Health Depression

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Everyone seems so confident these days, and socially too, it’s good obviously for them, but you go out and not only that, most people seem so body confident and physiologically stable these days as well, it’s almost like the year 2016 came along and people became better looking and more interesting or something like that. It’s like the nerdy guys turned into Chads and women turned even more super stylish and athletic. I don’t recall noticing this so much 15-20-25 years ago. But back then we didn’t have smart phones, social media, big population and other aspects too.

Meanwhile I just feel like a nerdy, generic, boring dude who hangs off his overly pretentious tastes in music, spends too much time gaming and revels in self loathing and solitude or something I can’t really even describe all that well. Anyway.

Does anything make any sense? I’m not so sure.

On one hand it’s good on the other hand it’s also overwhelming, intimidating and hard to not be envious I guess.

People who effortlessly cool and have great lives, man they’re lucky.
I actually think (and this is by no means a slight on you) people now are alot less comparative. Weve had it drummed into us for so long not to compare to others (especially instagram, curated lifestyles) that most people are just happy being the best version of themselves instead of a shitty version of someone else.

On the bolded there are very very very few people actually like that, it may look like its effortless but its almost certainly not. Good lives much like relationships are work, they just dont appear to be so from the outside. Focus on you and your happiness first, the rest will come.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually think (and this is by no means a slight on you) people now are alot less comparative. Weve had it drummed into us for so long not to compare to others (especially instagram, curated lifestyles) that most people are just happy being the best version of themselves instead of a shitty version of someone else.

On the bolded there are very very very few people actually like that, it may look like its effortless but its almost certainly not. Good lives much like relationships are work, they just dont appear to be so from the outside. Focus on you and your happiness first, the rest will come.
That's the thing thou. Good lives and relationships come easy for some and not for others. Life is hard.
To use an analogy my doctor thought I was insane but
Picture an obese 100kg overweight person
And an elite athlete

Ask them to jog a lap of an oval. The athlete will do it easy. The other will nearly keel over.
I'm not the athlete.
Well existing in society exhausts me. I have the same genetic issue just mentally. And while I try and function it's all beyond me

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do you really ever get over depression, this shits with you for life no matter what you do
Really depends on the type, I think

I don’t think anything is preordained - at one point I was told I would probably be on antidepressants for life, but I’ve been off them with great success for a very long time now

I’m thankful not to be permanently medicated but if I had to go back on it, I wouldn’t see it as the end of my chances of being happy and fulfilled

This too shall pass...
I don’t think so, there is no cure. You can’t erase the horrible things you’ve done that have led to where you are now. Depression is my punishment.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you really ever get over depression, this shits with you for life no matter what you do
Yeah pretty much. You're probably just sensitive to the world. And genetics.
I myself remember myself been totally screwed up at 13 even more till 17-28 than just sort of bubbled along.
Now I'm on and off but annoyed at my injury now which won't heal which has left me out of shape and putting on too much weight.
Point is yeah your mindset is stuck but you can still have goals and dreams that make it worth it. And a great day is worth 1000 million s**t ones
Mine
Getting a job
Heading overseas multiple times (didn't travel much till 30+)
Skydiving + Bungy + rafting
Now even a nice day on the beach and hit of golf.
Live your life your way. (Only advice = ease off the booze and drugs. Especially booze. Extraordinary difficult to shake)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's the thing thou. Good lives and relationships come easy for some and not for others. Life is hard.
To use an analogy my doctor thought I was insane but
Picture an obese 100kg overweight person
And an elite athlete

Ask them to jog a lap of an oval. The athlete will do it easy. The other will nearly keel over.
I'm not the athlete.
Well existing in society exhausts me. I have the same genetic issue just mentally. And while I try and function it's all beyond me
I can assure you that with the exception of a very very select few lives do not come easy for most.

I cop this from mates all the time "you make it look so easy" yeh thats cool but it ignores the 15 years of working my ass off to get my career, the weekly check ins with my wife to make sure were both doing okay (these are such an important part of successful relationships that people dont do), the daily exercise (that sometimes i dont want to do) the schedule to make sure i check in with mates, planning catch ups weeks or months in advance. Even something like a holiday with the family, people think it all just falls into place but thats because it was planned, pre gamed and executed.

Trust me, nothing is as easy for others as you might think it is, just because you dont always see the work doesnt mean it isnt happening.

In 3 months i've gone from seperating from my wife, being overweight and growing, not exercising for years, comfort eating daily, abusing sleeping tablets & other pills, in a complete mental fog daily to losing over 8kg, stopped all comfort eating & snacking, stopped taking any pills, eating significantly healthier, exercising daily - really pushing myself physically to become who I want to be (15-20km walk/runs 4-5 days a week + less on other days) which has had the flow on effect of really releasing my mind. I haven't had this much focus and clarity in my brain for well over a decade. Meditating daily which has also helped.

Will I crash at some point? Absolutely. But I know I will overcome whatever my brain will throw at me!

