Opinion Depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Previously the only time I've linked the Dees to the word depth was in describing the level of despair they had driven me to. We now have quality depth.

The following guys are waiting in the wings:
Petracca Oliver VDB Garland Grimes Trenners ANB Stretch Michie (killing it at Casey) Weideman OMAC White Newton (remember him!) Spencer Dawes... I reckon the first three names there would form one of the best onball lineups in the league and they're not even playing.

I'm calling it early. We'll play finals this year.

Bandwagon has liftoff!

The top 8 are pretty solid and Adelaide will be in there when the Suns slip. Just can't see us squeezing in there this season.

2017 may be a different story.

I think we'll be 'mathematically a chance' at finals by midway through the season, but making it will be difficult. Sydney, Hawthorn, Adelaide, North, West Coast, GWS, Geelong, Gold Coast and the Bulldogs all well placed to make the 8. Gold Coast I think are most likely to drop back from that group, but even then we'd have to overtake two more of those sides to get a look in at finals. Not sure it'll happen this year.

I reckon I will be happy enough if we are still in the mix of making finals with a month to go in the season. I completely do not expect to make finals at all this year but if we can be within a game or two with 4 games to play, maybe it will give sore bodies extra incentive.

We haven't beaten anyone yet. We beat an out of sorts (based on their form since then) GW$, a delusional Pies outfit and a Rance-id (ooohhh yeah, pun very much intended) Richmond side that Collingwood beat. Sure, we got close to North, but we didn't win.

Beat the Saints this week at Etihad for 3 in a row and I'll start dreaming of the possibility because we will have built up some pretty much unprecedented (for us) momentum, but until then the lid remains shut. Not bolted shut though. The air seal has been broken, but you would still need to run it under hot water to get it off at this stage.

134nj2.jpg

We finally have some.
Bar injury, I don't see how the likes of Col, Grimes, M. Jones, Stretch, ANB, Dawes get a game.
Cracking pronlem to have with Tracs still to play, Oliver, VDB, Trenners all not playing on Sunday night.
ANB has been killing it at Casey this year and as much as we all don't want to admit it Matt Jones has been pretty impressive as well

ANB has been killing it at Casey this year and as much as we all don't want to admit it Matt Jones has been pretty impressive as well
Yeah I know but ANB still can't crack a game and with AVB, Petracca and Oliver currently also out of the side, he'll struggle.
Matt Jones, while he's been ok will be a depth player and that's it.

Our depth is very strong at the moment. The only area I'd identify a weakness is in KPDs. I'd argue we only have three genuine KPDs on the list - TMac, Dunn and OMac with a couple of people capable of taking the third banana (Garland, Lumumba, Wagner (I guess)) but without being able to play a true shut down role. Frost, of course, has a huge asterix next to his status as KPD. We should be looking to trade our plethora of half back flankers for a true gorilla imo.

People s**t on our ruck stocks, but really we have four genuine rucks who are all relatively young (all under 50 games lmao). I know M. King mk II is injured right now but you can't plan for injuries. If anything we should be looking to trade in a genuine Fwd/Ruck like a Rory Lobb type, but with our current KPF stocks (Hogan, Pedersen, Frost, Dawes, Hulett, Weideman, Watts et al;) they'd struggle to get a game.

As much as I want to see Grimes and Trengove in the side, I don't want to mess with the chemistry.
I haven't even seen Trenners play for ages, whats he bringing to our side? Love the list but i'm enjoying what our current 22 are doing. Even more exited for Petracca to debut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant remember last time a Dees team where i dont want more than 1 player out each week in saying that
We need to win 4 of next 5
Then 3 of the 4 after the bye
Then knock off 3 other teams on the run home
Possible but show up like we did against Dons and we are ****ed

I love the depth in our list this year, and the fact that there are consistently half a dozen players for Casey who I want in our team.

This thread got me thinking about two years in particular; 2000 (last GF) and 2006 (last finals appearance) and who missed out on our last games that year, and how that shapes depth-wise.

2000 GF, in number order, whether injured or simply not selected:
James Cook, Marcus Seecamp, Stephen Pitt, Paul Hopgood, Scott Chisholm, Matthew Febey, James McDonald, Nathan Brown, Simon Godfrey, Paul Wheatley, Cameron Bruce, Matthew Whelan, Luke Williams.

A good list of players who either had achieved plenty before then, or went on to achieve plenty. Outcome: better depth than now. Sidenote: It's disgusting that some of these names were over-looked in favour of Ben Beams, Matthew Collins, Brent Grgic & Alistair Nicholson.

2006 SF, in number order, whether injured or simply not selected: Simon Buckley, Clint Bizzell, Paul Johnson, Lynden Dunn, Chris Johnson, Clint Bartram, Brent Moloney, Heath Neville, Phil Read, Michael Newton, Simon Godfrey, Paul Wheatley, Ryan Ferguson, Mark Jamar, Paul Wheatley, Matthew Whelan.

A few serviceable players who did some good things for us either before or after this, but also a massive list of campaigners in there (and not in a good way). Outcome: worse depth than now. Sidenote: Confirmed when you realise Nathan Carroll, Nick Smith, Ben Holland & Matthew Bate all played in this game.

So therefore I can only conclude that our list depth is better now than ever before. Lid off (despite the fact we are losing at HT v St Kilda right now!)

I love the depth in our list this year, and the fact that there are consistently half a dozen players for Casey who I want in our team.

This thread got me thinking about two years in particular; 2000 (last GF) and 2006 (last finals appearance) and who missed out on our last games that year, and how that shapes depth-wise.

James Cook, Marcus Seecamp, Stephen Pitt, Paul Hopgood, Scott Chisholm, Matthew Febey, James McDonald, Nathan Brown, Simon Godfrey, Paul Wheatley, Cameron Bruce, Matthew Whelan, Luke Williams.

A good list of players who either had achieved plenty before then, or went on to achieve plenty. Outcome: better depth than now. Sidenote: It's disgusting that some of these names were over-looked in favour of Ben Beams, Matthew Collins, Brent Grgic & Alistair Nicholson.

2006 SF, in number order, whether injured or simply not selected: Simon Buckley, Clint Bizzell, Paul Johnson, Lynden Dunn, Chris Johnson, Clint Bartram, Brent Moloney, Heath Neville, Phil Read, Michael Newton, Simon Godfrey, Paul Wheatley, Ryan Ferguson, Mark Jamar, Paul Wheatley, Matthew Whelan.

A few serviceable players who did some good things for us either before or after this, but also a massive list of campaigners in there (and not in a good way). Outcome: worse depth than now. Sidenote: Confirmed when you realise Nathan Carroll, Nick Smith, Ben Holland & Matthew Bate all played in this game.

So therefore I can only conclude that our list depth is better now than ever before. Lid off (despite the fact we are losing at HT v St Kilda right now!)

:$:$:$

Great post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back