Roast Depth is not the issue

Remove this Banner Ad

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
It is probably the most used line about our club when we lose games because Deledio, Rance, other star player isn't playing....

"We have no depth"

A statement that suggests we can't cover injuries and therefore struggle as a result.

The truth is no team can cover the loss of a top end talent player. Instead most teams just have enough talent across the board that the loss of a key player doesn't have as much impact on their overall performance.

This is our issue, not just when we get injuries but also when other teams limit our gun players or they have an off game.

We have 5* gun players that pretty much determine the outcome of every game we play. If 4 play well, we usually go well, if all 5 play well we look a million dollars. But when a couple or more go missing or are injured we struggle.

*On occassion another player steps up into the role of key player but this doesn't happen very often.

In terms of depth I actually think we have plenty of players capable of fitting into that second half of our best 22. The problem is we don't have enough quality in the first half of our best 22.

That's why to improve we need multiple big fish at all costs to cover injuries and/or poor performance.

This could be someone as good as one of our big 5 or someone just below. Either way, we need to relegate the likes of Grigg, Houli, Miles into the second half of our best 22 otherwise we will not be a good enough side to win a flag.

IMO our depth is fine. Guys like Lloyd, Morris, Lennon, Chaplin etc are pretty damn good depth players. It's actually our "Stars". Which are Rance and JR. We don't have any other stars. As good as Dustin, Deledio and Cotchin CAN be. They aren't good enough long enough or often enough. When our best few play well we win and the depth is completely fine. When our best few play s**t the bottom end are exposed. Same in every team.
It's just a jank old cliche talking about the bottom 5.

Yep I'm not so convinced it's list problems , as I look at the vfl and see 5+ pretty good prospects . It's the way we are playing compared to those sides that are setting the pace , NM, WB. Slow , stuttering , indirect lacking in disciplined structure. We win games on talent alone ,,when it comes to contending we are miles off with the way we are going about it .

Houli Yarran Conca McIntosh Grimes & Morris.

That is half a dozen of our players that are capable of playing half back/back pocket that have been missing or missed most of the season so far. With those guys missing it means that others are required to come down and fill the void. Corey Ellis is one that should have been spending time running around in the midfield this year developing his game, but has been played across half back instead. Brandon Ellis is another one who has been thrown down there at times to try and provide some support. Now we're forced to play Short at hb/bp because of another injury.

I don't think the problems our depth it's just that the coaches a to scared to play them how can you possibly develop future a grade players when they never play?? Even hawthorn are blooding youth. I also think we are short of two A+ players like a midfielder and a key forward or back. If we had two more it would fill the coaches with more confidence in playing the young kids.
It looks like we have no depth because there's clearly no plan or structure to play them or develop them in the VFL for the roles Dimma wants them to play in the AFL. VFL team is poor and so is the gameplan and that mirrors the AFL side.

Our depth at present is non existent.
There are 13 Richmond listed players named in the VFL this week;
  • Chaplin (probably finished)
  • C Moore (unproven)
  • Markov (unproven)
  • Castagna (unproven)
  • Drummond (unproven)
  • Broad (unproven, but, in reality, not up to AFL)
  • Townsend (hasn't shown enough)
  • Menadue (will be good)
  • Marcon (unproven)
  • A Moore (not up to AFL)
  • Chol (unproven)
  • McBean (who knows!)
  • Maric (probably finished)
From that list, in my opinion, there is no one who would improve us at this stage of their careers.

• C Moore (unproven)
  • Markov (unproven)
  • Castagna (unproven)
  • Drummond (unproven)
  • Menadue (will be good)
  • Marcon (unproven)
  • Chol (unproven)
  • McBean (who knows!)
From that list, in my opinion, there is no one who would improve us at this stage of their careers.
We have a number of players out inj that are starting 22, From that list, most part are unproven which is a good thing , Maric and Moore have little to offer at this point , others hopefully will get chances in coming games

• C Moore (unproven)
  • Markov (unproven)
  • Castagna (unproven)
  • Drummond (unproven)
  • Menadue (will be good)
  • Marcon (unproven)
  • Chol (unproven)
  • McBean (who knows!)
Impressive effort to end Broads AFL career before it even begins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO our depth is fine. Guys like Lloyd, Morris, Lennon, Chaplin etc are pretty damn good depth players. It's actually our "Stars". Which are Rance and JR. We don't have any other stars. As good as Dustin, Deledio and Cotchin CAN be. They aren't good enough long enough or often enough. When our best few play well we win and the depth is completely fine. When our best few play s**t the bottom end are exposed. Same in every team.
It's just a jank old cliche talking about the bottom 5.
This is exactly what I think. We have been adding "depth" players over the last few years, but that is not what we need. We need more A-graders pushing out players currently in our best 22 out of the side and making them depth players.

This did not happen. Yeah, it sounds pretty basic and simple, but this is essentially what I think is the problem with our list management. Whether this is something that they intended to do, or it was something that happened after they failed to bring in better talent is a different issue.

I can see why people say depth is not the problem. We have too many fringe players in our 22 who would have been fine in our side if we had more A-Graders and solid B-graders.

But then again, that doesn't necessarily explain why our youngsters are performing badly in the VFL. Yeah, the VFL-listed players are not stars, but neither are the AFL-listed players to be honest

What's more impressive is that the guys who drafted him are still employed!
Like to know what has made you reach the conclusion based on half a dozen or so VFL games that he isn't suited to or capable of playing AFL.

Should've recruited Dangerfield, Smith and Henderson. That would've been good depth....:pensive:

So we try for Hurley, Patton/Cloke/Jenkins and Prestia and whoever else this off season. There is always some one up for grabs.

Watching nahas run around last night I was thinking the same thing about our depth (list deficiencies) vs game style paradox.
He doesn't seem any more effective than he was for us. Plays a role I suppose.
I think our talent/depth on paper is closer than our results suggest. The issue is upstairs. Mentally the players are soft and lack confidence in themselves and in each other and probably the game style exacerbates this.
It's a disastrous negative feedback loop that might be partially rectified with a new coach, but probably won't be fixed unless the club can turn over a critical mass of the mid tier fickle-minded playing group and replace them with some self-assured hard nuts with our next few draft/trade attempts. I have zero confidence that FJ and BH are the right people to find us these players.

Like to know what has made you reach the conclusion based on half a dozen or so VFL games that he isn't suited to or capable of playing AFL.
Isn't suited to what ? VFL? Position our illustrious leader plays him? So,is he not good enough for VFL. Or too good?

Houli Yarran Conca McIntosh Grimes & Morris.
3 of these blokes are definitive backmen, the rest have spent time there over their careers. And we delisted Dea at the end of last year.

We are playing Thunt constantly. Plus Broad didn't come from TAC, so he had a tank of sorts on arrival.

He is yet to get a call up. I personally don't know why we wasted a pick on him.

Our depth is shizen. In fact it is criminal that we lack so badly in so many key areas after 7 years of the one regime.
Fair dinkum people need to stop kidding themselves. We can not cover the loss of B/C graders yet alone the loss of the few A graders we do have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back