Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
At my blood test today started talking to the nurse about my Depression and Anxiety.

Even after she said she suffered from it to, and was very nice, I left there overthinking how she'll think I'm a pussy for my admission and how she'll laugh about it with the other nurse. That this guy, being a 6'3, fairly well built guy, how could he have it? It's the over-analyzing of every social interaction that is so unbelievably exhausting.

Maybe it stems from my co-workers who work in the hospital, talk about their friend's (nurses) PTSD and bipolar and behind their back says how they should get over it....other nurses talking about people 'snapping out of it' etc....it's like....am I really over analyzing if this attitude is still this prevalent...among healthcare workers of all people!
Most will not get it. Mostly just ignorance and lack of understanding and some are just arseholes.
Post here. I'm over the world ATM but trying out a few different things

I struggle with unexpected noise.
Like now. Can deal ok with the day but some tradie is round doing duck knows what which I knew nothing about and it's doing my head in.
Headphones? Try and listen to something that relaxes and calms you.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unless someone has had depression or a loved one or understands and has actually properly studied it at uni, most people lack the understanding of how depression and anxiety can effect your life in every single way.

I wouldnt worry or concern yourself over it.
This. I barely understand it myself.
Don't know. Is it genetic? Environmental? Age? Choices?
I don't know.
Problem I have is doctors etc don't really see me when I've had a meltdown.
So I go in asked awkard questions and either I'm dismissed as faking and/or can't wait to get out of there

This. I barely understand it myself.
Don't know. Is it genetic? Environmental? Age? Choices?
I don't know.
Problem I have is doctors etc don't really see me when I've had a meltdown.
So I go in asked awkard questions and either I'm dismissed as faking and/or can't wait to get out of there

Use your phone.

By that I mean, when you are in position to write notes when you have a meltdown or dont word questions properly, use one of the apps to record notes on your phone and pull them out when you go for your consult. There is even apps you can use to record voice note messages if its too hard to write or make nots.

I actually did this years ago before apps and phones where used the way they are used today. By that I mean I had a Samsung Note, the original one and used the pen to write notes so I could communicate clearly with my doctor.

This way you have dot points of all the questions you need to ask. There is an app called To Do List, you can tick them off after you ask each question.

Everything’s getting too hard. I don’t know what else to say. I could write ten thousand words about how I’ve done what I think is right by others, or what I’ll perceive as what other people want for me, when now it hits me that I don’t want these things. I want what I had, can’t have it. I want to flee, not possible. I don’t want to share her anymore, I’m lost when she’s not here. The worst of it is I’ve done the right thing by committing to care for someone 10 nights a fortnight and that drags me away from my daughter, and when I do get back, there’s school and work and I see her for 2 hours before bed and 1 hour in the morning. I moved house and two months in I’m sleeping on the floor surrounded by boxes because I can’t be ****ed. I’m a ticking time bomb. Who cares, it’s my problem. I’ve gotta find my way up again. Friends don’t want to deal with it, not past a certain point. I’m trapped in a life I don’t want

I moved house and two months in I’m sleeping on the floor surrounded by boxes because I can’t be ducked. I’m a ticking time bomb. Who cares, it’s my problem. I’ve gotta find my way up again. Friends don’t want to deal with it, not past a certain point. I’m trapped in a life I don’t want

Im sorry to hear about your challenges and difficulties.

All I ask is for you to try and do just one "small" thing a day and build on that, over a few days and over next few weeks than months.

It can be as simple as just opening every box only as the first challenge on day 1. Then on day 2, maybe take out an item you may need to use out of the box. Just keep on keeping it easy, stick to doing just one or two things a day. If you have any momentum then sure do more, but try and stick to doing just one small thing each day.

Those small goals, do add up and build towards a bigger goal.

Stay strong and have faith in the process, it does work. I know, as things similarly have happened to me in the past.

Last edited:
Im sorry to hear about your challenges and difficulties.

All I ask is for you to try and do just one "small" thing a day and build on that, over a few days and over next few weeks than months.

It can be as simple as just opening every box only as the first challenge on day 1. Then on day 2, maybe take out an item you may need to use out of the box. Just keep on keeping it easy, stick to doing just one or two things a day. If you have any momentum then sure do more, but try and stick to doing just one small thing each day.

Those small goals, do add up and build towards a bigger goal.

Stay strong and have faith in the process, it does work. I know, as things similarly have happened to me in the past.
I actually got up feeling a bit better, maybe this little vent took a load off. Kinda helped that I had nowhere to be today. And I built my bed so that’s something!

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Well it’s been a year and 3 months since I started having therapy with a psychologist. Been going sometimes weekly , sometimes fortnightly. I’ve gone from someone who was deeply depressed with crippling anxiety, no self esteem, lots of self hatred and so one who believed that they were to blame for the all the abuse I’ve suffered to someone who believes in themself. I feel like im a kind, fantastic person who can achieve nearly anything.
The key is finding someone who you click with who understands you and who you trust.
You can do it too people.
It’s not about changing your circumstances, it’s about changing your mindset.

Then , things around you change.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
Well it’s been a year and 3 months since I started having therapy with a psychologist. Been going sometimes weekly , sometimes fortnightly. I’ve gone from someone who was deeply depressed with crippling anxiety, no self esteem, lots of self hatred and so one who believed that they were to blame for the all the abuse I’ve suffered to someone who believes in themself. I feel like im a kind, fantastic person who can achieve nearly anything.
The key is finding someone who you click with who understands you and who you trust.

Great to hear you found someone who can help you. Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others.

I've tried psychologists a few times but they haven't worked for me, unfortunately.

I have been with a psychiatrist who I believe is doing good for me. I am not cured but I have at least got to the point where I can sort of get by.

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Great to hear you found someone who can help you. Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others.

