Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

Acknowledging and talking about it are your first big steps and well done. Having suffered from both issues for over 25 years l know how hard things must be but you have taken that first step and it will take time. Unlike yourself l was lucky in that my workplace understands what l'm going through and are helping. Good luck and l hope things work out for you.

Great OP DP!!! I don't suffer from any of these afflictions but know what it's like to feel really down and out.... So I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to feel like that all the time. The bravery you have shown by putting yourself out there, is just so damn admirable! I'd love to have a beer with you in Saturday night if you are going??
Unfortunately live in Hobart mate :)

Thanks for sharing you're story DP also props for having the courage to do so.
I agree wholeheartedly regarding anxiety/depression as a silent killer.

I've had my own battles with anxiety (among other issues) in recent years (made a thread of bigfooty about it somewhere)
I took some counselling and ultimately the anti-depressant route which i've just weened myself off.
Long road but any anxiety i have now is more manageable, unlike the full blown panic attacks i used to get at work.

Could i hazard a guess that you're old job was a retail store of some sort?
''Unrealistic expectations'' rang true to me in my job as well.
They sound like dicks you are better off leaving them.

Could i hazard a guess that you're old job was a retail store of some sort?
''Unrealistic expectations'' rang true to me in my job as well.
I worked in a complaints department (call centre based) where my customer resolution was judged by how much i could sell to people who wanted to leave the company.

From someone on here daily who basically never posts for pretty much the exact reason you outlined i.e. caught in a constant loop of over-analysing every little thing to the point of not being able to act on anything and then worrying over and over and over what others might think - man, you really struck a major chord!
Cheers. You have just helped somebody...:thumbsu:

Massive "RESPECT" DP! Like I said to you earlier, it takes a lot of guts to share what you've shared with us :thumbsu:

Hardly any of us probably know one another, but in this case, because of this board, I've got to meet and become friends with DP..... great bloke and a North Melbourne man thru and thru!!!

That's what I like about this board...... it's sense of "community". Sure we can get stuck in and stir the pot etc, but it's in most cases, it's all taken in jest (most cases) ;)

From someone on here daily who basically never posts for pretty much the exact reason you outlined i.e. caught in a constant loop of over-analysing every little thing to the point of not being able to act on anything and then worrying over and over and over what others might think - man, you really struck a major chord!
Cheers. You have just helped somebody...:thumbsu:
Bigfooty is basically one of the only places I have a vocal opinion because NMFC is something I'm incredibly passionate about.

It allows me to relatively anonymously (the only people I have on FB from here are BoomerRoo and Twinkletoes) express myself and engage in banter and discussion. It helps, I encourage you to post more often, its therapeutic.

Depression/ Anxiety is something that's close to my heart previously suffering from it myself, as well as some of my family/ friends. Its never easy speaking about this topic, but it warms me when I hear people speak up about it. I wish you nothing but the best with your recovery DarkPhoenix

DP as I have said on another thread our Board is a community and it's great you felt cool enough with us to share your story. That work s**t is typical - F*** them
I say - bad timing losing your relationship while you are going through this - The work of recovery is a process but it's worth it - you'll have good days and s**t days but you just have to keep looking at the stars mate

Good stuff DP! talking to anyone is the first step but a massive step! Lets kill the silent killer!

I barely ever post messages, but I read just about every post on this board. I love my footy, I love the club ..... but no win and no posts move me like the real life posts and threads from Dark Pheonix, Philly Roo and The Big Lebowski this year. There have been others in the past as well.

Thank you all for sharing, it helps me/us all grow and maintain perspective on life. Good luck as well, I think about TBL an PR and your situations every day - even though I don't know you personally. Dark Pheonix I will be thinking about you now. Sounds like you're on the right track.

We have some very special people and honest people here.

Thank you again for sharing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I barely ever post messages, but I read just about every post on this board. I love my footy, I love the club ..... but no win and no posts move me like the real life posts and threads from Dark Pheonix, Philly Roo and The Big Lebowski this year. There have been others in the past as well.

Thank you all for sharing, it helps me/us all grow and maintain perspective on life. Good luck as well, I think about TBL an PR and your situations every day - even though I don't know you personally. Dark Pheonix I will be thinking about you now. Sounds like you're on the right track.

We have some very special people and honest people here.

Thank you again for sharing.

Great post and one which echoes my thoughts exactly! Thank you also to the moderators of the NM Board as I strongly believe their tireless work greatly contributes towards making this a 'safe' community where people feel confident to share their personal experiences, both good and bad. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

You're a very brave dude DP. I hope everything goes well for you buddy.

I'm sure we all go through levels of ups and downs in life. I love the footy and soccer. Watching my clubs allows me to forget about 's**t' for a few hours a week. I really get engrossed at games, not loud or feral but really engrossed. I use BF and other soccer forums as a form of entertainment and laughter.
I've now been at home for 4 months now(going stir crazy) after a serious car accident earlier this year. Can get out and about but can't return to work yet. Has caused me a lot of stress and sleepless nights thinking the 'what ifs', however I have a great family network and a really good bunch of friends who have helped a lot and are quick to remind me that I'm doing fine and you'll be back to normal soon. People do generally care so don't be afraid to ask for help and use resources at your disposal when times get tough everyone. Go North.

Thanks DP for initiating this conversation!

Anxiety and body image issues have long been thought of as issues common with females, but what is becoming apparent is these issues are also common amongst men of all ages.

Look in any gym, sporting team, workplace or public setting and you're bound to stumble upon someone who suffers from the above on some level.

Part of the male way has been to keep these things secret and that only makes things worse, hence the term silent killer.

I implore those suffering to speak out or seek help where required, just as DP has and others have done before him.

Congrats on having the courage to tell people your storey. Perhaps it will remind people on here (some people who have replied favourably to this post included), that we are all human beings and have our challenges and that personal attacks of other forum members, players and coaching staff may well not be good for their mental health.

not my board but just want to say well done dp to getting the help you need and i hope everything is well from this point forward. can relate to a lot of your issues anyway don't want to ramble but well done on having the courage to speak out

Panic attacks are the worst. I suffered my first one at 30 years of age and thought I was having an actual heart attack at the time. I thought it was the end. I've had one since and had shocking anxiety (all the physical symptoms for a whole 2 months) until I was put on medication which got rid of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back