Health Depression

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lockdown yay. I guess I should be happy. I can chill and sleep in and hide. And sleep in.
But what if I want to talk with people hang chill or god forbid meet someone? Apparently that's wrong. We all can't decide things for ourselves.
I'm just lonely another Friday night but more bullshit.

MannumPower

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 15, 2006
Mannum
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Alberton Swamprats, Sunderland
Lockdown yay. I guess I should be happy. I can chill and sleep in and hide. And sleep in.
But what if I want to talk with people hang chill or god forbid meet someone? Apparently that's wrong. We all can't decide things for ourselves.
I don’t know if this is something you’re interested but on BigFooty there is a fantasy football competition called the SFA https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forums/the-sweet-f-a-sfa-fantasy-footy-league.30/

I’ve been a part of it for close on ten years I think. It’s a great community where we all play for fantasy football teams where we have simulated matches each week. For me it is a great outlet for my depression as it gets me talking ,giving sh*t to people and just having fun. There is also a group who have created a discord and on Friday nights we log on and chat and play game like cards against humanity.
like I said it’s been great for me and I have made some really good friends on there.

Hank Scorpion

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
I've been really trying to get out over the past few weeks to build up my confidence in social settings while flying solo. Was meant to use 2020 for this, with an eye to properly building myself a network here, outside of the office.

It's taken a lot of persistence, but am making progress. Feel a lot of that will get shredded if this drag on for weeks :/

HahnPremium

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thank you everyone. But call me crazy but I feel good. I need to do a few things and we're locked down again But the degenerate corrupt sleziods who run this state are on borrowed time.
Chin up spready. Sometimes when I feel down, I look around, and feel somewhat better observing the abject self-absorbed behaviour and self promoting fools and attention seekers with no inherent problems except a pathetic desire to be noticed. I laugh at them and feel better.
Horizons are powerful elements. Look for them. All the best mate.

Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
I've been really trying to get out over the past few weeks to build up my confidence in social settings while flying solo. Was meant to use 2020 for this, with an eye to properly building myself a network here, outside of the office.

It's taken a lot of persistence, but am making progress. Feel a lot of that will get shredded if this drag on for weeks :/
Well done mate, that takes guts. If it does get impeded at least you know you have what it takes to make progress though. You'll keep moving forward and upwards.

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Im not sure that free appointments are a thing? But with a mental health care plan, you can now get 20 appointments a calendar year, with a rebate of about $125...so if they charge $200, out of pocket is around $75.

The other thing to remember is if you're registered for the Medicare Safety Net, once you reach a certain amount of out of pocket costs for the year, the gap payments that you pay until the end of December is quite small. In saying that though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to pass the safety net threshold if you are a single person (ie. Its obviously a lot easier when there are multiple people on your Medicare card).
Yeah mine charges $250 and i get $118 back

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im not sure that free appointments are a thing? But with a mental health care plan, you can now get 20 appointments a calendar year, with a rebate of about $125...so if they charge $200, out of pocket is around $75.

The other thing to remember is if you're registered for the Medicare Safety Net, once you reach a certain amount of out of pocket costs for the year, the gap payments that you pay until the end of December is quite small. In saying that though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to pass the safety net threshold if you are a single person (ie. Its obviously a lot easier when there are multiple people on your Medicare card).
Only one not even a criticism but I don't think doctors get is not everyone is on their money and have other costs. Unfortunately you are spending money on treatment with no guarantee to work. A counsellor can talk and a psychiatrist can provide better stronger drugs to knock the edge off for a while but really is this medical/environment/situational/personality.

FWIW imo it is part genetic. Some people are just prone to it and succumb if a situation occurs to cause it. Can't speak for everyone thou but from memory i had issues with this sh*t as far back as 12. But can be fine for a few years before crashing. So really it's almost part of my character.

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's everyone doing today in lockdown anyway? I'm using it as an excuse to do SFA and sleep in. I really need a plan so I cope with this one but can't be fudged atm. Also given instructions and the set up required from work my guess is this will go > 5 days.

MannumPower

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 15, 2006
Mannum
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Only one not even a criticism but I don't think doctors get is not everyone is on their money and have other costs. Unfortunately you are spending money on treatment with no guarantee to work. A counsellor can talk and a psychiatrist can provide better stronger drugs to knock the edge off for a while but really is this medical/environment/situational/personality.

FWIW imo it is part genetic. Some people are just prone to it and succumb if a situation occurs to cause it. Can't speak for everyone thou but from memory i had issues with this sh*t as far back as 12. But can be fine for a few years before crashing. So really it's almost part of my character.
Could it be part of your character because you’re allowing it to be? It could be genetic but it could also reoccur when you allow it to, when you’re not mentally strong. By saying it’s part of your character you’re basically saying you’ll always have it and as such you’ll never beat it. This is exactly what I do and am trying to stop it myself. You are self talking that you will always feel depressed at some stage. I feel you and me are very similar because so much of what you say and how you actually say things is exactly how I’ve say it.
If you stopped thinking about depression would you even be depressed ????
Keep fighting mate we’re all in this together

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could it be part of your character because you’re allowing it to be? It could be genetic but it could also reoccur when you allow it to, when you’re not mentally strong. By saying it’s part of your character you’re basically saying you’ll always have it and as such you’ll never beat it. This is exactly what I do and am trying to stop it myself. You are self talking that you will always feel depressed at some stage. I feel you and me are very similar because so much of what you say and how you actually say things is exactly how I’ve say it.
If you stopped thinking about depression would you even be depressed ????
Keep fighting mate we’re all in this together
Always be prone to it would be better worded. Just like some are prone to sunburn, flu, weight gain etc.

