Play Nice Derailed, (The Place to Continue Off-Topic Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

We play Geelong on Saturday. Let's imagine they could pick senior or junior...but not the other. Which one do you think they would pick and which one would cause US the most heartache trying to stop?

Pretty much sums up the comparisons really.

Ps Ingy...my opinions were based on what I've seen and learned over the years and the % were based on

Sorry I didn't take into account running bounces, handball receives and uncontested possessions.
One stat I am interested in. Guess which one of the Ablett's is ahead on the free kick count? Junior's free kick count is more akin to another Superstar (KB) whereas Senior gave away more frees than he got himself. So I guess you could explain the Brownlow votes there.

Ablett snr was a much better mark, much better kick and faster, plus he hurt blokes. Absolute match winner, superstar in the top 10 ever. No comparison

Watch that, and then tell me the things Senior could do on the field that Junior doesn't do in that 22 minutes of footage.

That'll do.
Despite his opposition tendencies Gary Abblett Snr. is one of a handful of players in the near modern era that every football fan with any taste whatsoever will tell you they have felt privileged to have watched.
Those players are rare indeed and are rightly regarded as the epitome of what it is to be a complete footballer.

We probably are coming across that way, but I'm gen-X. :)

GA snr, Wayne Carey, & Daicos should probably be considered along the same lines as Buddy & Dusty. You know that at their peak they'd dominate no matter the era they're competing in.

Comparisons are subjective but I've not seen anyone playing today that is equal to the 1st 3 players I have mentioned.

I hope that in 30 years time you younger ones have same stories to tell about JDG. :)
I’m loading up on the Ben Kinnear stories as we speak :)

I’m loading up on the Ben Kinnear stories as we speak :)

We are derailing... again, but if we're going to talk about once in a generation talent.

images (41).jpeg

last season he looked very much on the Broomhead trajectory, it’s amazing how quickly he improved

Last year he wasn't asked to play the same role and was not physically at the level he is this year. Having the coach's confidence does wonders for a young player's self belief.

Why do you reckon the umps didn't rate him, mate?

Who knows. Managed 100 brownlow votes across his career yet had games where he kicked 6 or more goals and didn’t get a vote. You could ask the same question of a dozen footballers. Matthews, Carey, Whitten, the list goes on.

Watch the highlights of the last full game Daicos played when he did his knee at the end.
Daicos kicked 7, Ablett 6. Pies won.
My point is that both were about 32 or so.
If Daicos hadn't have done his knee again, we would have got 1 more year of his magic.
The other point is God was the complete package when he showed up.
If he had Pendles attitude and drive, he would have made Bradman blush..

We are derailing... again, but if we're going to talk about once in a generation talent.

View attachment 979869

Last year he wasn't asked to play the same role and was not physically at the level he is this year. Having the coach's confidence does wonders for a young player's self belief.
Very strange of the mods to change the name of the Josh Daicos thread to Derailed for us but I like how facilitating they are.

@ Mods , Ben Kinnear discussion is always warranted. Boooo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch that, and then tell me the things Senior could do on the field that Junior doesn't do in that 22 minutes of footage.

Snr was a better mark, better kick and had more pace.
In terms of game winning impact,
Snr was better.

Watch Peter Daicos's highlights and you'll see a MUCH better player than your GOAT....and jeez I wish they had Greening's highlights and not just the couple of clips they have of him!

GAJ is the best Geelong rover of the 2000-2020 period....hows that?

if it was a choice between G.Ablett senior or junior in the team in any time period over the last 30 odd years its G.Ablett senior anyday. in fact any player in the VFL/AFL in the last 30 years.

Looks like Holgate will - or should - lose her position as Australia Post boss.

She should have gone before now for corporate malfeasance, but she's good enough for McGuire's round table.

No wonder the club is screwed.
Were the Aus Post execs given Cartier watches so they could time the delivery of parcels etc??

Looks like Holgate will - or should - lose her position as Australia Post boss.

She should have gone before now for corporate malfeasance, but she's good enough for McGuire's round table.

No wonder the club is screwed.

I don’t think you live in the real world if you think a $3000 watch instead of a $3000 bonus is a crime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back