Derby Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the ins. Giro a bit stiff as he's been one of the few actually trying to create something.
I agree. Keen to see how McCarthy goes as the third tall. Also pretty sure we are ranked last for tackles inside 50 so hopefully Grey and Crowden could improve on that.

Personally think the Matera bashing is a bit odd on here. Feels like there is some seriously unrealistic expectations going on. The reason he hasn't kicked many goals is because hes being poorly coached and out of position.

A - Played out of position
B - One of few players who actually tackles and chases
C - When he is actually rarely inside 50m, hes in arguably the worst forward line in the comp. Even Walters is having a meh season.

Exactly at least he is having a go. I was a bit sceptical of him because he looked like an A grade ducker.
Where people all stick up for Cam when he looks disinterested and totally has NFI how to read the ball. Never ever tackles or goes in for a second effort.

I'd love for Crowden to get 25 touches and set up a few goals with those low left foot long kicks, secure his place for the rest of the season and hit the preseason fired up and confident.
I'd like to see some evidence he's learnt a bit about not getting caught with the ball every time he takes possession. He's got a lot to like about the way he plays but I found that worrying.
What I like about these ins is we have dropped or lost a few less physical players and brought in some real hardness and tackling pressure in the forward half. Some hope we are going to try and make life difficult for the Eagles defenders trying to bring it out.

Exactly at least he is having a go. I was a bit sceptical of him because he looked like an A grade ducker.
Where people all stick up for Cam when he looks disinterested and totally has NFI how to read the ball. Never ever tackles or goes in for a second effort.
Don't you get the feeling we've seen everything we are going to get with Matera? Atleast with Cam there's still that excitement of the unknown

Don't you get the feeling we've seen everything we are going to get with Matera? Atleast with Cam there's still that excitement of the unknown
Matera can be a multiple goal kicking small forward. He won't do that fr olm the centre square or getting the ball on the wing.

I reckon ross has wasted Stephen hills career trying to make him play inside and now in defence. Also Walters from a first class small forward to an undersized and slow mid. I don't get what his thinking is.

I'd like to see some evidence he's learnt a bit about not getting caught with the ball every time he takes possession. He's got a lot to like about the way he plays but I found that worrying.
What I like about these ins is we have dropped or lost a few less physical players and brought in some real hardness and tackling pressure in the forward half. Some hope we are going to try and make life difficult for the Eagles defenders trying to bring it out.

Got caught red handed htb in last weeks game so I doubt it.

Agree with the selections, we're a good hope :thumbsu:

Personally think the Matera bashing is a bit odd on here. Feels like there is some seriously unrealistic expectations going on. The reason he hasn't kicked many goals is because hes being poorly coached and out of position.

A - Played out of position
B - One of few players who actually tackles and chases
C - When he is actually rarely inside 50m, hes in arguably the worst forward line in the comp. Even Walters is having a meh season.

Someone at his extremely small size needs to have x-factor or special traits. He doesn't possess these. He is too short and can't jump. Liability in the air. He is also quite slow and can't put genuine chasing pressure on, nor hit crumbs at speed. Poor endurance too. Disposal and decision making is average, puts teammates under pressure and not a long kick.

Sure, he should be stationed in the forward line. It is bewildering to see him in for centre bounces or on the wing, though Ross has a track record of playing people out of position. But forwards need to press up the ground and I think Matera's limitations are going to be exposed no matter where he plays.

I don't have unrealistic expectations. He is performing about how I expected ... at the level of a good WAFL player.

Most selections - yep. Greater physicality for starters. Pity and poor PR about Jones, offers something in right place/time but as has been said, he'd make one too many big 'n slows.
But as for my boy Giro....Crowden in this time as fresher pressure, ok. But I'm predicting Giro - modestly based on my predictions from seeing the very earliest games of SHill/Fyfe/Blakely/Ryan/Langdon that they'd be significant players for us - will join our 'significant player' group. He thinks and acts (and moves) fast. Crowden's a decent young bloke, Giro's a smarter faster footballer.

I really hope we get to see Cam at his best but atm he looks like a 'Gunna'. (Gunna do this, Gunna do that).
All I have seen rarely, is a laser kick from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matera can be a multiple goal kicking small forward. He won't do that fr olm the centre square or getting the ball on the wing.

I reckon ross has wasted Stephen hills career trying to make him play inside and now in defence. Also Walters from a first class small forward to an undersized and slow mid. I don't get what his thinking is.
Definitely. Stephen Hill inside mid is perfect for him. Was huge in 2012/13. Now he's barely tracking along in a defensive role. Ross makes all these players defensive and out of form.
I feel for Matera. He can kick goals and can be better then this. Yet he's playing through the centre and getting kicks outside defensive 50 :/.
How is he supposed to get into form then.. it's baffling

I actually thought that was Jones's best game last week.. I noticed him more making a difference(in a losing team) a few times and using his body.. he had 7 marks.. But I guess someone has to come out for Tabs.

Throwing it in the ring....if we play to our player ability and to a good coached team plan we can knock them over.

Shuey, Gaff, Redden and Yeo likely can determine things if we dont play as stong and efficient with Darling and Mc Govern hopefully not getting on top. Tackling pressure will need to be spot on to stop Hurn's influence out of defence.

For us I see Taberner and Grey as significant inclusions that give balance to our side and with Tabs Cox and Mac as our forward three we should have fire power along with smalls Grey Ballantyne Crowden Matera. Lot of talent out there for us in this game - even spread Mundy, Walters, Langdon, Hill brothers, Neill, Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker, Wilson, Ryan and Banfield.

No injury to our big guys and I think we can win.

Even if we don't win, another 15 to 20 games under there belt together I think this team wilh a few inclusions will be very very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back