Racing Derby Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon it has been the last 3 years now. It’s become one of my favourite races of the carnival. The VRC have done an exceptional job in making it the race that it is now.
Also starting to rival Caul Guineas as a stallion making race. Some.winners last 6 years

Merchant Navy
Zoustar
Sepoy

Race was formerly Ascot Vale Stakes which from memory used to be run September

I reckon it has been the last 3 years now. It’s become one of my favourite races of the carnival. The VRC have done an exceptional job in making it the race that it is now.

I was going to say the exact opposite. Always billed as a classic race before the hot pot squib gets rolled and most of the rest of the field go on to do bugger all.

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree. Has all the hall marks of a Hampton Court (I think?) re run. It was trained by Gai and won a couple of the lead ups from the front. Started fave on the day…led and was one of the first beaten. I’m expecting something similar Saturday.

Not that that helps much as outside the fave they are all taking turns. Might just default to Aramarayo as was on it at Newcastle and showed a touch of dash in the Spring Champion. James has already won it too.

Yep was on that day as well, the Newcastle run screamed it should like Flemington. Came around the corner at the Valley like a drunken soldier, looks the best value to my eye.

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Amazing fields once again for Derby Day
My thoughts/bets below

R1. Adana
R2. Very Elleegant
R3. Winter Bride
R4. Patrick Erin
R5. Written By
R6. Shillelagh
R7. Savvy Oak E/W (have Farooq antepost)
R8. Le Romain - value of day nearly for me, with that form around Winx
R9. Snitty Kitty

Thoughts on Jaameh in the Lexus?
And prince of arran?? I know nothing about it except they don’t really wanna run it unless they have to according to the trainer.. can’t tell if that’s bad or not

They won’t want to run it as they will worry about the quick backup into the cup. If Prince runs on Saturday he is the one to beat.

And having seen the Coolmore looks a very moderate edition. I still don’t think Zousain is a 1200m horse and outside Written By and Sunlight the rest have proven not to be near the top of their generations.

Very meh race.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Thoughts on Jaameh in the Lexus?
And prince of arran?? I know nothing about it except they don’t really wanna run it unless they have to according to the trainer.. can’t tell if that’s bad or not

It's my special for the day. Experience at the T&D is a big factor IMO.

2 wins from 3, and only just went down the other time against Avilius.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
And having seen the Coolmore looks a very moderate edition. I still don’t think Zousain is a 1200m horse and outside Written By and Sunlight the rest have proven not to be near the top of their generations.

Very meh race.

I actually think the opposite, yeah, it's not a massive field, but it'll be a much better race than what it suggest on paper.
I like Encryption. Cummings has it peaking at the right time for this.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually think the opposite, yeah, it's not a massive field, but it'll be a much better race than what it suggest on paper.
I like Encryption. Cummings has it peaking at the right time for this.
Cummings/Oshea of Godolphin tends to win the races before the carnival then fall away during.. Will not touch any of their horses with a 100 foot pole

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ossy will walk in on Saturday. Thought Cummings would save him for the VRC sprint tbh.

Disregard last start on bog when outside fence was 20 lengths quicker. Not excited by first look at straight or finding a path past every runner, especially if there's a highway. Can win but at the price will be looking on

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Runson runs up to his last start he wins by lengths.... but i don't trust him. There is NO speed in that race and they generally walk down the straight anway. OB legit 10s pop in my eyes with the weight

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
If Runson runs up to his last start he wins by lengths.... but i don't trust him. There is NO speed in that race and they generally walk down the straight anway. OB legit 10s pop in my eyes with the weight
agree.
Winter Bride is my pick, been winning well of late and drops on weight

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Thoughts mares race?
I am a Star sure topweight and all but $16s for a winner that excels track and distance cant be ignored.

Not sure the 3year olds are that special
Like I am a star aswell, cause it keeps winning and going up in price. Also like Zoutori in the carbine. 17s. Good formlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back