I've tried psychologists a few times but they haven't worked for me, unfortunately.

I have been with a psychiatrist who I believe is doing good for me. I am not cured but I have at least got to the point where I can sort of get by.
Keep trying you just haven’t found the right one for you. But Im glad you have made progress.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

This is great, well done. It cannot be overstated how brave it is to take the steps to help yourself and it deserves to be celebrated more.

Ive never met you but im really proud of you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I went on a holiday I never thought I'd ever do. Was awesome.
Aside from that I'm trying to compartmentalize.
Work is work but I do what needs doing.
Anything else I figure it's about setting goals and trying your best.
Fingers crossed but I think at nearly 40 I know myself now. What I stand for and what I won't do myself.
Life's not perfect and neither am I but I'll survive and do my best

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I went on a holiday I never thought I'd ever do. Was awesome.

Can you move to a new location???

Just a thought.
I know a quite a few people that were in a rut... depressed etc and they moved, changed things up and have not looked back.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Or book holidays way in advance. It gives you something to look forward to, hope and a sense of purpose.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can you move to a new location???

Just a thought.
I know a quite a few people that were in a rut... depressed etc and they moved, changed things up and have not looked back.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Or book holidays way in advance. It gives you something to look forward to, hope and a sense of purpose.
Definitely thinking about it.
Story of life up one min straight rock bottom the next. Is what it is and story of my life. When you're a certain disposition and personality type these things happen.
You don't fit the world it's time to put the big boy pants on live with my conditions and find my own niche. No other situation or person will change it.
I'm thinking more O seas maybe Europe travel new work and a move. Maybe Fold Coast??? Not enjoying Melbourne. Need more money thou. might take a punt.vfew juicy odds atm in sports betting

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Definitely thinking about it.
Story of life up one min straight rock bottom the next. Is what it is and story of my life. When you're a certain disposition and personality type these things happen.
You don't fit the world it's time to put the big boy pants on live with my conditions and find my own niche. No other situation or person will change it.
I'm thinking more O seas maybe Europe travel new work and a move. Maybe Fold Coast??? Not enjoying Melbourne. Need more money thou. might take a punt.vfew juicy odds atm in sports betting
Pm me if you ever want and to talk about Gold Coast as an option 👍

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
After yet another problem I've reached the unfortunate conclusion I'm simply incapable of working and working full time. I obviously have some weird personality disorder where I'll either be fired or kill myself with illness. Work simply is not worth it anymore
So what are the options?
Travel more than live on the streets?
Start a business?
Couch surf?
Sports betting?
I at least want to move somewhere warmer Or should I move countries?
But where?
I'm good for max 6 hours a day waking time than it all falls apart

Last edited:

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
After yet another problem I've reached the unfortunate conclusion I'm simply incapable of working and working full time. I obviously have some weird personality disorder where I'll either be fired or kill myself with illness. Work simply is not worth it anymore
So what are the options?
Travel more than live on the streets?
Start a business?
Couch surf?
Sports betting?
I at least want to move somewhere warmer Or should I move countries?
But where?
I'm good for max 6 hours a day waking time than it all falls apart

You don't need to work full time, if you're able to work 20-25 hours a week and live somewhere with a low cost of living you'll be able to get by. May be worth looking for a fully remote role with a reduced workload which allows you to manage and have fewer stresses in life. Plenty of entry level stuff going in the insurance space, feel free to DM if you're interested and I can point you in the right direction.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
You don't need to work full time, if you're able to work 20-25 hours a week and live somewhere with a low cost of living you'll be able to get by. May be worth looking for a fully remote role with a reduced workload which allows you to manage and have fewer stresses in life. Plenty of entry level stuff going in the insurance space, feel free to DM if you're interested and I can point you in the right direction.
Interesting could be worth a look. May change over in February. Insurance is something completely out of my field but everything is on the table now. Not sure how id go couldn't stand dealing with customers or management all day.
May pm later in the year and see what's available

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is no mental health care in this country. There is only so much money you can spend, how many jobs you can have, how much debt you can go into and so much you can do, before you realise that you're not rich enough to get help.

No one wants to be a burden on society or their friends or family. And it gets to the point where you realise, there's only one solution.

And you have to really weigh up the long term damage vs short term pain in terms of your impact on everyone else.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
There is no mental health care in this country. There is only so much money you can spend, how many jobs you can have, how much debt you can go into and so much you can do, before you realise that you're not rich enough to get help.

No one wants to be a burden on society or their friends or family. And it gets to the point where you realise, there's only one solution.

And you have to really weigh up the long term damage vs short term pain in terms of your impact on everyone else.
Exactly, the government supposedly spends how many millions on mental health but where does it go?

I think it is just a paper over the cracks initiative.

Having yearly blood tests has done wonders for my dysthymia

They test kidney, liver, cholesterol, BSI, prostate (family history) and testosterone

When my testosterone is low that's when my anxiety, depression and moods go bonkers and i'm not in a good way

Now i'm on keto style food management and doing more cardio (the amount of oxygen in my blood was a little too low this time too) i'm sleeping better

Working out is hard when i have titanium rod and screws in my right leg from a motorcycle accident as i can't run

Having an exercise bike every day and swimming once a week has really helped (as well as the general walking out and about i do)

The food adjustment also was not as bad as I thought. I have a very sensitive stomach but i've been able to still eat well -i'm reading labels a lot more and have adjusted accordingly seamlessly

So if you don't feel right - see your GP and get a blood test as it may be more than one thing and help is available

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exactly, the government supposedly spends how many millions on mental health but where does it go?

I think it is just a paper over the cracks initiative.
Aside from Medicare mental health care plans? Acute and residential care - it’s very expensive to keep seriously ill people in psychiatric facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back