Autopsy Derby 49: Too much weights, not enough speed work. - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, missing our starting midfield we took it up to the reigning premiers with their home crowd and should have won if we dont start 1 goal 9 or something stupid.

Similar to last week in that i like the way we are trying to play but the skills were again off though it was pretty wet so i will cut some slack. Hope we back that up next week against the form team of the comp

Tabs............. A few too many brain fades tonight, but still our most dangerous forward. Probably a C+ for the game, cost us a bit too much IMO.

20 disposals
8 marks (3 contested marks - 4 marks i50)
5 tackles
2 goals 3 behinds 2 or 3 complete misses. Should have been at least 4 goals.
To be fair, he did the team thing on his last kick - knew there wasn't much time and rushed it. Would have been much more likely to goal if he'd gone back, taken his time and kicked after the siren.

Amazed that the margin was so small.
Fantastic effort put in.
Skills are awful. Just hope that maturity and confidence might improve them in time.

What to make of that? What we're trying to do can clearly work; some of the ball movement was great in patches - but the good work is completely undone by bad goalkicking and shitty decision making. We also look inexplicably cooked when the ball goes to ground. Mundy immense, McCarthy, Walters, Brayshaw, Cerra (after an ordinary start), Lobb (ditto) all serviceable.

Structure is where Ross does deserve an absolute bollocking; Hogan in the goalsquare and Tabs at high CHF is clearly the best set-up for us, but we didn't settle on that until it was far too late.

I'm done with Wilson - backline needed a cool head and some greater leadership when Hamling went down and he was nowhere to be seen. Peel next week please.

I agree with you re: Wilson. He's had a really poor start to the year.

I thought we were good. Lots to like. It’s the kind of season I was at least hoping of – showing enough to feel like we’re progressing with a young list.
Yeah I feel kind of not too pissy. Like we could snag the next one if the forward line gels better. Keeping in mind a lot of our forward line have only played 1-2 games together in the same team.

At least we look hard to play against.

It's just about expectation. The Eagles are the premiers, they are a well oiled machine and everyone knows the game-plan and how their teammates play.
Their game-style has been kryptonite for us since Simpson got them humming.
We have a bunch of new players are the club who have never played together, guys out of confidence like Hogan, Wilson, Brayshaw and McCarthy who's only just getting going properly as a footballer. We were missing our captain who is arguably the best player in the game, Hill, Blakely, Logue, Sandi étc.
They got the jump and looked like they would thrash us but our team really dug deep and controlled more of the game in the second half. We started to find ways to score, hit a few forwards on the lead, defended really well, stopped the Eagles easy transition from the back half.
I could go on but I saw a lot to like, the highlight of which is Hogan finally found himself. He's a bull and with McCarthy we actually have 2 really good forwards.
Swita belongs at the level, did some really classy things so there is another good one. This is the first game I've thought Matera might actually be useful going forward.
I thought we'd lose by 100. This was beyond anything I thought we could put together against them.
I'm predicting some good footy as they year goes on. There is something to work with and as the players gell a bit we'll worry a lot of sides. Especially as Hogan starts bossing it down forward. That will change the whole zeitgeist of our forward line.

Not the first Derby in the last couple of years we cost ourselves with piss poor goal kicking.

We need to do some training on ball handling because this fumbling is getting ridiculous.
yep
i think fatigue is the factor when it comes to skill errors, I'm still putting the gap between us and the contenders squarely at the feet of our s S & C team

It's just about expectation. The Eagles are the premiers, they are a well oiled machine and everyone knows the game-plan and how their teammates play.
Their game-style has been kryptonite for us since Simpson got them humming.
We have a bunch of new players are the club who have never played together, guys out of confidence like Hogan, Wilson, Brayshaw and McCarthy who's only just getting going properly as a footballer. We were missing our captain who is arguably the best player in the game, Hill, Blakely, Logue, Sandi étc.
They got the jump and looked like they would thrash us but our team really dug deep and controlled more of the game in the second half. We started to find ways to score, hit a few forwards on the lead, defended really well, stopped the Eagles easy transition from the back half.
I could go on but I saw a lot to like, the highlight of which is Hogan finally found himself. He's a bull and with McCarthy we actually have 2 really good forwards.
Swita belongs at the level, did some really classy things so there is another good one. This is the first game I've thought Matera might actually be useful going forward.
I thought we'd lose by 100. This was beyond anything I thought we could put together against them.
I'm predicting some good footy as they year goes on. There is something to work with and as the players gell a bit we'll worry a lot of sides. Especially as Hogan starts bossing it down forward. That will change the whole zeitgeist of our forward line.

