Autopsy Derby 49: Too much weights, not enough speed work. - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know people get emotional during and immediately after a game. But to dispel some myths presented as if they were facts...

Darling had 37% of his disposals in the defensive half.
Kennedy had 31% of his disposals in the defensive half.
Vardy had 30% of his disposals in the defensive half.

Taberner had 45% of his disposals in the defensive half (mostly on the wing).
Hogan had 34% of his disposals in the defensive half.
McCarthy had 28% of his disposals in the defensive half.

No KPFs stay within the forward 50 for the whole time during a game - you need them to provide aerial targets to move the ball down field. Teams do not play AFL football like a game of netball on a massive oval shaped court. We did not play extra defenders behind the ball today. We also did not flood the back line. And I don't think it takes too many brain cells to realise we didn't get caught out the back in the first quarter because we were playing overly defensive ;)

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
We have two mids as half backs. Conca have no business being in the defensive half.
That turnover at 3 quarter time kills our momentum.
Totally agree. Six seconds to go and he does that.A player with a large amount of experience and he does that.
They all must have know just how much time was left on the clock.Unforgivable.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I know people get emotional during and immediately after a game. But to dispel some myths presented as if they were facts...

Darling had 37% of his disposals in the defensive half.
Kennedy had 31% of his disposals in the defensive half.
Vardy had 30% of his disposals in the defensive half.

Taberner had 45% of his disposals in the defensive half (mostly on the wing).
Hogan had 34% of his disposals in the defensive half.
McCarthy had 28% of his disposals in the defensive half.

No KPFs stay within the forward 50 for the whole time during a game - you need them to provide aerial targets to move the ball down field. Teams do not play AFL football like a game of netball on a massive oval shaped court. We did not play extra defenders behind the ball today. We also did not flood the back line. And I don't think it takes too many brain cells to realise we didn't get caught out the back in the first quarter because we were playing overly defensive ;)
Thank you. Highlighted my point. Our forwards are too far up the ground and required to zone defend, if that makes sense.
Forwards should always be 70/30. That’s ideal. 60/40 is pushing it. But most of our forwards are 55/45. Which is ridiculous. Why bother having a forward line?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
All 3 of them would walk into our team imo. Cripps is a pretty good player, Petrucelle is an extremely promising young player and Ryan is obviously very talented.

Ryan wouldn’t last outside of that system. He’s a flash in the pan type. Seen it at WAFL. He’s lucky tbh, he got to play for Subiaco and West Coast. Give him a team like North and he’s ain’t good. And please. Cripps a good player? He’s a beneficiary of all the work up the ground. It’s all consequences of the game plan they have. Seagull to the max.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thank you. Highlighted my point. Our forwards are too far up the ground and required to zone defend, if that makes sense.
Forwards should always be 70/30. That’s ideal. 60/40 is pushing it. But most of our forwards are 55/45. Which is ridiculous. Why bother having a forward line?
Not sure what your original point was but no I'm pretty certain that's not what it illustrates at all. Someone like Taberner was leading up the wing toward our d50 to help transition the ball down field. The same way Kennedy led all the way up to inside our f50 at one point to help get the ball out for them. Neither were defending in the defensive half.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
the real trick is when to lead up and when to keep structure.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not sure what your original point was but no I'm pretty certain that's not what it illustrates at all. Someone like Taberner was leading up the wing toward our d50 to help transition the ball down field. The same way Kennedy led all the way up to inside our f50 at one point to help get the ball out for them. Neither were defending in the defensive half.
It’s more the structure and shape. Don’t seem to have one with many of the forwards away from the I50 and being sucked into the play. Kennedy kicked 3, hardly dominated but he knew his role. Our forwards don’t. Simple really. Hogan isn’t staying one on one I50, like he should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MadEyeEmmy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positives

- We never gave up.
- Plenty of scoring shots (just ****ed most of them)
- Hughes did a great job on Jackie BP
- Mundy was immense
- Walters still had an influence despite the Hutchins tag
- Dardy still kicking snags
- We are better than this. Add Fyfe, Blakely and SHill (once he gets his bionic leg) and we would have easily won

Negatives

- 14 behinds
- We looked over excited and also frightened.
- Conca and that ******* kick straight to the WCE. Hope he remembers that moment because it will only make him better (see what I did there?)
- Cerra not played in the ******* middle
- What is Hogan’s role? He looks confused
- Schultz is s**t. My buddy Giro would have been better out there
- Lost another damn derby. Getting a bit old.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s more the structure and shape. Don’t seem to have one with many of the forwards away from the I50 and being sucked into the play. Kennedy kicked 3, hardly dominated but he knew his role. Our forwards don’t. Simple really. Hogan isn’t staying one on one I50, like he should.
We had more shots at goal than they did and were more effective inside 50 and only had one less mark inside 50 than they did (they normally kill us in all those things). Kicking 14 behinds (from a lot of kickable shots) killed us just as much as stupid turnovers. No question our forward line is still a hot mess given how new it is but I don't think that has anything to do with forwards pushing up field to help move the ball.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
So it's the vibe really.

