Analysis Der-Wayne Russell is a Port man or a Gigantic C*ckbiscuit - Analysis

Der-Waye Russell is

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know everyone (rightfully) likes to have a go at Koch for his little working class club comments but what Dwayne said yesterday is just as bad, if not worse.

If you're going to sit there and make a list of reasons why our club is smaller, less financially sound and has less supporters, you're actively hurting the club and making us less attractive to potential sponsors. Why he found it necessary to completely denigrate our image is beyond me.

He needs a strong talking to and if his arrogance gets in the way then piss him off from official club functions and speaking events. We have plenty of ex-Port people that could step in and do a better job than he's doing.

Whew, I just had visions of Kochie and Dwayne co-hosting an event... thankfully it was a silent movie.

My brain still has its defence mechanisms.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd say it's a safe bet he wouldn't be bringing up those kind of comparisons in a different circumstance e.g. he wouldn't commentate a Crows v Blues game and start saying "Using all the AFL metrics Adelaide is more successful than Carlton; more memberships, better crowd figures, 2 premierships compared to the Blues 1".

I'm sure he wouldn't. How a Carlton/Crows game relates to this situation, I'm not sure.

Like it or not, we get compared to the Crows because we are one of two teams in the same city.

If you went with a hypothetical of Freo vs Eagles, then yeah, I could absolutely see him (or any other commentator for that matter) doing the same thing in that circumstance.

I can’t remember the last Der-Werp called Port game that I didn’t mute within 20 minutes of the game’s start. I did the same yesterday after he constantly called for Crows free kicks in the first quarter, every time a Port player’s shadow came within 10m of one of their players.

Re-watched the last three quarters today with volume turned up and was not disappointed with his level of pandering to the Crows. Anything half resembling physical contact from one of our guys was a free to them. Half of our frees were interpreted by his lord Dwipshit to be lucky or contentious.

I now hate the guy despite him being one of my earliest favourite players when I was a kid.

The constant calls for for frees for them and "playing for frees" for us was tiresome.

Robbie got barrelled into from behind early, “he played for it”, both umpires and Dwayno set the tone early.

Robbie got barrelled into from behind early, “he played for it”, both umpires and Dwayno set the tone early.
Yep. That was the 'fire starter'.

Great thread. I can't stand the muppet, he adds to the frustrations when the team is performing badly and its enough to shave years off your life. He needs to keep his opinions on umpiring calls to himself. Call the game, you're the play by play guy. Do your job and stfu with all that other BS!!

One of my first ports of call if ever thrown the keys to a time machine is to 1983 to remove Dwayne Russell’s name from my duffel coat. And not only to undo all of the psychological damage caused by schoolmates who thought that having Dwayne 4 Russell written in 4 inch letters on my back meant that I was almost certainly gay. Public schools in the southern suburbs in the 80’s weren’t known for their political correctness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a Mark Ruccuito sycophant and unapologetic leader of the Eddie Betts fan club. His spiel about building a monument to "Eddiiiieee" yesterday brought up my lunch.
Haha I was going to write the exact words "He's a Mark Ricciuto sycophant". Beat me to it. Didn't he say Ricciuto has 7 Showdown Medals? haha nuff.

Wait. You mean you don't have to put an asterisk in cockbiscuit to get past the BigFooty swear filter?

He shits me ******* cockbiscuit mother*er **** sucking campaigner.

It's a glorious weekend when Port beat the Crows by 10 goals and I find an unfiltered profanity to use on bigfooty.

Last edited:
I fully understand and appreciate the individual being an ex Port player, 1981 premiership player, vice captain etc. However, the fact that he is an ex Port player from the 80s doesn't make him immune from negative comment from Port supporters now due to his current media comments and attitude. A lot has happened in those 30 years. I had hair in the 80s but I don't have now. That doesn't mean I kept my hair brush.

His role is that of football commentator and as we assume, a football commentator is expected to as much as possible, be unbiased in their opinion and reporting, including the commentary regarding frees awarded or not awarded etc. For whatever reason, favouritism of one team over another or a dislike of one team over another, is not something that should be conveyed or implied over the airwaves. It is not professional and the commentators are paid large sums to be professional. This applies to all sporting commentators.

It seems to me that some current football personalities also put themselves and their personal opinions above the game. They use their position in the media in an attempt to influence viewers. However, if a particular club is being singled out by a particular unprofessional commentator / influencer, the subtle planting of a personal agenda or opinions during the narrative of a football game (which is a very effective subliminal method to use btw), then that club should take appropriate, considered, action, which should at least include that person's removal from any club function list / after game interviews etc, until such times that viewing returns to a balanced commentary of both teams/clubs on the field on game day. This applies to all commentators / media influencers. They should not expect the club to assist with their employment duties if respect from them is not awarded towards the club during that employment . Balanced commentary of all games is certainly not too much to be expected from any club in the competition, no matter who is the football personality.

I accept some may consider the live commentary a trivial matter. Keep in mind, many people tend to believe without consideration a lot of what they hear and because of that, its does not become a trivial matter. And it could quite easily get worse, human nature being what is is. Any unwarranted Port Adelaide misinformation on a national scale that is met with club silence and then allowed to continue unabated could possibly impact the club in negatives ways in the future. Risk management 101.

Its not that we don't have anyone in club administration that has national media connections to assist in this endeavour FFS. !!!!! I am of the opinion the chairman and club will do nothing about how certain individuals portray Port Adelaide in the media because the chairman with his comments is unfortunately not much better.

Sorry for long winded rant.

Here is the exact transcript thanks to Gattaca

"Adelaide Crows the number one team in this state by any AFL measurement you can really like to go by, most fans, most members, the most power in the state, the most success, two flags to Port's one, most financial, but they wont have the most score today and Port Adelaide are in just as good a spot as Adelaide going into the last third of the season, and have a crack at another flag."​
At the next Port Adelaide related event he MCs someone needs to read this out to him word for word and ask him if this is the sort of thing an ex Port Adelaide player and member should be saying. Insulting, demeaning and spits in the face of every Port servant who has worked to elevate the club to where it is today.

He was awful in the showdown... I feel like there were multiple times his Co commentator (I think riewoldt?) had to call him out on bullshit directly and sounded a bit shocked. That says a lot.

No worse than most of the commentary we get though. Dermys earlier this year was far worse, and BT and Roo are just as bad.

Watched a bit of the Carlton game, and his commentary is distinctly different.

Doesn't discredit, criticise every free kick against a particular team and certainly doesn't circle jerk as much.

Here is the exact transcript thanks to Gattaca

"Adelaide Crows the number one team in this state by any AFL measurement you can really like to go by, most fans, most members, the most power in the state, the most success, two flags to Port's one, most financial, but they wont have the most score today and Port Adelaide are in just as good a spot as Adelaide going into the last third of the season, and have a crack at another flag."​
At the next Port Adelaide related event he MCs someone needs to read this out to him word for word and ask him if this is the sort of thing an ex Port Adelaide player and member should be saying. Insulting, demeaning and spits in the face of every Port servant who has worked to elevate the club to where it is today.
The only silver lining to that quote is that it subtly points out why the crows have such a large chip on their shoulder to Port.

All those things Dwayne mentioned will change over time: members, financials, flags, etc.

The main things Port have over the crows is something that won't change: History and authenticity.

Back