eloquently put
switta is the real deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But for one extra player with clean hands or better kicks...
They can all be better players with clean hands and kicks with some added emphasis on certain training drills to practice these skills simulating game pressure.

I've mentioned a team drill before, adapted from the Australian men's basketball coach that I'd guarantee improves set shot accuracy.

Marks 135 to 81.

We fought hard but they controlled the ball.

They were cleaner and more organised.
We almost brought them down to our level but they managed to keep some semblance of game plan with short uncontested kicks. If only we could have finished off our game plan with better fwd line set up and goal kicking accuracy.

Marks 135 to 81.

They did, but we stifled their run and led to a lot of dinky back-line kicks sideways and backwards. Ross got the points over Simpson tonight.
Some bigger bodies, better understanding between our players and some straight kicking, and we win that.

To be fair, he did the team thing on his last kick - knew there wasn't much time and rushed it. Would have been much more likely to goal if he'd gone back, taken his time and kicked after the siren.
He could have taken a bit longer (think he had 39 sec), but all we needed was 10 seconds at the restart to kick a goal. Munday says Hi.

We should never think we are going to lose. We still had a good chance to win no matter what's happened before in the game when Tabs was taking the last kick. I did back us by a few point to win.

Can't put to words how frustrating and ridiculous it is how badly we're wasting Cerra. I'd love to see him starting in the middle to start the match, he has the ability to impact games and will develop 1000% quicker that way ffs!
Marks 135 to 81.

They did, but we stifled their run and led to a lot of dinky back-line kicks sideways and backwards. Ross got the points over Simpson tonight.
Some bigger bodies, better understanding between our players and some straight kicking, and we win that.
No he didn't because our skills under pressure were shite and we didn't convert the set shots for goal.

Can't put to words how frustrating and ridiculous it is how badly we're wasting Cerra. I'd love to see him starting in the middle to start the match, he has the ability to impact games and will develop 1000% quicker that way ffs!

What is it do you reckon? He’s needed more in defence or they don’t rate him as a mid?

Dominated that second half, for no reward.
That first quarter.. we know how west coast play and how Adam Simpson set up. Yet Ross still pushes to get it inside the 50 at all cost. Bombing it. We get killed out of the back and Ryan, Petrucelle made them look like A graders.
When we finally kicked it in the ground, actually competed.
Why don’t we just dribble it or kick it along the ground? Who cares.. they’re not set up for that. McGovern is small and limp ball below his knees, same as Hurn. But Ross has no plan B-Z, and once again Adam Simpson made him his little pet.

Hughes dominated Darling. Apart from his two pathetic diving frees, little Jackie did absolutely nothing apart from that. Commend him for that. But hey bash him.
Wilson is woeful. Not himself. Just not 100% switched on. Tbh, if Ross is ruthless should bring in Nyhuis for him. We have Ryan, and one of Cerra/Conca is playing half back anyway.

Ross is playing Hogan into the ground. Turned him into a defensive first, goals last player. Honestly, the poor bloke is doing crap that the smalls should be doing. Do you see Kennedy nor Darling doing the same? Nope. Efforts over skill, talent is done. Finished. Ross ain’t the right coach for this list to be frank.

Tabs was good, but could’ve had 4 or 5. Frustrating for him.

Hickey having more then 7 clearances. Lobb needed to do better

Felt like we controlled 70% of the match, gave West Coast no quarter to do their chip gameplan. But it’s a game loss for me, could’ve won. More shots, more I50. Just need better forward line coach and structure.

Sheppard has 14 marks. We love playing their defenders into form don’t we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back