Autopsy Derby loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine being andrews mum. As the eagles supporters gave gaff a standing ovation or the players gathered around the perpertrator. It would have been heartbreaking, it would have been spine chilling as the hysteria went around the ground. Eagles at there absolute worst yesterday
They are beyond disgusting. How could anyone take a child to one of their feral games?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I normally don't have this much hate in me as I have now for that establishment up the road,but Nisbett's comments have tipped me over the edge.

Nisbett's comments saying that Lyon's take on the incident were innappropriate-WTF....
I hate that man. He is evil personified.

Gaff s**t aside.

- Tabs was rusty af, Cox has dropped off quite a bit from his purple patch and McCarthy's first half was awful. As a group they bumped into each other, missed 3 fairly easy shots, crowded each others space, rarely blocked or provide dummy runs to create space for each other.

Yet they still kicked 5.3 between them with 2-3 complete misses. Could have easily kicked 7-8 goals between the three of them against a top2 side. So much room for improvement on an individual basis and working as a forward unit.

A forward structure helped bring in the smalls (Matera/Walters/Ballas) also kicking 5 goals.

We butchered the ball so badly though that it's just impossible to defend. AP is desperately in need of the end of season. He has done alot this season but I think he is struggling after a long season coming off 2yrs out.

Hamling was sorely missed and I think Nyhuis covers a massive need in our backline. Opposition smalls have been having a field day.

Brayshaw was looking like a ******* A grade mid.
Thanks for the summary. We were at the Avon Descent and didn't hear anything until after the game.

Gaff s**t aside.

- Tabs was rusty af, Cox has dropped off quite a bit from his purple patch and McCarthy's first half was awful. As a group they bumped into each other, missed 3 fairly easy shots, crowded each others space, rarely blocked or provide dummy runs to create space for each other.

Yet they still kicked 5.3 between them with 2-3 complete misses. Could have easily kicked 7-8 goals between the three of them against a top2 side. So much room for improvement on an individual basis and working as a forward unit.

A forward structure helped bring in the smalls (Matera/Walters/Ballas) also kicking 5 goals.

We butchered the ball so badly though that it's just impossible to defend. AP is desperately in need of the end of season. He has done alot this season but I think he is struggling after a long season coming off 2yrs out.

Hamling was sorely missed and I think Nyhuis covers a massive need in our backline. Opposition smalls have been having a field day.

Brayshaw was looking like a ******* A grade mid.

Well said, I think we have 10 players who need the season to end, or just building fitness. It is the same as the last year, we have run out of steam.

You have Simpson saying we as a club(west coast cowards) & Gaff have to take ownership of the coward punch on Brayshaw.
And then you get Nisbett stating the eagles might still contest the ruling.

Simpson et al are only prepared to take ownership of that altered version of events where gaffs punch wasn’t intentional

Nisbet is a total prick and one is only slightly better than the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Game seems like an eternity ago now.

As much as we sucked overall I thought there were still some good signs:
  • Darcy was much better in the ruck. Plenty of hit-outs to advantage helping us dominate clearances in the first half of the game (Mundy may have helped a bit as well). Just needs more fitness so he can run out full games. Expecting he'll be more serviceable and consistent next year and has the tools to build in to one of the best rucks in the comp in future years.
  • The forward setup with Tabs, Cox and McCarthy looked so much better than previous weeks. Execution still a mess but you can forgive Tabs being very rusty and Cox tired toward the end of season. McCarthy suits the 3rd tall role so much more and I'd expect his fitness program in the off season to better reflect that role in future. Get these three guys more fit and more time to play alongside each other and we should see a far improved forward line.
  • Given Hamling was out and Alex Pearce looks knackered I thought our defence held up reasonably given how quickly the ball was coming in off the back of turnovers. We got smashed mostly by their crumbing small forwards out the back of the pack. As much as it was frustrating that's a lot easier to fix than truckloads of marks inside 50 against (we actually had more marks i50 than them!).
  • Our turnovers are what cost us remaining competitive in that game but I also thought some of our ball movement from the backline to the forward half was generally pretty good. It's still that connection between forwards and mids destroying us the most. I think the forward line aspects can be improved considerably next season by continued development and better fitness for our existing talls, and by adding more dangerous smalls/mediums via trade/draft. We not only need the right personnel up front but we also need them fit and used to playing with each other (ie like our backline has evolved this season). We had 13 marks inside 50 (not too bad) so I think our mids delivery improved a lot on recent weeks and it would have been a lot more if Tabs and Cox could have held the many marks they should have. I think pushing Cerra into the midfield will help a bit (and Bennell please please please!). As our most composed kick i50 I'd also like Stephen Hill back in the midfield please. A bit more composure in and around forward 50 and the scoreline would have been much more reasonable imo.
  • Brayshaw was fantastic. Going to be an absolute gun for us.
A 58 point deficit is bloody horrible but given the outs and where we are at I was a lot more satisfied with that game (prior to the Gaff incident) than the Hawthorn and Brisbane games.