We had more shots at goal than they did and were more effective inside 50 and only had one less mark inside 50 than they did (they normally kill us in all those things). Kicking 14 behinds (from a lot of kickable shots) killed us just as much as stupid turnovers. No question our forward line is still a hot mess given how new it is but I don't think that has anything to do with forwards pushing up field to help move the ball.
Honestly at this point I would give up though I commend you for fighting a good fight. Went to read the Ross thread and got out of there pretty quickly. One of his posts literally blame Ross for how the game started before saying things changed and we fought back into the game with a diff approach that worked much better which is of course not credited to Ross (lets not even start on the fact we kicked 1.9 to start the game so we hardly played badly, just didnt finish).

The best one was interpreting that post showing how both forwards are all over the ground supports his idea that our KPF's play all over the ground too much...

******* mindblowing some of this s**t.

In a game missing our starting midfield, a key defensive player lost in the 2nd qtr, we lost to the reigning premiers by a couple of goals purely because we kicked poorly in front of goals. This game is not evidence we should be sacking Ross

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Positives:
  1. Mundy - an ageless performance;
  2. Brayshaw - kid's gonna be a week in week out machine for us;
  3. The effort was there all night;
  4. Cam Mac continues to kick goals and does it under pressure;
  5. Hogan is looking a bit better each week;
  6. Lobb got beaten in the ruck but was pretty good around the ground;
  7. Ryan plays like a 150 game veteran;
  8. Alex Pearce is an athletic freak.
Negatives:
  1. Goalkicking;
  2. Conca and Colyer give effort but their skills are suspect under pressure;
  3. Tabs - so good a times but FMBD he's frustrating;
  4. Hammer getting injured - we missed him badly;
  5. A few times when two of our boys contested the same ball.
I don't think we're a million miles away. I suspect we'll be in the pack that's between 6th and 12th.

What did everyone think of the Eagles skills in the last quarter? They were s**t - multiples kicks out on the full and more than a couple of sorry I kicked it over your head mate. They also struggled picking up ground balls in the second half. Funny what pressure does.

Yeah, Eagles shown up as they nearly always are when conditions and oppo put pressure on them. But they are efficient, play to their strengths, organised and rarely let a game get away from them. They have a core of very experienced players in a good system that makes up for their inadequacies - FWIW, even when we started to get a sniff, I still felt they were confident enough to keep us at arms length, I never really felt we were going to get the W.

We were a few players with poise away from winning a game like that. Players like Colyer, Switta and Schultz were classic examples tonight. They do a lot right, but lack that polish in a hot game to take the right option make things happen. Tabs too of course tonight.

Loved our effort and drive, played a way that would give us a chance and really, the chance was there. So can't complain - but if this is as good as we get, then I'll be pissed. We need to get more polish in our game when its there to be won.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
As for individuals:

Good:
- AP and Hughes were very good and both lifted massively when Hammer went down. Great games from them.
- Like Brayshaw's game. Just needs to keep at it.
- Hogan and McCarthy showed they have the class that we need, just need a better system/play around them, but they're looking good.
- Matera: I so wish he had a bit more pace and a more umph in his defensive game. He's a footballer, no doubt about that, but for small he lets HB get away from him too easily and he lacks that speed that you really want in a small fwd. But he's doing a good job with ball in hand, I like that.
- Switta and Shultz are the mirror image of Matera: wasteful with the ball, but their pace and energy certainly gives us something.
- Mundy took a bit to get into the game, but the cream rose to the top the longer it went, no doubt about it.

Goodish:
- I thought Wilson was better, but coming from a base as low as his form has been is not saying much. He was average, but better.

Bad:
- Hill and Walters were largely managed out of the game by WC. Credit to them. We needed one of those to have a massive game to win.
- Hamling injury of course
- So many missed chances, on the flip side, the mental strength to keep playing through the misses etc., that's a good sign.

Category of its own:
- Tabs: for being BOG and worst on ground in the same game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back