Play Nice Derailed, (The Place to Continue Off-Topic Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

if you want to attract good people to govt work then you reward them like any normal business.
Any reasonable tax payer would never disagree with that premise.
somebody reasonably senior thinks it's at least questionable if the CEO has been asked to stand aside pending an investigation

somebody reasonably senior thinks it's at least questionable if the CEO has been asked to stand aside pending an investigation

yes a Labour Party member.
It’s all politics - a feeble attempt at embarrassing the Libs, that will get a few headlines but ultimately go nowhere.

if you want to attract good people to govt work then you reward them like any normal business.
Any reasonable tax payer would never disagree with that premise.

You do know that Holgate was paid nearly 3 million dollars last year, and that these watches were for Senior Execs?

Exec salaries would be 500k and up + bonus.

“if you want to attract people to govt work” - spare us, these aren’t public servants. This was an abuse of power and a waste of money.

I’m not for a second thinking she should be sacked - punishment fitting the crime probably suggests not, but give us an absolute break from the crap after crap.

yes a Labour Party member.
It’s all politics - a feeble attempt at embarrassing the Libs, that will get a few headlines but ultimately go nowhere.
I posted a laptop 2 weeks ago by Express Post - about 8 kms away - was promised next day +1 delivery

it hasn't arrived

which Aust Post Execs deserve a bonus and on what basis?

You need to pay attention to current events.

She's also spent a million dollars on flowers for Aus Post the last two years, and had some very high credit card expenses.

And ....if either were illegal she’d have been sacked.
I spend money on my Corporate Card as do millions of others. I’d be sacked if I misused or abused it.

They get bonuses as part of their package, this was outside that.

How do you know it was not in lieu of the monetary bonus - it happens all the time in business.
Eg travel vouchers etc. instead of cash is very common.

But regardless paying people an extra bonus for an extraordinary effort in implementing or completing a substantial project is also par for the course in business- and that was the case in this insistence at Aust Post apparently.

Last edited:
How do you know it was not in lieu of the monetary bonus - it happens all the time in business.
Eg travel vouchers etc. instead of cash is very common.

But regardless paying people an extra bonus for an extraordinary effort in implementing or completing a substantial project is also par for the course in business- and that was the case in this insistence at Aust Post apparently.

How do I know?

Because she would have said as much when she was being questioned and this issue wouldn’t now be what it is.

Pretty simple really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spend money on my Corporate Card as do millions of others. I’d be sacked if I misused or abused it.

Recruiting Dayne Beams wasn't illegal, just effing stupid. A bit like spending a million on flowers when you want to reduce services and can't even get mail delivered on time.

Her position is a political appointment - if you think people like that get sacked that easily, then words fail me.

Look at Dear Leader Dan - killed 800 Victorians, destroyed thousands of businesses, sent the state and country into a mountain of debt that will take decades to reduce, and he is still in his job.

it's more than what's "legal"

it's also about ethics, best business practice, accountability etc

Aust Post is a govt business enterprise. Snr execs are very well remunerated

Holgate was paid $2.7 mill inc bonuses last year

The Head of the US Postal Service is paid ~ $300,000

On what basis is Aust Post paying bonuses in the form of expensive watches? Were these declared at the time they were received etc?

Recruiting Dayne Beams wasn't illegal, just effing stupid. A bit like spending a million on flowers when you want to reduce services and can't even get mail delivered on time.

Her position is a political appointment - if you think people like that get sacked that easily, then words fail me.

Look at Dear Leader Dan - killed 800 Victorians, destroyed thousands of businesses, sent the state and country into a mountain of debt that will take decades to reduce, and he is still in his job.

In what fantasy world are you comparing Christina Holgates fitness to be on the CFC board ( which is how this discussion started), with Dan Andrew management of COVID - you have got to be kidding.

it's more than what's "legal"

it's also about ethics, best business practice, accountability etc

Aust Post is a govt business enterprise. Snr execs are very well remunerated

Holgate was paid $2.7 mill inc bonuses last year

The Head of the US Postal Service is paid ~ $300,000

On what basis is Aust Post paying bonuses in the form of expensive watches? Were these declared at the time they were received etc?