There were some good signs but the bottom line is it was a 50 plus point loss and we look very ordinary in many situations. Not sure how many more 'good signs' I can take TBH.
You'll need to have a couple more years of it, IMO.

Manage your expectations against reality and not your dreams and you'll find the whole thing a lot more enjoyable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was overseas for the last 4 games (with no access) so followed on the GD thread.
Going by the general feel of the derby GD thread I thought we were atrocious - got a chance to watch the game last night and was pleasantly surprised TBH.

My observations after not seeing the team play for a month:
1. I could some slight improvement, whether that was the personnel with no Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Giro etc and inclusion of Tabs or the style of play in general.
2. I did notice we looked to work the ball up the centre a little more via Shill, Bhill and Wilson - almost all of our positive movement came via these 3 and the Eagles took every movement involving these guys very seriously (hence all the holding free's against). While this looked an improvement, there was still the disconnect through the half forward area when it was not a streaming run from the HBF. The forwards looked dangerous at times but mostly disorganized - which you could argue is to be expected somewhat.
3. Cox does look a little lame
4. Sean Darcy will be significantly harder to match up on next year. Can jump at times but very hard to beat when both rucks were planted on the ground - really good signs his bodywork is improving
5. limit the turnovers and we'll look 100 times better
6. Jeez Andy Brayshaw's game has come along since I saw him play last. He ran through the ball and through the lines for the first real time that I'd seen and looked amazing. Can use his shimmy and step to advantage and I now see the Cotchin similarities
7. we need to change the mid set-up. Matera at centre bounces is horrible to watch

That is as animated as I have seen Ross since Shane.

Is the bolded a joke to try and make us all laugh given the way today played out or are you Peter Sumich?
If you listened to Peter Sumich you should know he has the knowledge to get the young kids up and move us forward and he's the under 18's coach and he has done well

If you listened to Peter Sumich you should know he has the knowledge to get the young kids up and move us forward and he's the under 18's coach and he has done well

One of the better assistant coaches we’ve had. He even had the Freo forward line producing in the Lyon game plan! That’s a massive achievement in itself! Many have tried, he’s the only one to succeed at Freo.
Anyone that doesn’t think he’d be a better option that every assistant that we’ve currently got is deluded.

The club that gives Suma a start will not regret it, he is very astute..however he isn't very good in the media and comes across as a bit of a dummy but he is very clever. I think if you guys gave him the top job you would not regret it.

The club that gives Suma a start will not regret it, he is very astute..however he isn't very good in the media and comes across as a bit of a dummy but he is very clever. I think if you guys gave him the top job you would not regret it.

I think Sumich is one of those types who makes a fantastic career assistant. But would struggle with the full responsibility of a senior role, ala Mark Harvey

I think Sumich is one of those types who makes a fantastic career assistant. But would struggle with the full responsibility of a senior role, ala Mark Harvey
How did well at south fremantle when he was there he got them a premiership when he wa the coach there and he helped the dockers get to the 2013 grand final its not his fault that ross lyon would not listen to what he had to say.

I have listened to Peter Sumich on 6pr. If people have knowledge of football and what he is doing at the under 18's very smart man and he would have the passion to do good work at Freo

How did well at south fremantle when he was there he got them a premiership when he wa the coach there and he helped the dockers get to the 2013 grand final its not his fault that ross lyon would not listen to what he had to say.
Actually he lost the gf with a freo aligned south fremantle to the mighty West Perth falcons....the guy is an average coach at best, with an axe to grind and should never again set foot within the freo footy club!

Actually he lost the gf with a freo aligned south fremantle to the mighty West Perth falcons....the guy is an average coach at best, with an axe to grind and should never again set foot within the freo footy club!

My memory was that Micale was coaching the 1999 grand final against the mighty Falcons and that Sumich was in charge in 2001 when Eagles-aligned East Perth beat South. But I could be wrong.

Sumich was 2001. Got Souths to a GF in his 2nd year but they lost by 82 points and didn't score a goal after half time. 17:18 to 5:8.

Then he moved on to the AFL. The other year he coached SF (2000) they finished 7th with 8 wins, but I think there was the alignment with Fremantle still going, or about to end. Micale was 1999 - SF went in favourites but lost to WP with Dockers players like Mann, Grover, Taylor playing for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back