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can assure you that with the exception of a very very select few lives do not come easy for most.

I cop this from mates all the time "you make it look so easy" yeh thats cool but it ignores the 15 years of working my ass off to get my career, the weekly check ins with my wife to make sure were both doing okay (these are such an important part of successful relationships that people dont do), the daily exercise (that sometimes i dont want to do) the schedule to make sure i check in with mates, planning catch ups weeks or months in advance. Even something like a holiday with the family, people think it all just falls into place but thats because it was planned, pre gamed and executed.

Trust me, nothing is as easy for others as you might think it is, just because you dont always see the work doesnt mean it isnt happening.
I get all that. I'm talking more every day tasks like getting out of bed and trying to function. I'm injured at the minute and sleep deprived for a month so not thinking clearly. Even speaking to people can be hard.
Also losing some fitness and putting in a little weight as a result.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Re the surfing.. can you maybe do other things water related? Eg. paddle boarding, or kayaking?
That's fun. And someone told me the same thing the other day. I might get one off gumtree or eBay and hit the bay when I'm down.
Only thing is need to keep working and I will (but I will no longer deal with insults degredation and *******s) if I have to go through long term unemployment again so be it. I'll import start a business or wing it. No way in hell am I putting up with bullshit ever again

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Amazing how 1 bad day throws everything out.
Regardless I don't know if depression is genetic mental illness (I'm faking it as have been told in the past) a loss of perspective situational or generational differences. Or just is.
All I can say is take care and don't put up with bullshit

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Weeks been good but still upset.
I just don't relate to things how I should not do I have any mental endurance.
I'm nearly 40 now and need to push on but it's getting beyond me.
Maybe I go mid life crisis but rather the traditional meltdown just piss off overseas

I’ve been self harming as a means of dealing with what Ive done in the past. I’ve made serious mistakes and hurt people but I’ve never felt I’ve been properly punished for what I’ve done. I know I shouldn’t do it, I’m not a teenager going through a phase ffs im Middle aged, but the pain actually makes me feel something because most of the tim I feel numb. Beyond blue is a joke, psychs are a joke, this is the only thing that makes me feel better and it’s only temporary and it’s embarrassing as hell ☹️.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve been self harming as a means of dealing with what Ive done in the past. I’ve made serious mistakes and hurt people but I’ve never felt I’ve been properly punished for what I’ve done. I know I shouldn’t do it, I’m not a teenager going through a phase ffs im Middle aged, but the pain actually makes me feel something because most of the tim I feel numb. Beyond blue is a joke, psychs are a joke, this is the only thing that makes me feel better and it’s only temporary and it’s embarrassing as hell ☹️.
True but unless you're talking dead body serious here everything is fixable.
Doesn't feel like it right now but we all just roll on

True but unless you're talking dead body serious here everything is fixable.
Doesn't feel like it right now but we all just roll on
It’s not fixable once you made the mistake. You gotta live with that decision forever. I do keep rolling on but I’m over it.

aussiefooty

Carn the mighty roos!
I reneged on a bet or agreement :( Chess Club Member
Jun 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos Geelong
Please seek some help. Talking about what is making you depressed and making you harm yourself.
I want to see more of your artwork.
❤️

Please seek some help. Talking about what is making you depressed and making you harm yourself.
I want to see more of your artwork.
❤️
I’ve sought help and got no where, beyond blue is an absolute waste of time. I haven’t painted for almost a year, completely lost interest.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
I’ve sought help and got no where, beyond blue is an absolute waste of time. I haven’t painted for almost a year, completely lost interest.
I've always wondered what these places like Beyond Blue and Lifeline actually do. What do they say? Just go see a Dr?

aussiefooty

Carn the mighty roos!
I reneged on a bet or agreement :( Chess Club Member
Jun 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos Geelong
Please go to your GP and get a mental care plan. Then speak to a psychologist to help get what's hurting you off your mind and chest.
Your paintings are unreal and show how talented you are. But you are letting Depression overtake your special interest.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hang in there
One day at a time
Do one nice thing a day that has nothing to do with people :
Watch a sunset
Walk in the bush
Go for a swim

The earth is unbelievable and we have one life on it
Don’t throw it away
People are pains in the ass generally and truly are a blight on this wonderful planet but even they are capable of kindness and wonder

Stay strong
Positive thing is it’s going to be footy season soon so that will help .😁
Port are still in with a chance , you just need to get rid of Dixon I reckon .

Please go to your GP and get a mental care plan. Then speak to a psychologist to help get what's hurting you off your mind and chest.
Your paintings are unreal and show how talented you are. But you are letting Depression overtake your special interest.
I’ve had a mental health plan, I’ve seen a psychologist. Got told I just need to do things that make me happy. Beyond blue tells me I just have to forgive myself. I’m still having to pretend I’m ok to everyone to protect them from my problems And I’m just getting really tired.

Back