Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone see a psychologist and does anyone walk out of the psychologist's feeling like you're a complete nutcase?

Struggling. Family ive been bad. Alcohol isnt helping. Im a teacher of high school students. Mentaly under pressure. Need to feel better.

I'm a high school teacher too. I hear ya. I've taken emergent long service leave for mental health reasons.

Does anyone see a psychologist and does anyone walk out of the psychologist's feeling like you're a complete nutcase?
I had a few sessions and I got the feeling he wasn’t interested in listening to me and wanted a quick fix. I guess telling someone all your problems can make you feel like you’ve got a lot to deal with.

I had a few sessions and I got the feeling he wasn’t interested in listening to me and wanted a quick fix. I guess telling someone all your problems can make you feel like you’ve got a lot to deal with.

I have the opposite problem. She's too interested. I went to her purely to talk about what's happening at school and she is asking me all about my childhood.

I have the opposite problem. She's too interested. I went to her purely to talk about what's happening at school and she is asking me all about my childhood.
Oh right , yeah well I can see that being an issue. I guess they like to get a background on you as sometimes the problems you are currently dealing with could potentially have root causes elsewhere. For me I suffered childhood emotional neglect and this has had a major bearing on my ability to deal with emotions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone used Mitazapine? Been on it 2 weeks don’t feel any better.

I used it for 3-4 months to deal with insomnia, started relying on the Mirtaz to fall asleep. I've been off it for 3 months, sleeping great and feel great. Didn't have much of an impact for me mentally but did help me get into a good mindset and get my insomnia under control.

I had a knee reco during the time I was on Mirtazapine and I'm sure it helped in a way coping with it all.

Last week has easily been the worst of my entire life. Breaking down sobbing each day, have turned into an absolute headcase
It’s ok to do it, shows your human. I’ve done it recently too there is no shame in showing emotions. Are you getting any support?

Last week has easily been the worst of my entire life. Breaking down sobbing each day, have turned into an absolute headcase
Hope it gets better
I went through a stage like that earlier this year
It was bloody horrible and I felt helpless.
Feeling better now .
I Try not to let myself get so stressed and overloaded with work and I exercise outdoors whenever I can

Unfortunately I think the next "pandemic" to hit Australia will be depression-related caused by cost of living pressures and in particular interest rates increasing. I think the full effect of the interest rate rises will have dramatic effect in about 12-18 months, with a resulting demand for mental health services and people/families reaching crisis point.

I personally have been feeling particularly anxious and depressed the last 2 or 3 weeks as I contemplate my family's financial position and capacity to keep in front with mortgage payments.

But as a society I reckon we'll feel the full effects in the next year or 2.

Unfortunately I think the next "pandemic" to hit Australia will be depression-related caused by cost of living pressures and in particular interest rates increasing. I think the full effect of the interest rate rises will have dramatic effect in about 12-18 months, with a resulting demand for mental health services and people/families reaching crisis point.

I personally have been feeling particularly anxious and depressed the last 2 or 3 weeks as I contemplate my family's financial position and capacity to keep in front with mortgage payments.

But as a society I reckon we'll feel the full effects in the next year or 2.

Yep. As someone in my mid 20s, hard not to be bitter about it too. If I was born 10 years earlier I'd be halfway to paying off a house by now.

It's a constant struggle.
My employers pay for 3 sessions a year - I normally use at least 2.
Being isolated in QLD away from family who live down south is tough - only see them once a year since COVID happened (my parents are retired).
Getting regular physicals is key - i get yearly blood tests to check my kidneys, liver, BSI, testosterone, oxygen etc.

Thoughts on weed?

Considering quitting I'm feeling fine just never do anything lol
not something I have personal experience with but my brother commented similar - it made him feel okay about doing nothing with his life

Once he stopped using he was sort of forced to deal with the realities of his situation, and the underlying problems that caused him to end up there. Those problems were made a lot harder to manage by the fact that his weed use had allowed them to fester for so long.

So I would probably say you need to have an honest conversation with yourself about whether you’re using weed to paper over anything that you don’t like about where you’re at

If yes, then getting rid of it is probably a good idea

I do nothing sober too lol but point taken definitely daytime is silly solves nothing
For sure, it's not about the weed physically stopping you doing stuff - my brother was a fully functional human being. He held down jobs, he had a social life. He is good looking and funny, people have always gravitated to him and he has never had any trouble getting girls.

It's just that there was also a bunch of stuff that he didn't like about his life - he worked shitty jobs that he hated, he was always broke, his close friends were growing up and moving on, he couldn't make a relationship stick.

We've all been there - myself included. For most of us, we get depressed and hit a breaking point and make a change.

In my brother's case, he just chilled out and smoked weed for 10-15 years. It relaxed him and killed the hours, he could light up a bowl and play video games or binge TV and not think too much about the shitty stuff. He still got depressed, it just took him longer to bottom out and things were a lot worse by the time he got there.

Now he's trying to make the change, which is tough - not only because he's older, but because he was so reliant on using weed to turn off his emotions and thoughts that his resilience and other coping mechanisms are pretty underdeveloped.

Not saying his experience is universal, mind you - but I do think weed is a bit insidious for people in his situation

Last edited:
not something I have personal experience with but my brother commented similar - it made him feel okay about doing nothing with his life

Once he stopped using he was sort of forced to deal with the realities of his situation, and the underlying problems that caused him to end up there. Those problems were made a lot harder to manage by the fact that his weed use had allowed them to fester for so long.

So I would probably say you need to have an honest conversation with yourself about whether you’re using weed to paper over anything that you don’t like about where you’re at

If yes, then getting rid of it is probably a good idea
Weed is perhaps not as bad as booze but it does nothing good for people mentally, anyone that says it's completely harmless is an idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back