The fact remains that a CEO of any company rewards employees for extraordinary effort in delivering a major project as was the case here.
It’s normal practice - nothing illegal will be revealed in the fullness of time.

As I said previously, if you want to attract good people to the Govt sector then you need to be prepared to reward them like the private sector.

Otherwise you can pay peanuts and you’ll get monkeys.

The fact remains that a CEO of any company rewards employees for extraordinary effort in delivering a major project as was the case here.
It’s normal practice - nothing illegal will be revealed in the fullness of time.

As I said previously, if you want to attract good people to the Govt sector then you need to be prepared to reward them like the private sector.

Having worked for a number of Government departments for nearly 40 years, I can confirm this is true. And it took some departments a long time to realise that. Trouble is, while they are now being paid close to what they would be in the private sector, they cannot behave like they did in the private sector. Bonuses, gifts, procurement of good & services etc all have very strict policies & guidelines that must be adhered to. Some of the high level Public Srevants that have come from the Private Sector that I have worked with have struggled with this concept, to their frustration.

Setting aside her position at Collingwood, she is paid about $3 mill. salary, spent some $300K on her credit card, $700 K on greening offices, then gave watches to three executives for making a deal with a bank for PO to be an outlet for the bank.

Meanwhile, mail services dropped to every two days, others services like priority mail, not so much. Wages for employees not risen and to top it off she thinks that Australia Post is a 'commercial/private' business not realising that it is taxpayers money and many are doing it exceptionally hard.

Not sure I am with you on this one. Seriously bad judgement on her part.

Setting aside her position at Collingwood, she is paid about $3 mill. salary, spent some $300K on her credit card, $700 K on greening offices, then gave watches to three executives for making a deal with a bank for PO to be an outlet for the bank.

Meanwhile, mail services dropped to every two days, others services like priority mail, not so much. Wages for employees not risen and to top it off she thinks that Australia Post is a 'commercial/private' business not realising that it is taxpayers money and many are doing it exceptionally hard.

Not sure I am with you on this one. Seriously bad judgement on her part.
So, she perfectly qualified to be on our Board. Eddie will see that she is re-elected unopposed.

Holgate should drift away.

I'd rather pay peanuts for the service of monkeys when it comes to Aus Post.

They might deliver things in better time, and their capacity for ethical conduct is probably superior.

So, she perfectly qualified to be on our Board. Eddie will see that she is re-elected unopposed.
Not sure where the bigger messes are or where to look first.

What I would give for a one quiet period in the life of being a Collingwood supporter.:(

Go re-watch Stephenson sulking around and refusing to tackle in 2020 then tell me he isn't hard to coach :drunk:. Bucks would've been pulling his hair out, the only reason he got a game was his amazing natural talent.
If Malthouse was coaching stephenson he would be a regular all Australian. Same as Hinkley, he lets the talented youngsters have a bit of flair rather than turning him into a robot

If Malthouse was coaching stephenson he would be a regular all Australian. Same as Hinkley, he lets the talented youngsters have a bit of flair rather than turning him into a robot
If Malthouse was coaching stephenson he would be a regular all Australian?
The same Malthouse who allowed young men to do whatever they liked off field?
The same Malthouse who had a hard and fast cadre of favoured players and marginalised the rest?
The same Malthouse who ignored rampant drug abuse of epic proportions at West Coast?
Yeah I'm sure that would have happened.

Last edited:
If Malthouse was coaching stephenson he would be a regular all Australian?
The same Malthouse who allowed young men to do whatever they liked off field?
The same Malthouse who had a hard and fast cadre of favoured players and marginalised the rest?
The same Malthouse who ignored rampant drug abuse of epic proportions at West Coast?
Yeah I'm sure that would have happened.

i will add another

If Malthouse was coaching, we would have developed at least one young key forward in the past nine years.

I am no huge Malthouse fan and/or Buckley hater but FFS develop a key ******* forward to kick goals.

In the last 4 years, we have very rarely (2018 the exception) had a functioning forward line. Do the club not see that our forward stocks are deficient?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back