MannumPower

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 15, 2006
Mannum
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Always be prone to it would be better worded. Just like some are prone to sunburn, flu, weight gain etc.
And then I ask why are they prone to these things? A lot of people like myself are prone to weight issues because they are not mentally strong enough to stay the course. I get that some people are naturally prone to things but I’m not sure how often depression falls into that category. It’s like your just accepting that’s how it is, when it doesn’t have to be that way. My wife always tells me I have excuses for everything and I do but it doesn’t make my excuses right it just makes me feel better for not fighting something I can win with the right attitude

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On the whole cost of psychologists thing - I'd encourage people not to rule out treatment because they can't afford it.

Persevere with your GP and services like Beyond Blue. If you are in genuine financial need, they will find someone who will treat you for nil or significantly reduced cost on a MHCP (even if their practice says officially that they don't bulk bill).

If your condition is bad enough, you may also be eligible for funding through the NDIS.

We're not America - if you need the help, there are always avenues to get it. Keep trying until you find one.

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the whole cost of psychologists thing - I'd encourage people not to rule out treatment because they can't afford it.

Persevere with your GP and services like Beyond Blue. If you are in genuine financial need, they will find someone who will treat you for nil or significantly reduced cost on a MHCP (even if their practice says officially that they don't bulk bill).

If your condition is bad enough, you may also be eligible for funding through the NDIS.

We're not America - if you need the help, there are always avenues to get it. Keep trying until you find one.
While I agree the system is swamped at the moment. You might be in desperate need of intervention but you have to wait. And even then you may not jell with the person treating and it goes to hell.
This isn't the AFL where you can hit pause for a month and check in to rehab (and good on those for doing so) but not everyone can access those things due to costs or access.
Almost feel your own your own. And if that's the case fine but everyone (not you) then needs to stop with all the advertising and let everyone be.
This board is actually great as you can post openly. I mean I have plans and goals but they hit a wall due to mental and physical health issues and a sh*t living environment ATM

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Nice day today. Get out in the garden and tidy up a bit. Pull out some weeds. You'll feel better after.
I went down the beach before LD began (I had to drive back one day early). Went shopping, bought my mum and dad some nice dark chocolate raspberries. You (well I do) feel great giving small random gifts to ppl.

Re. gardening fu** that. I'd hate that hahahah. Im glad i dont have a garden to take care of. :sneaky:

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Got some over the counter sleeping tablets today and some natural supplements as well which will hopefully help with my shitty sleeping patterns at the moment
My psych gave me a prescription for sleeping tablets- something idk. 2mg.

I find tho after chatting to him about it, suddenly my sleep has kind of gotten better since. Instead of 4 hours a night, its 6 hours now. And one night a few days back i slept a solid 7+!

Im going to hold off from filling the script.

Macca19

Jan 14, 2001
Albertr0n
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC, Orlando Magic
My psych gave me a prescription for sleeping tablets- something idk. 2mg.

I find tho after chatting to him about it, suddenly my sleep has kind of gotten better since. Instead of 4 hours a night, its 6 hours now. And one night a few days back i slept a solid 7+!

Im going to hold off from filling the script.
Nice. I took one Sunday night and had my first 7 hour unbroken sleep for probably 5 years.

Shell

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Nice. I took one Sunday night and had my first 7 hour unbroken sleep for probably 5 years.
Did you have any side effects?

I remember taking my first ever one at a camp (im a light sleeper and was sharing a room with 8 ppl- guys and girls)- and woke up legit with one of the worst headaches in my life.

I've been reluctant to take them ever since.

Hmmm probs should have mentioned that to my psych.
/I ended up taking 3 panadols, and it barely took the edge off that headache.

Cuzz09

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I went down the beach before LD began (I had to drive back one day early). Went shopping, bought my mum and dad some nice dark chocolate raspberries. You (well I do) feel great giving small random gifts to ppl.

Re. gardening fu** that. I'd hate that hahahah. Im glad i dont have a garden to take care of. :sneaky:
my point was if you complete a task or feel like you get a few things done in a day you feel a lot better.

Macca19

Jan 14, 2001
Albertr0n
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC, Orlando Magic

I remember taking my first ever one at a camp (im a light sleeper and was sharing a room with 8 ppl- guys and girls)- and woke up legit with one of the worst headaches in my life.

Its only an over the counter one so nothing too heavy in it. The active ingredient is used in cold and flu medicadtion so was just like taking a couple of those. Was drowsy for half an hour then good as gold. Not something ill take every night but once or twice a week should help

Im gonna look into melatonin next.

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Took a whole pack once and slept for 3 days. And yet my partner at the time coulnd't have given the slightest flying fu**.

Remove this Banner Ad