not even dream of immersion therapy, it goes against the whole definition of the disorder.

I don't blame him, he doesn't experience it day to day so he doesn't know how debilitating it is, but I'd really like him to stop pressuring me into doing things I'm not ready for. And I won't ever flat out say "look, stop" because I worry that I'd lose a friendship that is so helpful to me in other areas of my anxiety.

Unfortunately there are people out there who can't or won't understand, because it's too far removed from what they're used to experiencing in their day to day life.

I've tried to have the "Look, you need to stop saying stuff like that because it just makes me feel worse" convo, but it doesn't seem to strike home, there's always a deflection and indication of not understanding regardless of how many times I try and explain it.

The most recent one was a suggestion that I force myself into as many social situations as possible because "it worked for this guy I work with", had to explain that while it was nice that it worked for that guy, 98% of social anxiety sufferers could not even dream of immersion therapy, it goes against the whole definition of the disorder.

I don't blame him, he doesn't experience it day to day so he doesn't know how debilitating it is, but I'd really like him to stop pressuring me into doing things I'm not ready for. And I won't ever flat out say "look, stop" because I worry that I'd lose a friendship that is so helpful to me in other areas of my anxiety.
Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy is confronting as hell due to the source of my anxiety issues.

Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy is confronting as hell due to the source of my anxiety issues.

Same. I've been trying to do a bit of it this week. Very, very hard to get through.

I need to do something though because my medication can get the better of me. I have memory issues (which is especially hard with work).

The last few days have left me pretty edgy.

Same. I've been trying to do a bit of it this week. Very, very hard to get through.

I need to do something though because my medication can get the better of me. I have memory issues (which is especially hard with work).

The last few days have left me pretty edgy.

Try and be as fit as you can mate. (And i know don't like me)

I also had massive memory loss (hence deleted from here by being a *wit and responding to nasty posts), i also had "we told you yesterday about that Chris" and i hadn't been drinking, just not engaged mentally at all.

I'm supposed to be a lawyer. It's ****ing hard but lets all try our best and go from there :thumbsu:

Try and be as fit as you can mate. (And i know don't like me)

I also had massive memory loss (hence deleted from here by being a *wit and responding to nasty posts), i also had "we told you yesterday about that Chris" and i hadn't been drinking, just not engaged mentally at all.

I'm supposed to be a lawyer. It's ****ing hard but lets all try our best and go from there :thumbsu:

Yeah exercise is good, no doubt about that.

Main side effect I've had is extreme dizziness the next day if I miss a dose due to being out etc.

Memory loss seems a pretty extreme side effect, I'd be speaking with your doctor about changing your medication (theres heaps of different ones out there).

I'm on Fluvoxamine Maleate (Luvox) which can be used to treat not only Social Anxiety but also Depression and OCD, but there's stuff like Zoloft, etc that may be better for others.

Main side effect I've had is extreme dizziness the next day if I miss a dose due to being out etc.

Memory loss seems a pretty extreme side effect, I'd be speaking with your doctor about changing your medication (theres heaps of different ones out there).

I'm on Fluvoxamine Maleate (Luvox) which can be used to treat not only Social Anxiety but also Depression and OCD, but there's stuff like Zoloft, etc that may be better for others.
Some people can have serious adverse effects from long term exposure to certain meds. I know of a case where cymbalta build up caused severe fybromyalgia/cfs symptoms combined with insomnia. Because these effects of the drug didn't commence until a year or so after use commenced the sufferer didn't put two and two together until almost a decade later, at which point work and normal day to day life had been impossible for years. Most doctors just scoffed at the idea it was the drug but sure enough, after the serious withdrawal side effects subsided so too did the other symptoms.

So yeah, if folk need meds, watch em closely and monitor the effects. Just another complexity for people who don't need it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back